Supreme Court "overture" gun licensing...

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
The whole McConnell - Merrick Garland thing is, IMHO, the single most sickening abuse of political power to subvert constitutional process in my lifetime. What we are seeing today is fallout from that.

This lies squarely on McConnells doorstep and I'm sure he's coming in his underpants from happiness about how his wielding of political power has turned out.
It cannot be. @mikewof says it's the Liberal's fault!

mikewof

mikewof
It cannot be. @mikewof says it's the Liberal's fault!
So when your poorly-trained, poorly-vetted employee does a shit job, you just wash your hands of the mess, blame it all on the employee and then walk away to look for someone else to blame?

When the public servants whom we hire do a shit job, that is on us. We select those employees, hire those employees, pay those employees and supervise those employees.

If we can't accept responsibility for our failures then it is time to just shitcan the Republic Democracy and replace it with Autocracy so we can complain legitimately.

mikewof

mikewof
Your self-hatred is noted. The rest of us understand who really stops progress, and it ain't the folks who believe in personal rights.
Your impotence is noted. The rest of us understand who really stops progress and it ain't the folks who understand how a Republic Democracy works.

mikewof

mikewof
Good luck with the Senate…
Do you not like the composition of the Senate?

Is there a reason why you are unable to change it? Are you in some kind of prison, or perhaps emotionally or physically disabled in some way?

DIY bro. You are stronger than the President, use your power ...

Sol Rosenberg

Girthy Member
Earth
I wish all you "experts" would actually read the constitution and make sure you know all the words and their meanings. Let's start with "a well regulated militia" - and perhaps can go from there. It's like the Bible, you can pick and choose to get anything you want, exceptin Alice......
It means whatever Foxy News says it means and that settles it. The Enemy must be owned.

Sean

Super Anarchist
Sag Harbor, NY
I wish all you "experts" would actually read the constitution and make sure you know all the words and their meanings. Let's start with "a well regulated militia" - and perhaps can go from there. It's like the Bible, you can pick and choose to get anything you want, exceptin Alice......
Walk right in it's around the back.

Burning Man

Super Anarchist
Back to the desert
To me this just shows that we are a nation of lazy dumbasses who are not sufficiently motivated to amend the Constitution.

The Supreme Court just did their job with what they had in front of them. Can't blame the umpire for calling the runner out if the runner is some fat ass who can't get to base before a lollipop is tossed over from right field.
This is one of the rare times I agree with you Mikey. I don't like the end results of what this ruling will entail, as I am a staunch supporter of a woman's right to choose what to do with her body.... but I think the ruling is correct on the law. Roe was horribly wrong on the law and there is no constitutional right to an abortion. The 1973 court who enacted Roe was looking to justify the end result, and came up with "egregiously" convoluted ways to justify Roe under the constitution.

What it means is congress needs to get off it's lazy ass and codify this into federal law so there is not a patchwork of state laws. And even further...... it means elections have consequences and every vote counts. So if it's true that the vast majority of folks think Roe was a good thing or at least something they could live with - then get off the fucking fence and go vote to keep these guys in that are doing what you belive in.

mikewof

mikewof
This is one of the rare times I agree with you Mikey. I don't like the end results of what this ruling will entail, as I am a staunch supporter of a woman's right to choose what to do with her body.... but I think the ruling is correct on the law. Roe was horribly wrong on the law and there is no constitutional right to an abortion. The 1973 court who enacted Roe was looking to justify the end result, and came up with "egregiously" convoluted ways to justify Roe under the constitution.

What it means is congress needs to get off it's lazy ass and codify this into federal law so there is not a patchwork of state laws. And even further...... it means elections have consequences and every vote counts. So if it's true that the vast majority of folks think Roe was a good thing or at least something they could live with - then get off the fucking fence and go vote to keep these guys in that are doing what you belive in.

I was referring to the SC "may", "shall" gun ruling, not the abortion issue.

But wrt abortion, there absolutely IS a Constitutional Right to an abortion, It's contained within Amendment X ...

