• The Forum will be unavailable on March 27, 2023 from 8:AM to 12:00 PM EST for maintenance.

Stop the press , just bought 2 f40s, and 3 Marstrom 32s, Partners needed, for real!

Wess

Super Anarchist
I'm sorry, but I can't let this comment slide. You are not understanding the love that has been poured into Skateaway. This resulted in a level of perfection that few of our boats achieve.
What is the point of taking mean spirited pot shots at her.... especially during Christmas. Come on man..,. spread some good will
Exactly. That is what I was reacting to also. You hope you are selling your much loved boat to somebody who will care for her as much as you did and instead find out you sold to somebody who does this…

multihuler

Anarchist
Reno
I didn't see you come sail her, and everyone was invited, over 50 people have been on her this last year, I even loaned her out twice.
Her real love would be to race, my trip to the Bahamas just didn't feel right, so I will keep looking for that special application

solosailor

Super Anarchist
San Francisco Bay
You are not understanding the love that has been poured into Skateaway. This resulted in a level of perfection that few of our boats achieve.
Love doesn't make for market value. I know what putting love into a boat means. I spend 600 hours in 2021 rebuilding my almost 25y/o boat plus $25k in materials. So I put nearly into her in one year that she was worth.

Plenty of people put 20-40k+ into a car restoration on a car that will be worth barely that.

Ravenswing

$200k for a $50-75k boat.
Solo, what’s your pricing basis there? Where on the planet would one find a formula 40, very high performance, full cruising cabin, impeccably maintained, custom trimaran for 50 grand? Just her high modulus Composite Engineering mast is worth more than that. Or her top of the line sails.
Go look at her (2020?) sales promo video on YouTube for proof of value.
And for any potential shoppers out there, I’ve been on Skateaway and she’s in a far higher league than SoloSailor’s comment.

Goodvibes

under the southern cross I stand ...
I had to double-check after reading the OP.

For a minute there I thought it must have been fakebook.

multihuler

Anarchist
Reno
$200k for a $50-75k boat.
Technically nothing is worth anything in our make believe world, and
boats are just tools to fufill dreams, her true value is in her mission, as a toy to sail back in forth maybe she is ridiculously expensive, but there are those people that dream big, like the OSTAR, the Rhoute du Rhum or the transpac, in this application she is a incredibly serious tool, or I like weapon, even though it hurts people's fealings.. so for those of you that want to surf down waves for hours in the 20 knot range, thousands of miles offshore consider puting the money in your equipment not the bank, but that is just me.
Ps, your still invited to go sail on her

Geese

Washington is a charming little town with clean air conditioned bathrooms, a friendly dock master and where everyone you encounter asks about your sailing day and hopes you had a good time. There are cheap hotels, a Walmart and a West Marine a mile away from the wharf and along the old town nice dining/fancy coffees/signature cocktails cost about .7x of what it does in larger NC towns, and about .5x of Annapolis. You can fly into Raleigh Durham and be there in <2 hrs. If you are nice, you can fly into Norfolk and ride down with me. Unlike most boat projects/deliveries I get involved with, sailing with Stephen (and my family on Skateaway) has actually helped my marriage, and my 4 year old daughter asks when we will get to go back to the trimaran almost every day.

eastern motors

Anarchist
Were you able to get insurance on Skateaway? What terms?

Asking because these youtubers recently had their insurance cancelled right after purchase. Boat is a homebuilt F-boat.

eastern motors

Anarchist
It's not just the boat being insured - it is also the owner. Have they much/any experience?
They had insurance. It was cancelled after a couple days.

They owned a Tartan 37 and have made 116 videos for their youtube channel. Maybe the insurance company watched them sailing...

LiquidSun

Not Sunny
Seattle
My guess is Progressive discovered the F31 hadn't been registered in 7(?) years. It was also homebuilt. Again, spitballing here.

teamvmg

Super Anarchist
My guess is Progressive discovered the F31 hadn't been registered in 7(?) years. It was also homebuilt. Again, spitballing here.
They agreed cover before the purchase, the purchase went ahead, then they withdrew cover! pretty crappy business model!

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
It’s damn challenging. Add ocean coverage and the pricing is nosebleed. Do I keep my ocean coverage for a year when I don’t need it, so I hope it’s available for PacCup 2024?

We're keeping our insurance since we are afraid to lose if if we suspend. We are taking a 15 month break from a circumnavigation on a 'home built' 2001 40 foot trimaran.
Ours is $1,700/year 3rd party only Liability world wide.
We also found this available if you have a Kiwi address and kiwi bank account (we do) in Australia for up to 10 million 3rd party and at a lower cost

Last edited:

eastern motors

Anarchist
We're keeping our insurance since we are afraid to lose if if we suspend. We are taking a 15 month break from a circumnavigation on a 'home built' 2001 40 foot trimaran.
Ours is $1,700/year 3rd party only Liability world wide.
We also found this available if you have a Kiwi address and kiwi bank account (we do) in Australia for up to 10 million 3rd party and at a lower cost
So your boat isn't actually covered?

Latest posts