Still Angry

Great Red Shark

Super Anarchist
Honolulu
So the gist of it is somebody tried to register it as a stock Cat 25 ?   Nothing to see here? 

Gonna have to shift the boat a lot farther than THAT if you want to pull that one,  no?

Assuming that in it's racing heyday it was properly declared/certified (of course) wouldn't the rating just follow it until changed?

Good tale.   

We had a fixed-keel 22 that we salvaged and put on the race track and had more fun with than I can ever explain.

20200828_073929.jpg

jesposito

Super Anarchist
So the gist of it is somebody tried to register it as a stock Cat 25 ?   Nothing to see here? 

Gonna have to shift the boat a lot farther than THAT if you want to pull that one,  no?

Assuming that in it's racing heyday it was properly declared/certified (of course) wouldn't the rating just follow it until changed?

Good tale.   

We had a fixed-keel 22 that we salvaged and put on the race track and had more fun with than I can ever explain.

View attachment 511514
This happens all the time with MORC boats :ph34r:

Sail4beer

Usual suspect
Toms River,NJ
Good rant by a pissant with a grudge from the read on TFP.  You really have to want to win at all costs in PHRF if you hire a diver to inspect the competition’s boat. I hope the diver cleaned both bottoms while he was measuring the keels and the author better have had permission to board the vessel in question to measure the I length.

Maybe the Jackoff noticed the tall rig as he was standing on the dock looking up at the rigs of a couple of ancient 25’s and had the wherewithal to come up with a plan to confront an owner with what is an old mod done way back by cool folk for a specific reason. The new owner probably didn’t know shit about he mods or care ‘cause it’s just PHRF. Maybe jackoff should take a look in the mirror. People are dying by the millions everyday somewhere here on Earth.

Last edited by a moderator:

Snaggletooth

SA's Morrelle Compasse
So the gist of it is somebody tried to register it as a stock Cat 25 ? er explain.
A hachette throwen at a mooving targette frome 5,000 yardes............

Butte then we encouriagged hime withe..........

This happens all the time with MORC boats :ph34r:
and 

Good rant by a pissant with a grudge from the read on TFP.  
and

PHRF. Guaranteed to get peoples panties in a wad!
I cane onley shacke my heade in shamme and discusste......  howe quickey we turne on our owen bretheren.......          :)

Snaggletooth

SA's Morrelle Compasse
PHRF = panties hurriedlley remogriffiede

we alle wondere, then ist done.......... an theire nothin we cane do aboute it               :)

Yeah people and phrf can suck sometimes. We had a fair amount of it in the northern Gulf Coast. When I had my J24 I raced against a heavily modified Merit 25 that I still owed time. The only conditions where my boat was faster was in 15+. After a couple ratings appeals to the local handicapper, I learned a lesson about local politics and the phrase “its who you know” will always stick in my head. 
Both the Merit 25 and my old J24 succumbed to Hurricane Michael so the point is mute.

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
Volunteer to serve on the local PHRF committee.

Gives you option to bitch much louder; also you can take two paths... enrich yourself with lots of knick-knacks for your trophy shelf, win friends with gift ratings for their boats; or you can apply some simple math and work at producing fair racing that allows more people to enjoy the sport.

No judgement here.

- DSK

Swimsailor

Super Anarchist
WA
Not sure what the issue is.  The boat isn't a stock Capri 25 and shouldn't be rated as such.

I actually wonder if the new owner even knows he has a modified boat.  Us Capri 25 owners can be a interesting lot.

Last edited by a moderator:

Meat Wad

Super Anarchist
PHRF. Guaranteed to get peoples panties in a wad!
What kind of a Wad, wink wink

What the hell, I sail a PHRF cheater myself!
Boats are not cheaters, the people who own them, modified them, did not declare the Mods and sail them, are the cheaters.

I can list several boats (owners would remain unnamed) in So Cal Area A that have been rated, then modified/changed and let the cert lapse and enter the local races that require no cert no YC affiliation. We finally caught them and hit them hard.

There is a boat in the SA Classified that if you are thinking of buying, make sure you get certified weight, rig and sail measurements.  

Volunteer to serve on the local PHRF committee.

Gives you option to bitch much louder; also you can take two paths... enrich yourself with lots of knick-knacks for your trophy shelf, win friends with gift ratings for their boats; or you can apply some simple math and work at producing fair racing that allows more people to enjoy the sport.

No judgement here.

- DSK
Been there done that. Believe me it takes time to do it right.

There are so many different boats out there right now from the late 60's to the newest of the new.
Many of these new boats are very hard to rate because in many conditions they can plane. Planning like Foiling is un-ratable and should be required to race under a class or one of the strict measurement rules.

Not sure what the issue is.  The boat isn't a stock Capri 25 and shouldn't be rated as such.

I actually wonder if the new owner even knows he has a modified boat.  Us Capri 25 owners can be a interesting lot.
In section 3 of the So Cal PHrF rules https://phrfsocal.org/wp-content/uploads/Rules/lr.pdf, the cover this issue. The real problem is getting the board to issue certificates with the designations that the rules stipulate. I brought this up at a regional meeting and like many things it is not a priority.

In area A we have the Proto-type of the next gen of the 80's S 3030 GP. I has cored laminate hull, Eliptical keel and rudder, Taller rig, lighter interior. It is a fast and powerful 30' if sailed right. None of the Original S 3030uness heavily modified can compete with it.
What is wrong, was PHRF got influenced back in the late 80's to gift it a rating based on the old version 3030gp. The new owner, decades later, wanted the gift rating back because he cannot sail it to the real rating. A former Collegiate All American jumped on board and almost swept the regatta in the B class. 3 different boats won a race by seconds and the top 3 were 1 point apart. The boat was obviously fast and rated properly.

Latest posts