SV Seeker

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
If anyone wants to emulate them;

00N0N_2LhtXEFNiiHz_0lM0CI_600x450.jpg

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/rch/boa/d/grande-prairie-central-make-me-an-offer/7367104170.html

Fah Kiew Tu

Curmudgeon, First Rank
Tasmania, Australia
I’m just curious to see if slush box between the engine and the prop shaft will be able to transfer any power or torque to the prop, let alone do it reliably for any length of time 
Why wouldn't it? Might not be 'standard' for boats but as long as the g/box is continuous-rated for the needed torque, I can't see a problem.

FKT

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
Why wouldn't it? Might not be 'standard' for boats but as long as the g/box is continuous-rated for the needed torque, I can't see a problem.
Because marine gearboxes have a thrust bearing (prop shaft pushes the gearbox what pushes the boat).

Land vehicles do not have this requirement. They just turn a shaft. No thrust in a bus cardan shaft.

But it's common to fit an external shaft thrust bearing for this sort of conversion. I'm sure he knows about this.

sailman

Super Anarchist
Portsmouth, RI
Because marine gearboxes have a thrust bearing (prop shaft pushes the gearbox what pushes the boat).

Land vehicles do not have this requirement. They just turn a shaft. No thrust in a bus cardan shaft.

But it's common to fit an external shaft thrust bearing for this sort of conversion. I'm sure he knows about this.
He did install a thrust bearing

Fah Kiew Tu

Curmudgeon, First Rank
Tasmania, Australia

Yeah - that's what I did. Nice expensive SKF bearing it was too. And I've seen other setups like that as well, the Odd Life people's French boat for example. And my friend Mike's 60' boat.

If Doug didn't know and didn't do it, that wouldn't actually surprise me. But I was thinking a thrust bearing was so obvious that it hadn't occurred to me that he wouldn't have used one.

FKT

dylan winter

Super Anarchist
13 hours ago, TheDragon said:

Little $15m liability insurance hangup, who would have guessed?

It is filmed brilliantly.

I do not know many TV journos who could do such a good job of filming, audio recording and managing a conversation single handed.

Doug has talent....for managing a camera and for managing people.

He knows how to ride a story.

he has drive and energy.

as for the actual project....

Looks like a bit of a dog's dinner.

MikeJohns

Hobart
Funny for a bright individual that he didn't foresee this or actually ask the port what was required.

Usually the insurance will demand professional involvement  to indemnify them in turn, and then it will be back home. Stability can be determined from the lines and an inclining test later. But structurally it doesn't meet any standard for other than very limited use.

With his high level of publicity he might find someone who will sign off on just putting it in the river, but if he wants full comprehensive insurance ithey are going to want to see that he at least followed a design and build to ISO or class.

Fah Kiew Tu

Curmudgeon, First Rank
Tasmania, Australia
Funny for a bright individual that he didn't foresee this or actually ask the port what was required.

Usually the insurance will demand professional involvement  to indemnify them in turn, and then it will be back home. Stability can be determined from the lines and an inclining test later. But structurally it doesn't meet any standard for other than very limited use.

With his high level of publicity he might find someone who will sign off on just putting it in the river, but if he wants full comprehensive insurance ithey are going to want to see that he at least followed a design and build to ISO or class.
He did follow a design standard though. The TLAR standard.

FKT

G

Put some wheels on it and boom, thats a killer monster truck right there

Jud - s/v Sputnik

Super Anarchist
Canada
I like how the guy missing a thumb complains about the insurance company meddling in such precision work. 
I like the guy who, in all seriousness, evokes the 2000 megawatt Hoover Dam, a huge engineering and construction project, and the boldness of the Louisiana Purchase, to compare to their ill-conceived YouTube sideshow...

Last edited by a moderator: