SV Seeker

Diarmuid

Super Anarchist
Laramie, WY, USA

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
Well if we are going down this road, I’ll take Titanium
Had a middle east client marine fire department. Cost no object for the new fireboat. They wanted the 600mm / 24" fire fighting pipes to be titanium (no corrosion of course). We dutifully wrote it into the spec. Surprisingly the shipyard couldn't find a supply. I called some suppliers and eventually ended up talking to an exotic pipe manufacturer.

"Of course, we can make some for you! How many miles do you need?"

We went with fiberglass :)

Go Left

Super Anarchist
Seattle
Sourcing unique stuff internationally can be a real lesson in how the world works. For one bridge we did, we needed 300' of 36" diameter high strength pipe bent to a constant arc. We found the steel in Korea, had it rolled into pipe in Japan, bent to the required curvature in Canada and delivered to the US. Meantime we needed some very high strength 6" diameter pipe with a 1" i.d. We found it, made in Germany but sitting in a yard in Spain, having been surplused by Aramco, and had it shipped back.

It's fun being a designer and leaving these problems to the contractors.

Cruisin Loser

Super Anarchist
Bronze or monel for me.
I had a monel fuel tank in my previous boat. One of the few things that wil resist a pure oxygen fire.

I worked on some superdeep (29,000') gas wells in Oklahoma in the 1980's. We ran liners and tubing strings of Incoloy due to wet CO2 at high heat and pressure. Probably the most expensive land wells in the world at the time.

Wanna really spend money on small shit? Start buying kalrez o-rings.

LiquidSun

Not Sunny
Seattle

Drone Pilot discovers Seeker oil slick, and reports to USCG. Perhaps Doug's trick of refueling from barrels in a dinghy went wrong (predictably). Maybe his outboard finally took a shit on him after his 'no oil' break in procedure.

Oil slick appears to lead to a dock Dug is using for his red tender.

sjb5vb9vck4a1.png
b9ljc7gwck4a1.png

Last edited:

TwoLegged

Super Anarchist
This is worrying.

I had been looing forward to Seeker's demise being the result of some structural or systems failure.

But now it seems that there is a possibility of the tub's career being terminated by the USCG. This will provide much less compelling visuals :(

OTOH, it may trigger an entertaining rant about the tyranny of banning oil slicks and requiring a vessel to be seaworthy. Popcorn!

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
The man IS a moron. From his latest video (slightly paraphrased)

1) "When I took these windows out of the school bus, they had silicone on them. Now I know why. It rained cats and dogs and leaked all over the inside and tripped the GFCI"

Who doesn't know you can't just bolt a window into something and not caulk it to keep out the rain?

1670476556291.png

2) Here he is hanging at the top of the mast on this shackle. Do you think a safety wire on the pin might be an idea?

1670476703755.png

1670476766624.png

3) Doug sort of re-reinvents reefing (FYT I need some help here figuring out WTF he is doing). 9:24 in latest video for those inclined. Maybe it's just to help adjust the lazy jacks?

1670476934694.png

His MO seems to be "build something, it doesn't work, and keep tinkering until it does".

Fah Kiew Tu

Curmudgeon, First Rank
Tasmania, Australia
The man IS a moron. From his latest video (slightly paraphrased)

Well, yeah - and I have NFI how his 'reefing system' works. Nor am I going to watch his video.

His MO seems to be "build something, it doesn't work, and keep tinkering until it does".

So is mine, I have to say. That's why I have a BFH, a welder and a gas axe. Bash to size, grind to fit, weld bits on until it sorta looks right. No problem, man.

But I'm just bright enough to know I can't design anything more complex than a cardboard box. My boat has been in the water 4 years now, it floats on its lines, its engine runs, the sails all work, the electronics work, all the internal systems (lights, wiring, plumbing etc) work. We still can't sail for shit, but if I could sail properly I'd be bored in a week so I don't care.

FKT

robtoujours

Communist
Undercover
Just can't get over how the guy has such a smug imbecile expression in every shot

"LOL guys look how smart I am caulking this window, some esoteric Self-Made-Man knowledge here morons"

TwoLegged

Super Anarchist
Just can't get over how the guy has such a smug imbecile expression in every shot

"LOL guys look how smart I am caulking this window, some esoteric Self-Made-Man knowledge here morons"
Yeah, but don't forget that this smug imbecile face has found its market: donations to the frankenboat have funded the project.

You can't fool all of the people all of the time, but all you need to do is to fool enough of the people enough of the time. That smug imbecile face is fooling enough for this purpose.

kent_island_sailor

Super Anarchist
Kent Island!
Isn't there a saying like a smart man can learn from experience and a wise man can learn from the experience of others?
Definitely no wisdom going on here and not a lot of smarts either.
1670506765671.png

Reactions: Mid

IStream

Super Anarchist
And if he'd taken all the money he'd "invested" in the build and spent all that time at a paying job, he'd easily have that $500K and then some.

I get that lots of people aren't cut out for 9 to 5, but the vast majority of those folks don't turn to the grift.

Latest posts