WATER_ICON.svg
56 - 58ºf

Weather

CLEAR_NO_RAIN.svg
56ºf

Willin'

Super Anarchist
The Burg, Maine
Two breaks I never, ever, even in my youngest, fittest, wildest youth would have found remotely fun to surf... Mavericks and Shipsterns. They're painful to even watch. I just don't get them.

BTW, that clip where Slater falls off, finds his board, gets back up and exits the tube was awe fucking some!

Last edited by a moderator:

billy backstay

Backstay, never bought a suit, never went to Vegas
I haven't read the entire thread, but NPR was talking about Kelly Slater's 20 million dollar perfect wave machine that might make surfing like the NFL, have championships all over the world, where everyone surfs the exact same wave, so it becomes a real test of who is best!

Willin'

Super Anarchist
The Burg, Maine
Kinda takes away from the spontaneity of surfing IMHO.  A lot of judging is how the rider utilizes the wave he gets. If they all get the same wave... who cares?

Rasputin22

Rasputin22
Slater surfing right now in second semi-final or the Pipe Masters. It will some time before a machine can match the waves that this contest has been held in. Have snowmaking machines on ski mountains ruined ski competition?

Slater lost at the first contest at 'his' wave machine. 

blunderfull

Super Anarchist
Two breaks I never, ever, even in my youngest, fittest, wildest youth would have found remotely fun to surf... Mavericks and Shipsterns. They're painful to even watch. I just don't get them.

BTW, that clip where Slater falls off, finds his board, gets back up and exits the tube was awe fucking some!
Never seen anyone pull that off , much less stuffed in at Pipe.  Slats throwin’ some for the young bucks to chew on.

Mavs somehow seems doable to about 25’ and after that?   No way.

Shipsterns is psycho.   Wouldn’t want any part of that pit.