SunFast 3600

mikeonaboat

uk
I am looking at buying a yacht mainly for single/short handed sailing/racing for next season. As my family maybe convinced to join every now and some consideration to that is part of the equation might be needed.  Budget thinking approx 150,000 -200,00gbp. I am looking for a second hand yacht given the decent price drop after a few years. Expecting I will end up single handed a lot. The main suspects seem to be SunFast 3300/3600 but was also tempted by the Xp-38 given it would offer a few more creature comforts. Others have suggested Pogo but in short supply? Dont know much about the Grtand Soleil 34 / Neo 350.

Any thoughts appreciated. Moving to the shorted handed thread as posted in the wrong place to start.

There's an SF 3600 in my area and although I've never been on it the owner seems to love it and they do quite well.  Seems like a great boat and looks very nice.  As you mentioned Pogo is another great option, might be hard to find many used ones for sale in the usual places but the manufacturer might have a list or know of some for sale.  I'm very biased and I'll be the first to admit I'm a JPK fanboy but you should definitely consider a used JPK 1010 or 1080.  The new JPK 1030 is looking like a great boat too but there's a 1-2 year wait for one and it's too new to find used.  Not many JPK's on Yachtworld but the JPK website has plenty used ones for sale.  You probably can't go wrong with any of the boats you mentioned, it's like choosing which supermodel you want to date. Mostly comes down to personal preference and which one will agree to sleep with you.

If you're interested in a JPK here's a link to the JPK webpage, click on "opportunities" in upper right corner for the list of used boats: https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=http://www.jpk.fr/&prev=search

Link to a JPK 1080 review: https://www.yachtingworld.com/yachts-and-gear/the-french-jpk-1080-ticks-all-the-boxes-for-a-successful-racing-keelboat-says-matthew-sheahan-64916

d'ranger

Super Anarchist
There is a 3600 in the classifieds, the owner is on the forums. Based in Conn IIRC.

adrianl

3600 in CT owner here. 

Boat is for sale, can easily be reexported back to Europe.

IM me for details or see listing in Yachts.com 

LI_sailor

3600 in CT owner here. 

Boat is for sale, can easily be reexported back to Europe.

IM me for details or see listing in Yachts.com 
Ive looked at this boat; ultimately I went a different direction but I was sorely tempted by this 3600.  Its a beautiful boat that has been very well maintained. 

T sailor

Chesapeake
You didn't mention the type of racing and rating system you would be sailing under.  I have been looking for a boat with almost the same requirements for about a year now and have looked at just about every option both new and used.  My budget is pushing me towards another option that I am trying to get a deal finalized on (as Sam99 alluded to in your other thread) but I think with your budget, I would try really hard to find a JPK 10.80.  Better cruising accommodations than a sunfast, faster and more fun to sail than an XP, and has the capability to win (they have a pretty impressive race record).  FWIW I have looked at: pogo 36, jpk 10.80 and fc38, j112e, j111, j99, Neo 350, GS 34, x35 OD, sunfast 3300 and 3600, Sydney 36, as well as a host of others.  I really think you can't go wrong with the 10.80.  

Good luck and keep updating as you finalize your search.

person9334

Interesting timing on this post, I have been looking at moving up from my SS27 to something I can do some ocean races on. test sailed the 3300 and the italia 9.98, but I’d like something used and somewhere closer to the 36ft mark.

I’d rather not bring a boat to the states from europe but the track record of the 10.10 and 10.80 is hard to ignore.

I tried to look up some results for the 3600 in conn, anyone raced with/against them or invictus or the newer boats in baltimore, and Houston (this one is confusing as the owner just got the boat a few months ago and its already listed) interested to hear thoughts on the boat.

adrianl

I am the owner of the 3600 in CT - PM me or call 203 858 0503 and I can give you whatever info you need

Interesting timing on this post, I have been looking at moving up from my SS27 to something I can do some ocean races on. test sailed the 3300 and the italia 9.98, but I’d like something used and somewhere closer to the 36ft mark.

