Sunlight readable tablet experience?

SimonGH

Westbrook CT
Does anyone have any experience with sunlight readable tablets?

As a sailor, I figured this population would have a good experience base, but I'm actually trying to find something for a different market (aerospace) where there isn't a lot of cost sensitivity, but would need to be relatively light and have decent battery life.

I'd be open to the E-paper devices too, but it would need to run android or something that we can develop for (i.e. not a kindle)...

anyone using anything good?  I've obviously searched, and there are some that advertise "sunlight readable" but I'm looking for first hand experiences...

IMG_0190.JPG

allweather

baltic
I've bought the sailproof tablet for exactly that good readability in sunlight, with water on the screen and reasonably long battery life.
And to be true, I can use the screen as a true flashlight if I wanted to. I can not however say much about personal use experience yet. Been a very cold and wet spring leaving the opportunities to test it somewhat on the rare side.(not always unpacking for a quick afternoon sail either)

Maybe keep a look on the Figaro sailor using/testing it. I'll say more on it when I got the opportunity for sunny days.
https://sailproof.shop/2021/02/25/sailproof-with-alexis-thomas-on-the-figaro-circuit/

allweather

baltic
For comparison I took a pic in full sun with both ipad and sailproof at full brightness. The latter is more readable in person too.
Then realized that you're looking for a professional application(no idea how I missed that yesterday, sorry) and not sure if this tablet checks all the marks.(I have no experience there)

IMG_24792.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

us7070

Super Anarchist
You need to decide on your OS

If you can use android there are quite a few IP67 options

The screens spec is often not that bright - 600nits is common

I looked but didn't see the actual brightness spec of the SailProof tablet listed, but because 600nits is very common for low end android rugged tablets, there is a good chance that's what it is.

If you want to run win 10, your options are fewer

I have a panasonic tough pad running win 10 - it' big and heavy and only ip65 - i hardly ever use it.

it's brightness is 1000 nits, and i can tell you it's a big improvement over 600nits.

sometimes direct sunlight isn't actually the worst viewing situation. Sometimes it seems that cloudy hazy day with lot's of diffuse sunlight is actually worse.

I am thinking about a Mesa - i want win 10

Misbehavin'

Denmark
I've bought the sailproof tablet for exactly that good readability in sunlight, with water on the screen and reasonably long battery life.
And to be true, I can use the screen as a true flashlight if I wanted to. I can not however say much about personal use experience yet. Been a very cold and wet spring leaving the opportunities to test it somewhat on the rare side.(not always unpacking for a quick afternoon sail either)

Maybe keep a look on the Figaro sailor using/testing it. I'll say more on it when I got the opportunity for sunny days.
https://sailproof.shop/2021/02/25/sailproof-with-alexis-thomas-on-the-figaro-circuit/
I'm looking forward to your review, I remember the original thread by the inventor of Sailproof: https://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?/topic/214903-need-your-help-crowdfunding-campaign-for-a-rugged-tablet-dedicated-to-sailors/&tab=comments#comment-7057758

RImike

Super Anarchist
Newport RI
In addition to being sunlight readable be sure that it's polarized readable at angles associated with boat heal. Remember you head will be level however if your tablet is hard mounted it could be tilted 40 degrees or so. I once saw a display that this happened to (can't remember the brand) and when going downwind when the boat was "flat" no problems but going up wind you had to keep tilting your head to read the display....

slug zitski

Super Anarchist
worldwide
Does anyone have any experience with sunlight readable tablets?

As a sailor, I figured this population would have a good experience base, but I'm actually trying to find something for a different market (aerospace) where there isn't a lot of cost sensitivity, but would need to be relatively light and have decent battery life.

I'd be open to the E-paper devices too, but it would need to run android or something that we can develop for (i.e. not a kindle)...

anyone using anything good?  I've obviously searched, and there are some that advertise "sunlight readable" but I'm looking for first hand experiences...

View attachment 440539
If it has a bright screen it will eat batteries 

I use a standard iPad kept under the dodger in a pocket 

it gets the job done 

its not a good idea to navigate on deck with a computer screen 

at night it blinds you , during the day it gets smashed and soiled 

On boats , people who constantly follow the little boat moving across the computer  screen are poor seaman and lack situational awareness 

steele

Super Anarchist
Land of the locks
For those that are more cost limited the smasung active tabs are an option. Shock and waterproof without needing a separate case, good battery life, works wet and with gloves. Sunlight performance is OK, about like a newer gen iPad. Probably not as good as the new ipad pro with a claimed 1600 nits of brightness, but that is very expensive and looks too delicate for use on the go.

My decade old garmin handheld oregon and montana have a full sun readable color displays. It is a shame there is not a tablet available with the same type of screen. The fine detail is not as good as modern screens, but for practical use on a boat or aircraft that is not as important as contrast.

ekerebel

Hello, I am developing a sunlight readable tablet using an eInk screen and linux OS. Battery life will be about 36 hours with constant use. Don’t hesitate to pm if you are interested.

mrming

Can’t comment on it yet, but I’ve ordered a Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 2 off eBay which is supposedly bright-ish with good battery life. Will report back if it actually arrives. I’ve used a 4th gen iPad Mini as a secondary device for the last 4 years or so but I’ve always found brightness and battery life an issue. Plus my 3 year old now thinks it’s his. Personally I like a tablet for passage planning at home, and for looking ahead and checking out AIS targets while sailing. There’s a “real” plotter on the boat which is what I actually steer to.

SimonGH

Westbrook CT
If it has a bright screen it will eat batteries 

I use a standard iPad kept under the dodger in a pocket 

it gets the job done 

its not a good idea to navigate on deck with a computer screen 

at night it blinds you , during the day it gets smashed and soiled 

On boats , people who constantly follow the little boat moving across the computer  screen are poor seaman and lack situational awareness 
I think you missed the point.

I was looking for a non sailing application.

But I’ll tell the pilot he’s a poor seaman...

slug zitski

Super Anarchist
worldwide
I think you missed the point.

I was looking for a non sailing application.

But I’ll tell the pilot he’s a poor seaman...
The high power consumption is still an issue 

perhaps the new generation batteries and pads get better run time 

At max screen brightness my iPad rapidly runs out of energy 

remember you may be simultaneously running WiFi , Bluetooth , mobile phone chip

andykane

Victoria, BC
I picked up a cheap Lenovo M8 tablet figuring it would be worth a try as a dedicated nav tablet and I have to say it's pathetic. Low brightness and shockingly slow.

So don't buy one of those.