Sun Fast 3300

Snowden

Super Anarchist
UK
They want the traveler as far aft & wide as possible. The rudder stock still terminates on the deck - so if consumers wanted the option, I'm sure they can revive the raised traveler track for the tillers go pass under. 
I suppose the next step is across the transom at deck level like IMOCA, Class 40 etc etc

Snowden

Super Anarchist
UK
hoppy said:
It looks to me that it might be possible that the hull shape may reduce the amount of hull in the water when planning
You have opened a can of worms there by using the 'p' word.

This is a 3.5 ton 33 footer, who knows what the actual sailing weight will be.

Hold Fast

That hull shape reminds me of something. IOR. Seems that's where we are heading back again, hull shapes for rating not speed. Great. 
 does look a bit like that. 

the 3200 & 3600 were a success, hard to think they'd be taking a backwards step. 

assume they're trying to address the stickiness the 3200's suffered from?

they've got significantly less beam. Slightly more weight, but added length. 

Miffy

Super Anarchist
The coachroof cutaways are mainly for sheeting angles, tell me how a deck shape affects the rating?
If you say so - never noticed a hull cutaway changing how a friction ring system works. 

Cutting the deck affects max beam measurement, reduced weight while allowing the boats to have large volumes at the bow. It might not seem much - but when they carry that natural line from the bow to the chainplates, it sometimes moves the aft beam measurement by a meter. 

Fastrak

Lymington UK
hoppy said:
Isn't it done like that for water flow, i.e. speed?

It looks to me that it might be possible that the hull shape may reduce the amount of hull in the water when planning
The hull shape is designed to promote earlier surfing/planing compared to the 3200, with less wetted surface area and more sail area. With the mast and keep positioned further aft, the jib and spinnaker can be bigger. The twin tillers on the 3200 worked well, except that they were targets for the mainsheet to wrap around!! This won't be the case on the 3300.The design has a downwind bias, good for the Transquadra, but maintains the high stability for upwind work. The hull inflexions are there for hydrodynamic reasons, not as IRC rule cheats. Give Verdier a clean sheet of paper and he always draws fast boats (Comanche, Hugo Boss etc), Andrieu's challenge has been to keep the boat IRC friendly without losing the Verdier sparkle. I'll let you know in June when I get my 3300.

Last edited by a moderator:

huey 2

Super Anarchist
syd
Similar to John Morgans Classe 950 from a while back....it was distorted for a combination of upwind ..then reach , .. and downwind with a big bum

he then modified hull to have a cant keel version of the hull...   not classe 950

image.png

Flaming

Anarchist
UK
. I'll let you know in June when I get my 3300.
Any crewed inshore in your plans? We’ve just taken on a JPK1010 and it looks like we’re going to be within a few points...

but we’re an almost entirely inshore program, wondering if we’re likely to line up against any 3300s next year? Should be close racing. 

Fastrak

Lymington UK
Any crewed inshore in your plans? We’ve just taken on a JPK1010 and it looks like we’re going to be within a few points...

but we’re an almost entirely inshore program, wondering if we’re likely to line up against any 3300s next year? Should be close racing. 
I do mainly Offshore and solo or double-handed. But for this coming Summer we are considering a crewed Fastnet campaign and the Double-Handed IRC Nationals. In 2020 there is the Transquadra - on my bucket shop list.

Miffy

Super Anarchist
Difficult to understand this race, what do folks do between the 2 legs?
Same as Minitransat. Some people work on their boats, some people rent a house with other skippers and crew and have a good time. Some go back to the continent to family and work.