SV Seeker

Happy

Super Anarchist
Tropical Oz
I wasn't aware of this build before. Fascinating stuff. Is he really financing the whole deal from YouTube donors?

If there is actually money to be made this way, I'd like to announce my project. Please donate generously.

To draw in the suckers, it has to be Green and weird. So I'll be building a Polynesian-tribal-style catamaran, using sustainable organic materials. Composite construction featuring compressed coconut coir as a core, laminated with hemp and bamboo cloth using organic resins.

To look cool and save money, it'll have two (or more...) crab-claw rigs on each hull, made of driftwood, bamboo and old sugar sacks. DIY solar panels and electric motor.

To postpone the launch date as much as possible, there will be months of videos showing unnecessarily complicated bits of fitout being bodged together from scrap, then failing and being re-thought. The DIY solar and electrical propulsion should be good for a full 12 months.

A few mental and health crises to raise the emotional investment level of the repeat donors.

Finally a devastating fire, no insurance. The bereft blogger decides he needs a motorhome instead, and the donations flood in.

Last edited by a moderator:

dylan winter

Super Anarchist
I wasn't aware of this build before. Fascinating stuff. Is he really financing the whole deal from YouTube donors?

If there is actually money to be made this way, I'd like to announce my project. Please donate generously.

To draw in the suckers, it has to be Green and weird. So I'll be building a Polynesian-tribal-style catamaran, using sustainable organic materials. Composite construction featuring compressed coconut coir as a core, laminated with hemp and bamboo cloth using organic resins.

To look cool and save money, it'll have two (or more...) crab-claw rigs on each hull, made of driftwood, bamboo and old sugar sacks. DIY solar panels and electric motor.

To postpone the launch date as much as possible, there will be months of videos showing unnecessarily complicated bits of fitout being bodged together from scrap, then failing and being re-thought. The DIY solar and electrical propulsion should be good for a full 12 months.

A few mental and health crises to raise the emotional investment level of the repeat donors.

Finally a devastating fire, no insurance. The bereft blogger decides he needs a motorhome instead, and the donations flood in.
But....

Do you know how to light things so you can see what is being filmed, can you deal with wind noise, dust that gets into 2000 dollar cameras,  do you know how to edit videos and deal with data streams that come at you by the terabyte, and you have to post films every week.

I would say that he knows how to get an audience and how to keep it coming back..

He works hard for his money.

d

Fah Kiew Tu

Curmudgeon, First Rank
Tasmania, Australia
But....

Do you know how to light things so you can see what is being filmed, can you deal with wind noise, dust that gets into 2000 dollar cameras,  do you know how to edit videos and deal with data streams that come at you by the terabyte, and you have to post films every week.

I would say that he knows how to get an audience and how to keep it coming back..

He works hard for his money.
I think Doug is a first class dickhead but - he has a lot of talent in what he's doing. He's also capable of out of the box thinking and has managed to pull off stuff like the rebuild of the Hundested CPP using tooling that I'd frankly think inadequate.

So I think the boat 'design' is atrocious and his 'accident' stunt and total attitude over the blowback he got means I'll not watch or assist in any way but - he does have a lot of work ethic and ability.

I hope his boat doesn't turn turtle and works out reasonably well for him, in fact. But he's still a dickhead.

FKT

eliboat

Super Anarchist
I've previously posted that his idea of internal frames are a joke. They have lightening holes that make the frame 70% air... i.e. not worth welding them on.
I love the lightening holes!   Good to see there was at least one area where he appeared to be aware that all that material adds up.  Just prior to his fake head injury, he was trying to ascertain the current weight of the boat, and really didn’t seem to be too bothered by the details on that front.  No biggie. Not like displacement is something you really need to pay any attention to. 

Interesting that they edited out the part where the pilothouse took out a utility wire. Also not much mention of the person riding the top of the pilot house as they lifted it off, ripping out the bolt that they'd forgotten. 

Gumption, which Doug has in spades, is not enough. There is way too much hubris around the design and construction of this project.

I'm from Tulsa and I know these waters. If Seeker doesn't turn turtle at launch, it'll have to maneuver down a fairly narrow shipping canal until it gets to the Arkansas river, through several locks, and eventually the Mississippi. A loss of power (i.e. any malfunction of the used, high-mileage bus engine) in any of those situations turns the boat into an extreme hazard for any other vessel sharing the water. 

Jud - s/v Sputnik

Super Anarchist
Canada
I had to Google search “Port of Tulsa” (it doesn’t appear in in the sea distance calculator seadistances.org (https://sea-distances.org), as I’d never heard of it.  It appears to be in a far-away, landlocked place called Oklahoma.  So, I am now starting to understand what all the fuss is about.  (And this probably goes a long way toward explaining the madness of the builder.) Sigh.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts