SuperFoiler Grand Prix

Ocean View

Australia
I was there yesterday on the water and here's a bit of on the water info.

People I know who were there Friday night -

Said Tech2 caught the finish line buoy mooring line with their rudder - which is what flipped them and ripped the back of the boat off on Friday night in the first race.

You can see the video on the sf news section of their webpage

The boats heading back to Nowra to be repaired as they couldn't fix it in the on-site repair tent.

Saturday

All boats seemed to be having problems moving their foils up and down and ID Intranet had a lot of problems with the port foil,  Euro raced with both foils down most of the day - was that the plan?

When Euro was back on land the boat was 3 metres up in the air so they could deploy the foils and they were working on the foils going up and down - so maybe they had similar issues.

Euro were the the best crew, had it very together but as noted above - they were not slick everytime.

The lack of close racing didn't make it very exciting, we had a couple of crosses occur and ID intranet had to duck, but that was about it.

It was fun to be there, interesting to see the technology in action, but as for exciting racing, I'm not convinced it will bring the masses or make good TV coverage.

I'm not going out there on Sunday to watch more. 

billy backstay

Backstay, never bought a suit, never went to Vegas

Said Tech2 caught the finish line buoy mooring line with their rudder - which is what flipped them and ripped the back of the boat off on Friday night in the first race.

The boats heading back to Nowra to be repaired as they couldn't fix it in the on-site repair tent.

Saturday

All boats seemed to be having problems moving their foils up and down and ID Intranet had a lot of problems with the port foil,  Euro raced with both foils down most of the day - was that the plan?

When Euro was back on land the boat was 3 metres up in the air so they could deploy the foils and they were working on the foils going up and down - so maybe they had similar issues.

Euro were the the best crew, had it very together but as noted above - they were not slick everytime.

The lack of close racing didn't make it very exciting, we had a couple of crosses occur and ID intranet had to duck, but that was about it.

It was fun to be there, interesting to see the technology in action, but as for exciting racing, I'm not convinced it will bring the masses or make good TV coverage.

This is whole new level of sailboat racing development.  Of course there are going to be growing pains, like all the other paradigm shifts before, in any new technology.  I am very excited to see this new change in the sport that I love, and I believe that the future is rosy for foiling race boats!  I am a geezer from the IOR days of the early '80's, so there's no way  I will race on these boats.  Still, I look forward to the forward development of the sport, that I am passionate about, and the future!!  I would be happy to pitch in and volunteer for RC or Mark/Crash boat duty when these boats come to ELIS!!  I they ever do???

Ncik

Super Anarchist

It looked like the marker they rounded was a fixed pylon nav marker, not a floating buoy. The interview indicated they just bore away, accelerated and the back fell off...which isn't supposed to happen...i think thats a chance in a million though...

sunseeker

Super Anarchist

Saturday

Thanks for that.

I’m going to send the organizers a bill for the 25 minutes of my time I gave them to watch one race. It’s like a dumbed down version of the last AC challenger series, with massive leads.

A boring parade.

thetruth

For a new class and concept I thought the live stream was awesome. Way better than the Volvo shit. Great last race in perfect conditions and the commentary was awesome. People like Ashby and Outteridge don't get involved in shit projects. This was a huge win I thought. Now they need a sponsor and prize money..............................

dralyagmas

Anarchist
South Oz
I was there Friday night and had a chat to Nath, Goobs and Ashby. Apparently these are harder to sail than the AC’s. Absolute weapons.

biggest issue I see other than teething problems and a steep learning curve for everyone is that they have a very narrow wind range. Most boats foiled maybe 30-50% of the time  in 10-12knots and they call the racing off at 18.

boring as batshit when they don’t foil.

You could see the development over the 3 days of racing. Just look at the last race.

its early days and superfoiler 2.0 will be better, if they can afford to keep it going.

Kedge

Australia
Clearly the Ed or Clean didn't get this invites they wanted. Purile BS on the front page. Why would you piss on a radical development idea like this before it's had a shot? Yes, coverage on Saturday sucked, and it was SOO obvious that Outridge and team, who are class sailors who had been boat testing a couple of weeks longer than most of the others, would shit on the opposition to start with. But man, Sunday was really showing the potential. SOME close racing (not a lot) but the production crew were getting their shit together and commentators were less nervous, more hyped and the tech started to work. Good drone shots, tracking, onboard speed etc. Maybe a scrap of truth on the front page in that everything really needed a bit more time to settle before launch, but I'm putting it out there that if the weather on Port Phillip Bay behaves, it will be sweet next week!

Justaquickone

Have seen them practicing during Sail Sydney and watched them racing today in Adelaide and as I've stated before their foiling wheel base looks a little on the short side .

Would really like to hear some opinions from someone like Simon N ,Phil S or any Moth sailer who has sailed them pre and post fitting of the rudder gantry setup and how it affected the boats behaviour?

Noticed the Euroflex guys change helms a couple of times on the upwind legs with the forward hand going around the front of the mast then picking up the tiller on the new tack .

All boats 4point foiling down wind which looked quite sensible.

On a side note ,one young local 420 sailer received a substitute spot on one of the Super Foilers though a competing sailers unfortunate injury and was absolutely beaming at the end of the day from the experience .

All in all it was an entertaining experience for myself and the fairly substantial crowd in attendance and would have to think that the racing will get closer as the events progress .

Latest posts