storing spins or zeros on furlers

I'm thinking about putting anasym spin or zero on furler but have concers about how they store below decks when not in use.

Does the torsional line make it difficult or is there a "bad" way to store it? Anybody have any advice or observations?

P_Wop

Super Anarchist
Bay Area, CA
We have a zero on the Jeanneau Sunfast 3200 that stores happily below, no worries. Bigger bag seems to be better so you don't put too many tight bends in it. Laying it out as a figure-8 works well too, rather than in a circle.

So I'm guessing that the torsional luff rope is "allowed" to be bent but not too much and too often.

Curious about the figure 8; did the circular method produce a negative effect in the furling or unfurling of the sail? I could see that it would similarly to the way in which there is a good way and a bad way to coil rope but was hoping that a large circle with the coils held together by Velcro straps would store well, be easy to handle and maybe even easy to "roll out".

How big is the figure 8 and is your Sunfast the new boat in San Diego?

P_Wop

Super Anarchist
Bay Area, CA
Figure 8 reduces tangles when hoisting it out of the hatch as it doesn't mungle up the rotation of the furler setup by putting a series of twists into everything - same as coiling a bit of spectra line.

Bag is about 4' x 2½' x 2½', i.e. normal (biggish) kite bag.

And we're in SF Bay.

Rodfavela

Anarchist
Texas
Yes, you can store it and it comes on a spool, but with a high radius. Think about the Anti-torsion ropes the same way you will coil a headstay or a shroud and it can be stored exactly the same way. Also, having the sail wrapped around it, the radius gets increased.

teamvmg

Super Anarchist
My top-down furler kit just arrived from Colligo and the Torque line is coiled up with about 400mm diameter, so I guess that it can be coiled as tight as the the rolled sail will allow

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
P_Wop - hows the 3200 on SF Bay? Mostly racing, but I need a boat that can be daysailed/overnighted with the kids.

P_Wop

Super Anarchist
Bay Area, CA
P_Wop - hows the 3200 on SF Bay? Mostly racing, but I need a boat that can be daysailed/overnighted with the kids.
The 3200 is an excellent SF Bay boat, especially with its modest rig. Sails well to its rating, easy to handle, and easy short-handed. And a tough little mother too - hard to bust it. Reasonable interior too (with table), and a couple of big aft bunks as well as the saloon and forepeak.

Send me a PM and I'll ask the guys if we can get you out on it to see.

FYI, here's it doing a 2-handed.... (Thanks to PressureDrop for the pic)

10291803_848541378505098_2963386819496510167_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

DWD

What's that weird pole attached to your mast?
This is the same pole being used differently on a 3200 (the one now in SD since 2012).

Flash, check the SA classifieds and contact me (not SA PM as it is not checked) if you want to talk about sailing/buying a 3200 in SF bay.

As to the original question, I also store the furled zero in a large spinnaker bag. But I don't do any special figure 8's, just layer it in so it comes out easy.

3200-4.jpg