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

Since the Constitution did not specifically designate a power on restricting or allowing abortion, then this is a ruling that is left to the States or the People. Roe vs. Wade is essentially an expression of the Tenth Amendment. But try to tell that to a Bible-thumping Supreme Court judge, and results may vary with their desire to appease the religion of their choosing.

Ultimately, laws are made and broken in Grand Jury votes and Jury votes. If juries refuse to arraign or convict a bunch of nonsense laws, then by the Supreme Court itself, it's as if these laws are "null and void." It's not enough to just use our votes for public office, we also need to be proactive with our Jury and Grand Jury votes.

And Congress just does what we demand they do. If they are lazy, then it is because we are too lazy to make our employees work. Also, I don't have a real problem with a "patchwork" of state laws. That's an expression of Amendment X too. If some broken-ass state has broken-ass laws, then the citizens of that state need to change their laws or leave for a better state.

Burning Man

Super Anarchist
Back to the desert
Mikey, I don't think you quite get what the 10th is saying. Your argument essentially confirms what the SC ruled - that's its NOT enumerated in the Connie and is therefore a state issue. I'm not disagreeing with you BTW. But the 10th does not say or mean what you think it does.

d'ranger

Super Anarchist
So BM thanks for the talking point that it's the fault of the lazy Congress. Some deal, right? And so forth - now let's say it's decided that transplants are illegal because of whichever whackjobs are buying politicians. Specifically heart transplants. Or blood transfusions since many people oppose those. Should Congress make laws to say those are allowed? I could and will go on if you like - meanwhile abortions as they stood until the Federalists lackeys decided they weren't were legal. All these things I have written are medical procedures and involve only the person and their doctor.

Or does the right to privacy under the 14th cover all of those things? Which is what was decided in Roe vs Wade. Which is what courts do, interpret things that aren't spelled out. So which is it? We have these rights or we don't unless we pass a law that each thing is legal? Which isn't exactly how the Constitution was laid out.

Meanwhile I will advocate that the 2nd A means you can own and bear muskets that existed in the late 1700's. I could even grant a break and go with everything up to but not including repeating rifles and pistols. Unless you can show why anything else should be allowed.

Your welcome.

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
Do you not like the composition of the Senate?

Is there a reason why you are unable to change it? Are you in some kind of prison, or perhaps emotionally or physically disabled in some way?

DIY bro. You are stronger than the President, use your power ...

Make up your mind Sybil. Am I supposed to stay home and vote here like you said before, leaving other states to do what they do? Cause we already have 2 Dem senators. Not progressive, but centrist folks. You know, the ones who try to negotiate and legislate.

Or, am I supposed to agitate across state lines like you now imply?

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile

Saying there is no right to determining your own healthcare as it’s a new procedure would be the same as saying you don’t have the right to a modern firearm. Is that really what you mean?

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile

I love how you can say you support the right to choose, and then lay out the impossible task of getting the Senate to pass some legislation. There’s nothing the people of some states can do if the people of states making up more than 40 senators want to live in Gilead.

Voyageur

Super Anarchist
On The Borderline
this looks like a well regulated militia.
1656209612445.png

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
I love how you can say you support the right to choose, and then lay out the impossible task of getting the Senate to pass some legislation. There’s nothing the people of some states can do if the people of states making up more than 40 senators want to live in Gilead.

Doncha also love how Burning Karen-Jeff and the other RWNJ incels do not seem grasp, even after it's been explained to them in simple words, how the Supreme Court can (and has) overturned laws that Congress passed.

"That lazy (Democrat!) Congress should pass a law" is not the answer to this problem

Lark

Supper Anarchist
Ohio
There is really nothing to see here. Getting a conceal and carry permit is no easy task in any jurisdiction. From what I can gather those that have a CCP are not the ones that have guns we need to worry about.

New York should be more worried about the unknown illegal guns roaming the streets and enforce the laws they have for those caught with an illegal firearm and put their own restriction on assault weapons instead of political blue people good red people bad posturing.
Concealed carry? You still need a permit? How quaint. Like most red controlled states, its been determined no training is required for Ohioans. Why would you regulate what every red hat knows genetically. If it moves, you shoot. (To quote Tom. Lehrer).