Sun Fast 3300

ctutmark

Super Anarchist
PNW
Graphics are probably a vinyl wrap as that is pretty common in France and the boat was all white when it arrived at Grassi Bateaux for commissioning.  

Likely lots of bodies on board as they are getting ready for Spi Ouest in La Trinite over Easter weekend

Alcatraz5768

Super Anarchist
That whole article could have been written about ior boats. Fool the water into thinking the waterline is longer, it performs well under the current rules, it allows a shorter waterline. None of this stuff makes boats faster, it makes the rules think it's slower, we should have moved on from this shit. 

Miffy

Super Anarchist
Distorted hull is to maximize waterline at specific heel angles without compromising light air performance with large amount of wetted area. 

The idea, whether Verdier, Lombard or even in the 6.5 scene like Pogo 3 or Raison - is pretty much the same. Maximize righting moment with given displacement and keel depth, maximize bow volume at all heel angles without reducing effective waterline. The French architects will concede that upwind it'd make a less comfortable boat, but the idea is to maintain the power and avert bowpitch poling - while also maintaining a plane downwind/power reach so the waterline doesn't limit the small boat performance. 

IRC theoretically keeps boats safe without becoming unseaworthy because the methodology isn't officially public tho designers can submit proposals for guidance. I'm certainly not seeing any peculiar like the old days and the dominant boats like JPK or Sunfasts don't seem to be unseaworthy grand prix boats. 

Alcatraz5768

Super Anarchist
I'm not saying these boats look like ior boats, I'm saying we're heading down the same track. There's no way this thing will plane or that it will be faster than a boat with a nice fair hull form, but it will do better under the rule. That's my point, designing to ruleslike these culminates in boats that are slower, but rate even slower. If this shape was so good tp52s would look like it, and do away with their silly bulb keels. 

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
Clearly, absent rating rules, it wouldn't look the way it does. So all those twists and bends slow it down, just not as much as the rule would think:

A closer look at the underwater sections of the hull show that we have kept significant rake in the hull, after all these calculations were completed, which for us was a real aligning of the stars. This has kept the water line fairly short, versus the overall hull length. When combined with the high hull volume, this has hit a sweet spot under many rating rules, and is beneficial to performance overall

JL92S

Super Anarchist
UK
for those of you who are not liking the 3300 hull shape and irc rule’ness might I recommend the Figaro 3?

huey 2

Super Anarchist
syd
or the Ofcet 32

26239305_1003696033121486_161565340050487325_n.jpg

47486312_1239893302835090_6441361667279290368_o.jpg

31297551_1064783930346029_8846987641636257792_n.jpg

Miffy

Super Anarchist
If IRC isn't your thing - there are plenty of other lightweight no rating consideration boats out there. If you want Ofcet will gladly install a cast iron bulb instead of the lead fin, or even a lifting keel like ones used on Jeanneau 349s, Pogos, RMs, Djangos/Maree Haute. Like all things, boats are compromises.

Not everything has to be designed to fit one customer requirement. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Flaming

Anarchist
UK
Surely the point of the hull form of boats like the Sunfast, the JPKs, the Ofcet etc is that a good proportion of their righting moment comes from the hull form.  As such, unless you go for a massive long canting keel, the benefits of having a bulb keel are reduced compared to a narrower boat without a chine. 

Certainly even the shorthanded offshore guys are mostly using the IRC keel on the JPKs.  Giving up a bit of CoG for less wetted surface area, an easier boat to drive (and hence easier on the autohelm) and potentially actually faster downwind.  I'm not actually sure if the JPK1080 is even available with the bulb keel that the 1010 was initially.  

JL92S

Super Anarchist
UK
Surely the point of the hull form of boats like the Sunfast, the JPKs, the Ofcet etc is that a good proportion of their righting moment comes from the hull form.  As such, unless you go for a massive long canting keel, the benefits of having a bulb keel are reduced compared to a narrower boat without a chine. 

Certainly even the shorthanded offshore guys are mostly using the IRC keel on the JPKs.  Giving up a bit of CoG for less wetted surface area, an easier boat to drive (and hence easier on the autohelm) and potentially actually faster downwind.  I'm not actually sure if the JPK1080 is even available with the bulb keel that the 1010 was initially.  
The JPK actually uses a fabricated fin keel that is a strut with hollow fairing at the top and lead at the bottom giving you the benefit of a lower cog but with the hydrodynamic benefits of the straight fin. Currently this incurs a penalty under IRC but from what I hear that penalty may be scrapped for 2020.

Last edited by a moderator: