Surf Anarchy

Old man's skateboard! These things haul ass.

IMG_0125 (600x800).jpg

mikewof

mikewof
Old man's skateboard! These things haul ass.

View attachment 541452

My son rides a scooter, non-motorized, lightweight skatepark version of that, but a scooter. I never really got it, seemed like a skateboard but with handles. But then he upgraded to a more capable scooter and then I got it ... it's not a skateboard, it's not a BMX bike, it's something between the two, a BMX bike with the bottom chopped off and replaced by a skateboard.

I took his board into one of the bowls ... fucking terrifying! At least with my Snakeboard, I can carve the bowls and put my shoulders and arms where I need them to be to hold balance. But the scooters; every little shoulder jerk and arm twitch transmits to the board. To ride those things well means control over the whole body in a way that doesn't come naturally.

veni vidi vici

Omne quod audimus est opinio, non res. Omnia videm
My son rides a scooter, non-motorized, lightweight skatepark version of that, but a scooter. I never really got it, seemed like a skateboard but with handles. But then he upgraded to a more capable scooter and then I got it ... it's not a skateboard, it's not a BMX bike, it's something between the two, a BMX bike with the bottom chopped off and replaced by a skateboard.

I took his board into one of the bowls ... fucking terrifying! At least with my Snakeboard, I can carve the bowls and put my shoulders and arms where I need them to be to hold balance. But the scooters; every little shoulder jerk and arm twitch transmits to the board. To ride those things well means control over the whole body in a way that doesn't come naturally.
High speed face plant just a matter of time

mikewof

mikewof
High speed face plant just a matter of time

He's had a few. I've had a few hundred. You get up, smear the blood out of what you can and get back on the board to try it again. I've broken an elbow, broke a knee, tore a calf muscle, broken teeth, must have bled a couple gallons over the years, a few ounces at a time, usually through my knees or elbows. I once ate shit because of a rib bone in the street, it jammed up between the wheel and the truck. But usually it's a pebble or a chunk of glass, a bad slide or a bad acid drop, sometimes another skater.

The biggest fear after you eat shit isn't that you're hurt, it's that you won't be able to skate again.

But the funny thing as I get old, the thing I miss most when the seasons end, is surfing and winging. These days I always want to get to the hydraulics and surf those, the skatepark or street is the second choice.

Last edited:

Mid

Blues Rule
He's had a few. I've had a few hundred. You get up, smear the blood out of what you can and get back on the board to try it again. I've broken an elbow, broke a knee, tore a calf muscle, broken teeth, must have bled a couple gallons over the years, a few ounces at a time, usually through my knees or elbows. I once ate shit because of a rib bone in the street, it jammed up between the wheel and the truck. But usually it's a pebble or a chunk of glass, a bad slide or a bad acid drop, sometimes another skater.

The biggest fear after you eat shit isn't that you're hurt, it's that you won't be able to skate again.

But the funny thing as I get old, the thing I miss most when the seasons end, is surfing and winging. These days I always want to get to the hydraulics and surf those, the skatepark or street is the second choice.
please archive this and refer to it next decade ....

told you so .

mikewof

mikewof
please archive this and refer to it next decade ....

told you so .

And do what as an alternative? Sit in the cockpit of some mortgaged cruiser on the ICW? Play golf? Sit on ass with a bottle of whiskey?

Can you look at the wing in Rasputin's video and tell yourself, "nah, not for me"? The moment I saw my first wing, I knew it would be my future of sailing. Buying the gear is only part of it, the rest is accepting the inevitable damage to muscle and bones.

A scooter like this in the hands of the ignorant or terminally stupid will result in a lot worse than a face plant.
Electric motors and controllers have two extremes, go faster for less miles or go slower for 3 times the miles.
I don't ride this scooter over 20 mph which gives me a 80+ mile range. I looked at the number/mileage of times I used my car for short errands and wanted to reduce it's use and get some exercise in the process.
There are bike paths I can use that go all over Sonoma Co. and the Smart train will take you to the ferry over to San Fran where I scoot the waterfront, lusting at boats, and never worry about parking or bridge tolls.

I was a throw away kid and put my life at risk more times than I can count, by choice.
Would I change what I did? No
Would I recommend my choices to others? Definitely Not!
I squeezed 10 lifetimes into one and now since I'm still here, I feel it's time for me to use less and know that what I do now could increase the risk later for the kids who have no say in the matter!

img056 (457x640).jpg

Last edited:

mikewof

mikewof
I kinda want to invest in a wetsuit for late fall and early spring hydraulics surfing.

What do you folks use? Shorty? Full? What thickness?

mikewof

mikewof
Splashing about in a creek with a boogie board isn't surfing.

That's what i thought too. I knew an Alaskan mathematician who was into it, I thought it was ridiculous.

But then I finally caught the hydraulic. It is really tricky because you have to balance your board UP the wave instead of down the wave like in regular surf. Once you catch it just right though, it's surfing, straight-up, dead nuts money surfing.

The same feeling of carving the wave front, that same feeling of time slowing down, and those thousands of tons of mass running under the board.

I love ocean surfing, but hydraulic surfing is what it is, it is still Mother Nature's gift to us and all we need to unlock it is some patience and a board. It is definitely NOT easier than ocean surfing. It took me about a hundred attempts to reliably carve the hydraulic wave. And unlike regular surf, you have to deal with lots of rocks that want to smash your head and knees on entry and exit, like getting stoned for being a heretic.

Last edited:

Rasputin22

Rasputin22
Varies from spot to spot....but it’s the same except those places that got lots of news coverage. But that’s temporary, as soon as the attention dies down it’ll go back. I told a smart ass kid one day “I got more time on the shitter than you have at this break”. His buddies thought it was hilarious and we got along fine. GENERALLY, if you’re not an idiot or a Barney it’s not hard to get along.
I got more time on the shitter than you have at this break

1664131260465.png

mikewof

mikewof
For you ocean surfers, what are some of your longest rides?

The best I ever rode in California and Florida surf was about thirty-seconds, maybe a bit less.

Latest posts