Sun Fast 3300

cms

Super Anarchist
A lot of gossip and rumours in France. Is it a breakthrough or a dog? Maybe brilliant downhill in Transquadra but ….? Was the project rushed because of the competitors coming to market? Seems they have bodged on rigs for certification reasons putting a shorter tin stick to comply with stability of carbon then chopping the carbon rig for compatibility reasons and putting a fat top main on both …. Opinion seems to be that there is time to sort out the cock ups before the next Transquadra in 2020.

I find it hard to think that a distorted hull will be all round quicker than a fair hull?

JL92S

Super Anarchist
UK
A lot of gossip and rumours in France. Is it a breakthrough or a dog? Maybe brilliant downhill in Transquadra but ….? Was the project rushed because of the competitors coming to market? Seems they have bodged on rigs for certification reasons putting a shorter tin stick to comply with stability of carbon then chopping the carbon rig for compatibility reasons and putting a fat top main on both …. Opinion seems to be that there is time to sort out the cock ups before the next Transquadra in 2020.

I find it hard to think that a distorted hull will be all round quicker than a fair hull?
Where do you get your info from? I’ll reserve judgement until the first boats are actually built and sailing...

cms

Super Anarchist
Info from various French sources. Sailmakers, customers who have ordered or are discussing orders. Like I said, people are questioning, and the project is very young, so time will tell. Daniel is an old friend who I have huge time for. We shall see how the double concavity gets on. We just don't know. The rig stuff etc is all just normal with a project like this in early days. There is a bit of a juggle between what is necessary for a fluid production run, and what individual owners want. Often takes a while. A smaller yard like JPK, where hull #1 is usually a works boat or a selected client, works in a different fashion.

Last edited by a moderator:

JL92S

Super Anarchist
UK
Nigel Colley will have the first UK boat and that will not be a bad setup. I also can’t see Verdier designing a bad hull as weird as it looks from some angles

Fastrak

Lymington UK
I can assure you plenty of healthy discussions behind the scenes, but everything is now just about set. Sure, there are compromises to make the series production at a price/performance point that is acceptable and viable, and there will be possibilities for owners with deeper pockets to invest in marginal gains. We have made our choices for the new Fastrak. We are being loaned a boat in advance to verify those choices and the polars. Exciting times! The passion the collaborative design team have put into the project has been insightful. "Dog" .. I doubt it ... this will be a "technical" boat to sail with those who master it gaining big rewards.

mad

Super Anarchist

I have to agree with you about the the distortions in the hull, it’s the first thing that caught my eye. I haven’t even looked at the rig plan or deck layout really. 

cms

Super Anarchist
Nigel Colley will have the first UK boat and that will not be a bad setup. I also can’t see Verdier designing a bad hull as weird as it looks from some angles
I am sure Nigel will sort his boat well (his post below yours), and I am certainly not knocking the boat, merely relating some of the questioning that is current. Daniel's hulls have been ver fair, and he has lots of IRC experience. Guillaume has largely been designing very different boats to very different rules, so it will be fascinating to see how this pans out. It is also interesting to read all the stuff being written about the new J/99. The J/112 was clearly an excellent "all round" performer, less oriented to Transquadra type events, but the J/99 looks to be trying to narrow the gap?

JL92S

Super Anarchist
UK
I’m not sure if the 3300 will be ready for Spi Ouest this year but it’s usually a pretty good indicator of which 32-36ft irc boat is up to speed. 

Fastrak

Lymington UK
SF3300.jpg

kenex

Here we have it..

Love the deck. This one comes with alu mast instead of carbon. It seems that it doesn’t have sail drive which seems strange these days. Any ideas?

the convexity in the bow is pretty pronounced, I want to see how it performs. At first sight it is awesome.

45A140E6-6981-4ED6-9F3F-7E2770F4A692.jpeg

4112A322-88B9-4E41-AF68-EBFF125925CC.jpeg

B9CC28A6-6929-45A6-A601-586E8B9D9744.jpeg

longy

Overlord of Anarchy
San Diego
IIRC that 'enclosed strut' method for the prop shaft has less drag than a saildrive. And no corrosion issues. Boat builders LOVE saildrives because they are sooo simple to install, the entire system is bolted together. Just cut a hole in the hull, mount a prefab engine mount pan, & bolt it in.

Miffy

Super Anarchist
Jeanneau smaller boat offerings  often use shaft drives - nothing unusual and in the modern era, esp if vacuum bagging anyway - there's very little extra work involved to deal with a shaft drive, just a matter of the architect's design. 

Amongst the dockside cruiser crowd there's always a lot of dogmatic opinions re shaft and sail drives - in the end it is just a compromise with pros and cons with each solution. You'll find class 40s with either.

DrWatson

Switzerland
Fashion is cyclic.  Ugly on the other hand, that's forever.
And this one has really has had the ugly stick waved over it!
Beaten half to death with it. 
NO NO NO!!!!

It's "That boat fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down."
Some said the same about the Pogo36 - but the more you see it the better it gets. I think it's more of a "challenges the norms" kinda thing. See something unexpected - and recoil...

But the Pogo is definitely not designed to rate well as I understand it. Designed to sail and cruise and flip the bird at ratings?

mad

Super Anarchist

JL92S

Super Anarchist
UK
I have a feeling that a shaft drive incurs a lower hull factor under irc. 

Also the 3600 has 2 forehatches and we find it works well, one hatch the ventilate the bow and the other to ventilate the saloon