I’d rather not bring a boat to the states from europe but the track record of the 10.10 and 10.80 is hard to ignore.

I tried to look up some results for the 3600 in conn, anyone raced with/against them or invictus or the newer boats in baltimore, and Houston (this one is confusing as the owner just got the boat a few months ago and its already listed) interested to hear thoughts on the boat.
I have a JPK 1080 and have raced against the SF 3600 Invictus a handful of times in the San Francisco area.  Just going by my failing memory I'd say neither of our boats are clearly faster than the other.  I'd guess we've probably beaten him close to as many times as he's beaten us but that's probably more because of good or bad tactical decisions on each of our parts.  If you were to put a team of pros on each boat you may (or may not) find a clear winner.   His PHRF rating is 3 seconds faster in our area (63 for the 1080 and 60 for the 3600).  He also carries symmetric kites and we only carry Asymmetrics so depending on the course and wind angles each of our boats have an advantage one way or the other.  Each boat can however be set up for both A sails and syms.

The JPK's are definitely designed with shorthanded sailing in mind although we typically only sail with full crew on our boat.  The 3600 I can't comment on regarding shorthanded because I just don't know the boat that well.  Seems like you would want a tiller version which I think is an option on the 3600 if you plan to focus on shorthanded sailing.  I'll defer to a 3600 owner for a more informed opinion on SH sailing though.

I looked into importing a JPK when I was shopping and it definitely adds to the cost a little and there are some hassles and challenges but for the right boat I think it's well worth it.  In my case I was incredibly lucky and stumbled upon a very lightly used newer 1080 in my area that was about to go up for sale.  Unless something has changed in the last year there are only 2 JPK's in all of North America, mine and another 1080 in New York.  They are incredible boats that are clearly built and designed by people who have a lot of sailing experience.  Everything on the boat just makes so much sense.  If you get a chance to see one for yourself you'll know what I'm talking about.  Nothing you don't need and everything you need, right where it should be.  It would be great to have a few more JPK's in North America but it's certainly not the path of least resistance.  The 3600 is I'm sure a great boat too and available in the states, I just don't have any personal experience so I can't directly comment on it.  If you're interested in more info about a JPK or importing a boat PM me, I could potentially also get you in touch with the other JPK 1080 owner in NY if you want to talk to him or possibly take a look at his boat since he is closer to you than my boat.  I can also give you contact info for the owner of Invictus if you'd like his thoughts. 

adrianl

The 3600 is absolutley set up for short handed racing - I wish I had your PHRF rating as here in LIS we have a 53 which is kind of hard to sail to so whenever possible we rahter chose the IRC division.

My boat is set up with tillers and a full suite of B&G 5000 instruments, including pilot - with a big ass Raymarine ram - and it is a joy to sail when the breeze is up. Unfortunately LIS in summer is a bit of a dead sea and it is no surprise that in sub 5 knots we are draging a lot of water with the broad transom.

As far as results go - the boat is far better than my ability to make it go fast! - still learning so better to look at results from Transquadra, Middle Sea Race, Carib 600 etc all of which the boat has shone - was IRC boat of the year in 2015/2016.

Invictus needs a sparring partner so anone on the left coast that needs a fully sorted, full Cat 1 offshore equiped boat at a 50% discount to new - PM me!

mpbeagle

Delaware
I own the 3600 in Baltimore and it comes from the factory setup for short-handed sailing (I have the tiller version).  It is like a 36 foot dinghy that is easy to manage in a squall.  It is easy to make it go fast. , but winning takes a little more skill.  Rating here is 63 and I race it with my boys on Tuesday nights and on the weekends.  I have not learned to sail it well yet, but whenever I get someone who knows what he is doing at the tiller he makes it win even in light air.  My boys and I cruised it up to Rhode Island this summer and they thought it was a fine cruising boat.  It is spartan, but has plenty of storage, and lots of hand  holds -only thing it lacks is an oven.  

adrianl

This is a fabulous short handed boat which I agree is easy to sail but takes more skill to sail fast - she responds so well to tuning!

Now all I need is for one of you to buy her!!!

Latest posts