Surf Anarchy

49439936_10155748977546922_4236696319348965376_n.jpg

trt131

Super Anarchist
Seeing as this SA and this thread is Surf, I wonder how JJ Florence enjoyed the Sydney to Hobart race on Winning Appliances?

Ed Lada

Super Anarchist
Poland
SailBlueH2O said:
OK...I'll park this vent here not wanting to start a thread...I've loved the water from as long as I can remember...earliest recollection standing on the bottom of a pool  as bubbles from my mouth floated in front of my face  as my fathers legs walked toward me after I raised my hands in a floating ring and slipped to the bottom . Fast forward...a millennial mom next door the past 3 years gives "drown proofing"  lessons to very young children, many  millennial moms have their expensive rides parked at the curb  ...maybe I don't hear the ones that don't cry in the same voice....3 years the same voice, universal cry of panic !....in any other millennial judgmental court this would be torture and marches organized for barbaric practice .... I can still feel the anxiousness waiting to be allowed back into the water...WTF are these kids going to feel the same ?...
I hear you.  I too love the water more than anything in nature (I hate mountains).  I almost drowned in a little lake with my parents sitting about 20 feet away, when I was around 2 years old.  I wasn't at all panicked, my father said I was just lying there calmly floating face down in about 2' of water.  After the initial shock, I don't think my parents made a big deal about it and in the later years it was just another family story.  I have never had any fear of the water and I was a reasonably good swimmer in my youth, having grown up on the shores of Lake Erie.

I am all for child safety but I think people nowadays overreact to many situations when it comes to kids.  Teach them common sense but don't scare the shit out of the little buggers!

Trovão

Super Anarchist
I hear you.  I too love the water more than anything in nature (I hate mountains).  I almost drowned in a little lake with my parents sitting about 20 feet away, when I was around 2 years old.  I wasn't at all panicked, my father said I was just lying there calmly floating face down in about 2' of water.  After the initial shock, I don't think my parents made a big deal about it and in the later years it was just another family story.  I have never had any fear of the water and I was a reasonably good swimmer in my youth, having grown up on the shores of Lake Erie.

I am all for child safety but I think people nowadays overreact to many situations when it comes to kids.  Teach them common sense but don't scare the shit out of the little buggers!
to teach it, one must have it in first place. and common sense is tragically not so common nowadays...

Gissie

Super Anarchist

My wife teaches babies (parents), toddlers a lot. She also has no problem ripping teachers that have screaming kids a new one. If they aren’t enjoying it or are scared you are doing it wrong. 

blunderfull

Super Anarchist

longy

Overlord of Anarchy
San Diego
  The 'real' bite involves a LOT of side to side head shaking, which lets the teeth cut right thru anything (almost) that's between them. So it does matter. GW are apparently very cautious about injuring themselves, so the tentative "tasting' nip is common.

blunderfull

Super Anarchist
  The 'real' bite involves a LOT of side to side head shaking, which lets the teeth cut right thru anything (almost) that's between them. So it does matter. GW are apparently very cautious about injuring themselves, so the tentative "tasting' nip is common.
Of course but, this reads to me like a Mick Fanning story.  The kid fought/kicked with his free leg while in the jaws of that beast.  That’s some badass stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

blunderfull

Super Anarchist
That shot of three waves breaking with riders and skis was insane.   That place gets more surreal everytime you see new footage like this.   

Last edited by a moderator:

blunderfull

Super Anarchist
Holy shit! That's a hard wave to read! 

We're going to Portugal in March. Even my wife wants to go up to Nazare' for a few days to see this.
Yea, long time cutting across the top section till he dropped in.  Looks like he kept hopping down off little ramp sections to keep his speed up.   Guy took off like a rocket once he dove into the beast.

Post your trip to Nazare if you would.?  Would dig seeing the ins/outs of that trip.   Much want to do same some day.