Suggested 30' Boats for Short Handed Long Distance Racing

Snatch Block

Canada
I have a budget between $20000 - $30000 for a boat around 30'.
Single or Double handed, longer distance racing.
PHRF range between 80-115
Here's My List:

Olson 30 - Lots of them around
Hobie 33 -  
Henderson 30 - Probably alot to handle
Mumm (Farr) 30 Probably alot to handle
Nelson Marek 30 - MORC
J-27. J-29, J-30 J-80...I like my J's
Flying Tiger 10M - Probably alot to handle
Admiralty 30 - looks like a skinny but fun boat

Comments and or suggestions of other boats to consider?
Thanks

Pokey uh da LBC

Anarchist
Long Beach
As a past owner of a Farr 30, I'd say it's too much to handle for a single person in anything but very light conditions. Not that it's impossible, just beyond what's considered fun by most humans. Based on specs and other posts, the H30 and FT10 are probably even harder to single hand.

Also owned a J29. Great boat and doable single handed, but the 155 jib makes for slow tacks. Great for double handing though. Frac rig is your best best because of the smaller fore triangle. J30 is also a good choice but out of the rating band.

The Olson 30 has done a single handed Transpac and other distance races. Also consider an Olson 911. Way more comfortable than the above boats, but just misses your rating band.

ryley

Super Anarchist
Boston, MA
Antrim 27, bull 7000, Freedom 30 or 32...

The admiralty 30 is going to be really uncomfortable for long distance racing and may not be able to be brought up to the appropriate OSR. For that matter, a J105 is a good offshore shorthanded boat, just a bit above your budget - they start around $38k and go up, but they will handle nearly anything you throw at them. You could go the other way and go J80, the ergonomics is pretty easy to set up for shorthanded.

Snatch Block

Canada
O30 is probably the way to go...interior is a dungeon thus no points will be scored with my bride.

No matter how much you do to tart it up...it will always be an armpit

Snatch Block

Canada
Was also looking at a Carrera 290.

Kind of an odd duck, low freeboard, decks are angled away thus you always feel like your about to fall off.

Roleur

Super Anarchist
Orcas Island
Olson 911S or Capo 30 (similar/same boats, different builders).  Standing headroom and offshore capability.  Your bride will love you for it.

TJSoCal

Super Anarchist
The Olson 30 has done a single handed Transpac and other distance races. 
Funny I was talking to a guy the other day who was talking about how they established a fleet of Olson 30s on Kauai. Basically they would find Transpac finishers and offer to buy the boats for cheap - better option than shipping or sailing them back to California...

Hadlock

I have a budget between $20000 - $30000 for a boat around 30'.
Single or Double handed, longer distance racing.
PHRF range between 80-115
Here's My List:
J-27. J-29, J-30 J-80...I like my J's

O30 is probably the way to go...interior is a dungeon thus no points will be scored with my bride.

No matter how much you do to tart it up...it will always be an armpit
What does your local fleet(s) look like? Canada is a pretty vast area. Getting a boat somewhat similar to what's in your area has some positive network effects. Express 27 and Moore 24 would be good options in my area.

If you are bringing the Admiral on regularly... I would say get the J/29, possibly J/27. If you get the right boat they have a somewhat homey interior which is going to entice repeat visits to the boat.

I played this game three years ago with the wife and with a slightly larger budget, ended up with the J/105 because of the interior and ability to maybe go do a hawaii race someday. J/80 mechanically is very similar (and a lot easier to single/double-hand) but the interior is still a Deluxe Armpit++

That said, the wife likes the boat and as a result we clock ~22 regatta weekends a year on the boat together. I do not see a lot of skippers out sailing with their better halves (for a variety of reasons) so I would weight the interior pretty heavily if sailing with the bride is an important factor for you.

Snatch Block

Canada
I must apologize to JoelGreatLakes who had virtually the same forum request - Shorthanded Offshore Trailerable Boat Suggestions: See Criteria

I missed seeing it and sort of "hijacked" it as my Forum Request was similar.

Buy you a beer?

Last edited by a moderator:

JoelGreatLakes

I must apologize to JoelGreatLakes who had virtually the same forum request - Shorthanded Offshore Trailerable Boat Suggestions: See Criteria

I missed seeing it and sort of "hijacked" it as my Forum Request was similar.

Buy you a beer?
Ill never argue with a beer! But I had a ramp launch requirement in the list which cut out a lot of great options. 

Crash

Super Anarchist
SoCal
As someone said, Canada a big place.  So where are you PNW?  Great Lakes?  Canadian Maritimes?  What distances and races are you talking?  Bermuda?  Transpac?  Chi-Mac? or Around the Island type races? 1-2 days?  4-6 days?  10-14 days?

Any other use for the boat?  Day sailing, weekend cruising?  Crewed PHRF beercans?  Or solely long distance/shorthanded work?

Answers to those would help neck down the suggestions to a boat in your area.  

J-30, J-27, J/80 all miss the "slower" end (PHRF 115) of your rating band, so is that rating band more flexible?

Callahan

Anarchist
J/92. stiffer than J-29 and much stiffer than Olson 30. Sprit, inboard.  Usually have a trailer.  $35,000 US is possible but hard to find.