Survivor story

Lark

Supper Anarchist
Ohio
https://www.npr.org/2018/09/24/651061753/19-year-old-survives-49-days-at-sea-after-floating-hut-drifts-to-guam

41820806_680529745646389_5093841654121496576_n_wide-38ba86941c2099b7f9597c537e4c2f5b190e01a8-s800-c85.jpg

I didn't see this thread.  It qualifies as sailing anarchy, as much as the SJ 24 did.   

"Aldi had been under a six-month contract to stay on the floating hut, with his main duty to light its lamps to attract fish at night. He had face-to-face contact with people only once a week, when new supplies were brought to him. But after his mooring line broke on July 14, he drifted for hundreds and possibly thousands of miles."   He lost his mooring and was adrift for 49 days until he was able to hail the 11th passing freighter by radio.  Tough gig. 

Lark

Supper Anarchist
Ohio
Ah well.   You got the scoop while I was watching the video.  

EvaOdland

Dude: "Hey kid you look like you need a job."

Kid: "I do. I am looking for work."

Dude: "How about this, luxury seaside accommodations, room and board, plus a salary. No experience needed. All training included."

Kid: "When do I start?!"

49 days later....

Screenshot from 2018-09-24 12-04-09.png

Lark

Supper Anarchist
Ohio
Video is aweome, btw
By not editing the video down to a news clip it became more real.   Watching the raft close so slowly until it suddenly clipped on by showed why the rescue took 2.5 hours to keep circling around til the kid jumped for it.  Very human video.

SailBlueH2O said:
nice full face and rounded features...looks like he had enough food....
I assume he had extra rations just in case the supply boat was delayed.   No doubt he caught some fish, especially while his lights lasted.   The fresh water must have tasted darn good though. 

I assume he had a solar cell or something, but the inability to raise a ship on radio had to be very frustrating when they were in sight.   I wonder if others dodged him by radar like this one did from six nautical miles out, but didn't hear his mayday.    Fortunately the kid knew the English word "Help"  despite "No English", since he didn't know "Mayday".    Maybe  his boss never bothered to teach him to use 16 either.

Amazing story.

Tami Oldham was "Adrift" for 41 days in a dismasted 43 foot yacht with navigation equipment, canned food, peanut butter and a quarter tank of water. They made a movie about her.

Aldi Adilang was adrift for 49 days in a hut with no idea of where he was and less than a weeks worth of food and water.     One tough young man.  I doubt there will be a movie because there is not the peanut butter angle.