SV Seeker

robtoujours

Communist
Undercover
His name isn't Kris Larsen by any chance is it?

FKT

I love his approach to interior lighting - no sRGB remote control LEDs here:

kris-larsen.webp

His boat is not my style but note how others describe his character;

"Fortunately, [the] media scrum has had no impact on Kris, whatsoever," wrote Natalie Uhing on her blog (Uhing has sailed with Larsen before, and works as an artist in Darwin). "What others say he can or can’t do isn’t [Kris’] problem. In fact, he quite enjoys playing the ‘gormless idiot’ in the presence of scandalized, angry ‘proper sailors’. It makes them feel good about themselves, they pronounce him a lost cause, and swagger off with a ripping good story to tell The Boys back at the yacht club, leaving him alone to get on with his plans."

But Uhing reminded us that Larsen is not an "arrogant and unlikeable maverick. A maverick he is, for sure, but not actually one that you’d take a personal dislike to. He doesn’t brag about what he does, is unassuming and grateful, and he is always respectful (especially when confronted by critics, preferring to hold his peace and cultivate the other person’s tolerance, than to beat his chest and defend his sailing practice)."

BTW, "playing the gormless idiot" was a favourite trick of Tolstoy whenever he was visiting the salons of St. Petersburg.

chester

Super Anarchist
doug does not play gormless, au contraire, Doug does everything he can to make you think he's the smartest guy around. I love how films over a a project while talking really, really fast...'cause talkin' fast means yer really, really smart.

Rasputin22

Rasputin22
Camera looks like it has updated at Pirates Cove and Seeker is still anchored there.

1669153022773.png

And the red plastic dinghy is at the dock so Doug must have taken up residence at the bar!

1669153159534.png

Pretty slow day at the bar inside, check the time date stamp but no sign of the Seekers.

1669153385927.png

Fah Kiew Tu

Curmudgeon, First Rank
Tasmania, Australia
I love his approach to interior lighting - no sRGB remote control LEDs here:

kris-larsen.webp

His boat is not my style but note how others describe his character;

"Fortunately, [the] media scrum has had no impact on Kris, whatsoever," wrote Natalie Uhing on her blog (Uhing has sailed with Larsen before, and works as an artist in Darwin). "What others say he can or can’t do isn’t [Kris’] problem. In fact, he quite enjoys playing the ‘gormless idiot’ in the presence of scandalized, angry ‘proper sailors’. It makes them feel good about themselves, they pronounce him a lost cause, and swagger off with a ripping good story to tell The Boys back at the yacht club, leaving him alone to get on with his plans."

But Uhing reminded us that Larsen is not an "arrogant and unlikeable maverick. A maverick he is, for sure, but not actually one that you’d take a personal dislike to. He doesn’t brag about what he does, is unassuming and grateful, and he is always respectful (especially when confronted by critics, preferring to hold his peace and cultivate the other person’s tolerance, than to beat his chest and defend his sailing practice)."

BTW, "playing the gormless idiot" was a favourite trick of Tolstoy whenever he was visiting the salons of St. Petersburg.

I always thought Kris was OK, myself. Definitely has his own approach to things but he's taken his boat a long way.

I'd buy him a beer or 2. Doug, OTOH, I wouldn't even provide him with the recycled beer.

FKT

Israel Hands

Super Anarchist
coastal NC
If I owned Pirates Cove, a big tab is about the only way I could stomach looking at that atrocity anchored out front. But OTOH couldn't listen to his bullshit for 15 minutes...

Rasputin22

Rasputin22
Not a bad place to hang for a while but the better anchorage spots are up inside the creek but even more chance of having a home owner dropping a dime on you for registration and septic violations.

1669154549049.png

Voiled

Anarchist
Are the home owners having some sort of contest about who has got the longest thing?

measuringcontest.jpeg

Resulting in that everybody has to look at their thing instead of having a nice view?

Rasputin22

Rasputin22
Water is very shallow on the back bays. Our dock is not so long as we are on a real bayou closer to the Gulf. You wouldn't believe how these long docks (short ones too) get wiped out by hurricanes but get get built back. I should have bought or built a work barge with an A-frame derrick to set new pilings when I moved back here after my time in the Caribbean.

Foiling Optimist

Super Anarchist
Vancouver BC.
What's with the boat houses on the ends of the long jetties? They look like a combination of ski boat storage with maybe a BBQ setup and swim ladder or something? I guess if it's that shallow it would be nicer to swim that far out as well.

Israel Hands

Super Anarchist
coastal NC
Water is very shallow on the back bays. Our dock is not so long as we are on a real bayou closer to the Gulf. You wouldn't believe how these long docks (short ones too) get wiped out by hurricanes but get get built back. I should have bought or built a work barge with an A-frame derrick to set new pilings when I moved back here after my time in the Caribbean.
For the past 20 years I've been saying the same thing! Around here, the pier and bulkhead builders are some of the slowest, overpaid and worst customer-service contractors ever...and that's saying a lot. But had we had we built those A-frame rigs to compete with them, the back problems generated from that line of work wouldn't have been worth the profits.

Those long dock owners don't realize that they are essentially sticking their necks out for the punch of a hurricane. Best to have the shorter dock between two longer docks. Often it's the flotsam that hammers a dock to death.

Last edited:

low bum

Tennessee

And these aren't really even long compared to lots I've seen in VA. Is all that repair out of pocket, or does insurance keep paying for repairs, year after year? Is this covered by flood insurance? I just always wonder about the economics of living on the coast.

Voiled

Anarchist
Two videos only a little more than a minute in total.

The last one is titled: Disappointing Storm ...but a beautiful day. If signals weren't clear enough already you should keep a distance from the idiot this video should do it.

epoxypete

I guess the good buddies from the river running days have pretty much left Captain Crunch to figure things out from here on out. No more bridges or locks to contend with so, ciao Captain!
I cannot imagine what type of person would wish to risk life and limb with this reckless grifter now that the open gulf beckons.....and sailing should be l'ordre de jour.

Rasputin22

Rasputin22
Yeah we had some pretty sporty winds as the front came though and Doug was lucky but seems disappointed that it didn't really blow. He doesn't have very much chain on either of his anchors as we have seen in earlier videos and as it is still all chain showing below the anchor rollers he has to be on very short scope. I checked the Pirates Cove web cam and it is obvious that he dragged anchors as he is much further SE after the frontal winds out of the NW. What is that old adage, 'God takes mercy on fools and drunks...'

1669598014724.png

Rasputin22

Rasputin22
Is it Doug's intent that he captain the boat for the research teams?
I don't think that Doug could captain the boat if it was leased or loaned to a research team. He has sort of ridden the fence between private boat and commercial boat all along and I doubt any school or sea lab would even come near him or the boat. There was a guy who lived up that creek where he is still anchored that had built a small bahamian sloop that he rigged as a junk. He is dead now but I'm sure someone it that little backwater community has that boat and may be able to provide Doug with some real junk rig experience and hopefully expertise, if Doug will only listen...

Max Rockatansky

DILLIGAF?
Yeah we had some pretty sporty winds as the front came though and Doug was lucky but seems disappointed that it didn't really blow. He doesn't have very much chain on either of his anchors as we have seen in earlier videos and as it is still all chain showing below the anchor rollers he has to be on very short scope. I checked the Pirates Cove web cam and it is obvious that he dragged anchors as he is much further SE after the frontal winds out of the NW. What is that old adage, 'God takes mercy on fools and drunks...'

View attachment 556293
If you drag in the northern GOM there is no doubt that you have poor skills/equipment. The.best.holding. Lovely muddy sandy stuff, stuck like Chuck