Surf Anarchy

tommays

Super Anarchist
Northport
GOOD Dawn Patrol This Week

8267398A-29E6-4C71-91DB-AAFB3EA6A3A2.jpeg

mikewof

mikewof
I know that some of you must have experience in riding cold water. Any advice for recovering from hypothermia more quickly?

I don't have a wetsuit yet, but I'm want to keep riding the hydraulics in my creek into October if possible. I've taken to riding for about fifteen minutes, I have a little IR ear thermometer, when my temperature gets to about 93-degrees F or so, I put on the hoodie and drink hot tea from my Thermos until I can warm up enough to get in again.

It's a mountain stream, and it keeps getting colder, it now takes longer and longer to bring up my body temperature, which cuts into my riding time. Any suggestions?

Rasputin22

Rasputin22
I know that some of you must have experience in riding cold water. Any advice for recovering from hypothermia more quickly?

I don't have a wetsuit yet, but I'm want to keep riding the hydraulics in my creek into October if possible. I've taken to riding for about fifteen minutes, I have a little IR ear thermometer, when my temperature gets to about 93-degrees F or so, I put on the hoodie and drink hot tea from my Thermos until I can warm up enough to get in again.

It's a mountain stream, and it keeps getting colder, it now takes longer and longer to bring up my body temperature, which cuts into my riding time. Any suggestions?
Give this a try!

bridhb

Super Anarchist
Jax, FL

Fill gallon jugs with hot water and put them in a "cooler". Pour them down your wetsuit when you get out. And of course there is the peeing in your wetsuit when you are out in the water. Be sure to cover extremities with rubber...hands, feet and head. Windsurfing friends here had good luck with dry suits. I never made that transition.

00seven

James "Grumpy" Bond
Blue marble
For you ocean surfers, what are some of your longest rides?

The best I ever rode in California and Florida surf was about thirty-seconds, maybe a bit less.
Mate, I think you don't realise how long 30 seconds is in surfing. Watch this clip, the first wave in particular (20 seconds in through to a minute)

mikewof

mikewof
Mate, I think you don't realise how long 30 seconds is in surfing. Watch this clip, the first wave in particular (20 seconds in through to a minute)

Preaching to the choir Grumps, 30 seconds on a wave feels like a week to me. 10 minutes on a hydraulic feels like a lifetime.

mikewof

mikewof