SV Seeker

Diarmuid

Super Anarchist
Laramie, WY, USA
except thats NOT what doug said he would do. His "original objectives" were to built a SAILING VESSEL and use that SAILING VESSEL as a platform for ocean research. To this day he always refers to it as "sailing vessel Seeker". And yet, to this day, despite being in sailing waters for MONTHS...FOR MONTHS, HE HAS NOT FUCKING SAILED THAT FUCKING TUB...FUCK!! NOT FUCKING ONCE HAS THAT STUPID FUCKING CUNT RAISED THE FUCKING SAILS ON THAT FUCKING PIECE OF SHIT AND FUCKING SAILED...NOT FUCKING ONCE...FUCK...NOT FUCKING ONCE...FUCK.

If Doug, like Brent, had just said "hey, welding some steel together into a thing that floats and gonna live on it" then more fucking power to him...BUT THAT'S NOT WHAT DOUG DOES, HE CLAIMS HE HAS DONE SOMETHING THAT HE HAS YET TO FUCKING DEMONSTRATE...FUCK.
This post rates two Cartmans.
1670119442101.png
cartman.png

Munz

Yeah - that explains why every ship on the planet is made out of something other than steel.

Because steel corrodes...

FKT
Yeah, and what's their average economic working lifespan these days?

But look on the bright side in a generation or two Seeker will have been oxidized from the face of the planet (or the bottom of the sea) and cosmic harmony will have been restored..... (Or maybe not, no doubt this Fred will still be alive.....)

sailman

Super Anarchist
Portsmouth, RI

But look on the bright side in a generation or two Seeker will have been oxidized from the face of the planet (or the bottom of the sea) and cosmic harmony will have been restored..... (Or maybe not, no doubt this Fred will still be alive.....)
Average service life of an ocean going vessel is about 20 years. US Navy pushes well beyond that in some classes. It’s all about maintenance.

cje

Anarchist
WTF did he say or something like..
I can probably hoist it halfway by hand then Ill drive this winch hydraulically with foot controls. 2/1 is too much rope so maybe I should have a block and tackle onboard for backup.
Things like sticking the router in a hole with squint eyes was fun but going up and down the rig with that masthead crap was scary to watch.
So lets just load this mess even more. Someone is going to get hurt.
Take all that junk out and just putt putt around.

low bum

Tennessee
Average service life of an ocean going vessel is about 20 years. US Navy pushes well beyond that in some classes. It’s all about maintenance.
Yeah but you can extend that to 30 if you periodically gut the entire interior down to bare metal, sand blast it inside and out, and dip it in 2 part epoxy paint.

kent_island_sailor

Super Anarchist
Kent Island!
Ships can sail for way more than 20 years, it is just at some point past that it is cheaper to buy a new one than keep them in class.
The Liberty and Victory ships of WW II were still sailing into the 80s, between the Jones Act and a tame USCG signing of "exemptions" for floating junk, they kept chugging along and occasionally coming apart.
Yachts are a different calculus, if one had the desire it is possible to do a really nice job on steel with modern materials. The time and money wouldn't make sense for a commercial ship, but they do for your baby ;)

Read this for a good story about the lifespan of steel ships:

Until the Sea Shall Free Them: Life, Death and Survival in the Merchant Marine​

kent_island_sailor

Super Anarchist
Kent Island!
The comments are :ROFLMAO:
One utterly bagged-out misshapen "sail like" piece of cloth goes up at anchor in flat calm and he has a bunch of groupies leaving comments like a supermodel just showed off her tits :rolleyes:
Ya know what - I might be changing my mind about his operation. If there is some army of morons willing to fund this, maybe he should be ripping them off.

Diarmuid

Super Anarchist
Laramie, WY, USA
Ya know what - I might be changing my mind about his operation. If there is some army of morons willing to fund this, maybe he should be ripping them off.
It's an ecosystem of sorts. Like Isle Royale: wolves and moose, each required for their mutual survival and perhaps the betterment of the whole. You hate to interfere with the dynamic's delicate poise, even if its daily welter of blood, guts, and starvation is not pretty to view.

I look forward to the inevitable Werner Herzog film of Seeker. "Salt and Steel: One Man's Journey Into Madness." It's right up his alley.

Fah Kiew Tu

Curmudgeon, First Rank
Tasmania, Australia

Why don't you tell us?

After all it was your claim.

Data point: I used to work aboard a 30 year old steel boat. It was an icebreaker which is about as hard duty you can get outside a ship that's actually being shot at.

I know of a 100 year old steel yacht local to me. And another one built in 1948. And I just looked at a steel ex fishing vessel built in 1960. I'll leave you to do the simple subtraction needed to work out their current age.

Basically your statement is bullshit, you can't back it up and even using weasel words like 'average economic working life' doesn't cut it.

FKT

In one video he mentions calling around to various venues on the Gulf Coast and as soon as he said "live aboard" there was an abrupt lack of hospitality, but Pirate's Cove said no problem, happy to have him! How long will stay put?

Grizz

Beats the crap out of me
Northport, NY
Ships can sail for way more than 20 years, it is just at some point past that it is cheaper to buy a new one than keep them in class.
The Liberty and Victory ships of WW II were still sailing into the 80s, between the Jones Act and a tame USCG signing of "exemptions" for floating junk, they kept chugging along and occasionally coming apart.
Yachts are a different calculus, if one had the desire it is possible to do a really nice job on steel with modern materials. The time and money wouldn't make sense for a commercial ship, but they do for your baby ;)

Read this for a good story about the lifespan of steel ships:

Until the Sea Shall Free Them: Life, Death and Survival in the Merchant Marine​

LST-510 is still doing year-round duty as a ferry between Orient Point Long Island and New London Connecticut, after surviving the Normandy invasion: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_LST-510