Sun Fast 3300

Roleur

Super Anarchist
Orcas Island
Roleur,

Is your fuel gauge accurate.   Mine is not and after calling the gauge manufacture there is no calibration.  Mine read empty when there is about 4 gallons left.  

From the manufacture "The gauge part number 301-010-002 is 10-180 ohms and is not adjustable. Only the fuel gauge for the 90-0 ohm tube type sending unit is adjustable."
I'm not sure.  As a rule, I don't trust the gauge, so I do a visual of the fuel tank from the aft end.  

The Dark Knight

Super Anarchist
Brisvegas
Rohan Veal (of Moth racing fame, Oz) has a couple of vids out on 3300. He seems to be working with a importer. Says they are doing mostly double handed stuff - but the boat he reviews does not have tanks. What is weight penalty to have tanks?
Rohan is the Melbourne Jeanneau dealer. He is currently in Brisbane commissioning a 3300 which he is setting up for others to do the next S2H 

longy

Overlord of Anarchy
San Diego
Rohan is the Melbourne Jeanneau dealer. He is currently in Brisbane commissioning a 3300 which he is setting up for others to do the next S2H 
So why is he importing boats without water ballast? I'm sure he's got a solid reason, and it may be relevant to some Ozzie specific handicap rule, but I'd be interested to know why

Snowden

Super Anarchist
UK
So why is he importing boats without water ballast? I'm sure he's got a solid reason, and it may be relevant to some Ozzie specific handicap rule, but I'd be interested to know why
Stability for Hobart regs? There was another thread around here discussing some wrinkle in the Bermuda race eligibility criteria that made it either harder or easier to qualify if you had WB. Can't remember what the conclusion was.

The Dark Knight

Super Anarchist
Brisvegas
his last plaything/demo boat was setup for inshore racing. Not everyone who has the money and desire to buy a 3300 wants to race offshore 2 handed.

In Melbourne where he is based, the club that organises the ocean racing is innovative boats with a crew of 4 use the autopilot in recognition that getting crew these days is a challenge and to encourage boats. A non water ballasted 3300 would be a good option.

robalex117

Super Anarchist
Stability for Hobart regs? There was another thread around here discussing some wrinkle in the Bermuda race eligibility criteria that made it either harder or easier to qualify if you had WB. Can't remember what the conclusion was.
The N2B issue was discussed in this thread around the time of Feb 2022.  Scroll up.  Conclusion was boat was eligible based on the alternative stability requirements if the boat is a canter or has water ballast.  So if you had a 3300 without WB you would not be eligible.  

Snowden

Super Anarchist
UK
The N2B issue was discussed in this thread around the time of Feb 2022.  Scroll up.  Conclusion was boat was eligible based on the alternative stability requirements if the boat is a canter or has water ballast.  So if you had a 3300 without WB you would not be eligible.  
Cheers, so wrong way round to be the explanation here!

robalex117

Super Anarchist
Two new videos Shirley and Dee have up on their new boat and campaign. Love watching these things to see how others do their boats. Things I have seen. Removed all the cleats. Load sensors not only on forestay but also on v1. But the biggest thing is they got their boat without factory water ballast and put in their own. Looks like almost double although now can't remember.

Roleur

Super Anarchist
Orcas Island
RockIt has 260l of water ballast, versus 200l from the factory. They also have transfer pipes between the tanks, which the factory option does not have. As a result, they are fastest rated SF3300 in UK. They also have the high modulus carbon mast.

Murphness

Super Anarchist
Boston
Alchemist wins their class in the Newport to Bermuda Race and 2nd overall in Gibbs Hill Lighthouse Division. Excellent result from a crew of corinthian sailors stacked up against some of the best in the world. Top speeds were over 22knots. This boat is obviously a performer.

Roleur

Super Anarchist
Orcas Island
Pretty sure N2B has the potential to be the best race out there for a SF3300 with good odds of heavy reaching and this year delivered.

Alchemist wins their class in the Newport to Bermuda Race and 2nd overall in Gibbs Hill Lighthouse Division. Excellent result from a crew of corinthian sailors stacked up against some of the best in the world. Top speeds were over 22knots. This boat is obviously a performer.
Probaby not Corinthian if they are in Gibbs Hill with a guy running an IMOCA 60 program and 2 time British National Double Hand Champion with Dee Caffari on board. But yes, well done by that crew for sure.

Murphness

Super Anarchist
Boston
James is an excellent sailor, and yea - he's got some cool stuff in the pipeline and had a great couple of years with Dee that has really rocketed his sailing career, but having sailed a bunch with him and knowing this crew personally, I'm standing by my characterization of them on this particular race. This was a group of friends sending it.

Edit: They were in Gibbs because of the moveable ballast (water). No choice there.

longy

Overlord of Anarchy
San Diego
Seems like Robertson/Rockit's high rating isn't producing any more actual speed so far. Anyone closer to the active comment on this?

Roleur

Super Anarchist
Orcas Island
None of the three races they've done have been particularly windy. Most if not all of their rating difference is benefit in breeze. They were the first SF3300 across the line in the last race, but corrected out to 2nd (2nd DH and OA, FWIW).

Also, the rating differences between the fastest and slowest SF3300's is still pretty small. We have only 1 point more than lowest rating, but if we had RockIts rating (the fastest rating) our results would not have changed.