SV Seeker

low bum

Tennessee
Nice anchoring there, Captain Chaos. Have fun retrieving. I'm sure he'll hitch up the dinghy and pull it around in big stupid circles to untwist that mess.

low bum

Tennessee
I don't think that Doug could captain the boat if it was leased or loaned to a research team. He has sort of ridden the fence between private boat and commercial boat all along and I doubt any school or sea lab would even come near him or the boat.
Doug has no clue how impossible and eventually illegal his whole scenario is. I don't doubt at some point he'll "measure ocean temperatures" or take pictures of a coral reef and that will look enough like research to fool some people but if he's boarded it'll be all distraction and double talk and "I'm not the owner" and all that.

Israel Hands

Super Anarchist
coastal NC
I'm not very Reddit-savvy, but it appears that Dougie countered the Reddit crowd by putting up his own Reddit thread...and they are trolling the heck out of him on it. He must enjoy the mudwrestling because he doesn't delete their posts. For example:

If you had thrown a stick in the water when you first arrived at the Port of Tulsa, it would have beaten you to the Gulf by a long shot. Don't you get that spending 15 years and half a million dollars to build a boat shaped object that can motor at 6 or 7 miles an hour just isn't that much of an accomplishment? You now live on a grossly overweight, unreliable, badly performing houseboat that can't handle waves, can't sail, and is equipped with a bucket to poop in. The truth is Doug, all you have learned in 15 years is how to edit YouTube videos and con dumb people.

Sail4beer

Usual suspect
Toms River,NJ
From Doug’s fellow dreamer…
8132E59E-1FA0-4D08-B0E9-E30A9DD93DC4.png
940C024B-F51D-4578-A692-BEA73D714842.jpeg

epoxypete

I find myself getting nearer the limit of what my ears can reasonably tolerate. Each time Captain Crunch gets on his little rocking horse and starts moving his mouth, my ears start shutting down and I find begin humming the theme song to Gilligan's Island. It is also becoming abundantly clear this boat will never be operated with just two on board. Christ, it appears he needs a veritable team of well-intentioned and/or experienced crew just to move the boat along in the most protected of waters.
However, even if he had a ton of people on board, it is obvious this floating piece of boat-shaped steel is grossly inadequate for the hoped for ocean-wandering-scientists-hosting-research-vessel fantasy. Furthermore, the day he actually ever gets all three sails up in what most would consider a fair sailing breeze, there will be some sphincter loosening stability performance issues guaranteed to make you wish you either wore your brown pants or remained on the end of the dock waving good-bye to Captain Crunch. I wonder if he even has any insurance at this point.

Rasputin22

Rasputin22
Looks like Doug has finally found himself a real junk sailor at Pirates Cove. I met the old scalawag at the Cove over 10 years ago and was astounded at his wooden self built Island Sloop that he had converted to junk rig. His name is RIck and from Doug's photos it seems that Rick and a friend sailed up to give the Seeker a close look and rafted up alongside. Doug sort of mentions that they are helping to sort out Doug's attempt at a junk rig but haven't seen any evidence of that. I doubt that Doug would listen anyway.

1670002576489.png

Rasputin22

Rasputin22
Lets just wait until we are actually on the sea far from land before we even think to install dogs on those hull mounted portlights. Why, because they have to cannibalize the dogs from a port between the helm and the engine room?!!!

epoxypete

Looks like Doug has finally found himself a real junk sailor at Pirates Cove. I met the old scalawag at the Cove over 10 years ago and was astounded at his wooden self built Island Sloop that he had converted to junk rig. His name is RIck and from Doug's photos it seems that Rick and a friend sailed up to give the Seeker a close look and rafted up alongside. Doug sort of mentions that they are helping to sort out Doug's attempt at a junk rig but haven't seen any evidence of that. I doubt that Doug would listen anyway.

View attachment 557110
Well look at that....someone who actually knows something about junk rigs and actually(apparently?) has been sailing one for at least the past ten years. Once he gets over the scale of the stuff on Captain Crunches boat and the speed of the hydraulic winches needed for just about everything moderately heavy, he may just wish Captain Crunch "good luck with your dream, kid."

It would seem to me that most of the junk sailing world today consists mainly of boats far smaller and lighter than PoS/LEAKER. There is a certain elegance, simplicity and ultimately romance to keeping this ancient sail system up-dated for modern times and materials.
Hard to read Captain Crunch's face but it looks like he is: A) Not having any of the info Rick is sharing or B) experiencing a 40 Watt light bulb moment that his innovative rigging details are all wrong and need to be completely trashed and re-done differently and lighter.
I might be wrong on both of those interpretations, but Rick sure ain't smiling anymore than Captain Crunch is.

epoxypete

Lets just wait until we are actually on the sea far from land before we even think to install dogs on those hull mounted portlights. Why, because they have to cannibalize the dogs from a port between the helm and the engine room?!!!
Hard to imagine a more appropriate place for a large bronze porthole than on the sole of the pilothouse. I am curious however, I was always taught that any"window" on a boat which does not open is a port light and any"window" which does open is a port hole. Have times changed?

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
I was always taught that any"window" on a boat which does not open is a port light and any"window" which does open is a port hole. Have times changed?
No, but people use them interchangeably, not knowing any better. In my office we call the non-opening ones "circular windows" which avoids some confusion.

Rasputin22

Rasputin22
Hard to imagine a more appropriate place for a large bronze porthole than on the sole of the pilothouse. I am curious however, I was always taught that any"window" on a boat which does not open is a port light and any"window" which does open is a port hole. Have times changed?
Have you heard the old sailors joke about 'Any Port in a Storm'?

Latest posts