SV Seeker

alphafb552

Super Anarchist
Fryslan boppe!
I don't know, he melted quite a few balancing weights and sinkers into the two keels

Agree, turning turtle at launch won't be the issue.

However, there is a serious chance of the whole thing being massively overweight, so once the boat's in the water, he better be sure all the portholes in the hull are securely fastened.

He might end up with a Mary Rose / Vasa type situation... especially the first time he actually sets sail in the thing (assuming the boat ever gets to open water...)

KC375

Super Anarchist
Northern Hemisphere
Agree, turning turtle at launch won't be the issue.

However, there is a serious chance of the whole thing being massively overweight, so once the boat's in the water, he better be sure all the portholes in the hull are securely fastened.

He might end up with a Mary Rose / Vasa type situation... especially the first time he actually sets sail in the thing (assuming the boat ever gets to open water...)
I'm thinking more like the Vasa...maiden voyage oops

Mary Rose did a quarter century of service before the rebuild that add so much weight.

Look, after going 'round on this whole homemade "origami" steel boat thing for years with Swain - and seeing the multitude of unfinished boats by those who were suckered by him - I'm gonna give this guy mad props for just finishing the damn thing. Hopefully people will understand that BS' BS about being able to build the boat and be sailing it in weeks is what it is - BS.

This guy, though definitely industrial, is very skilled across a huge array of disciplines. And he's 10 years in (with A LOT of help and who knows how much money) with a minimally finished boat in terms of modern comforts. That's reality.

I hope it floats and brings him joy. He deserves that.

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
Regulatory speaking he is in an interesting place.

- it's not a commercial cargo or passenger vessel i.e. it's a pleasure boat

- it's run by a 501c charitable organization  "The Sea Chest Foundation is a 501(C)(3), nonprofit organization dedicated to operating, outfitting, maintaining and staffing water vessels for ocean research and other charitable causes."  https://www.seachestfoundation.org/

- he says he will take scientists, researchers on the vessel. I'll be surprised if universities allow their students aboard if they know anything about commercial vessels. But "free boat ride" to researchers is a strong attraction. Hopefully they do their due diligence.

Usually the insurance will demand professional involvement  to indemnify them in turn, and then it will be back home. Stability can be determined from the lines and an inclining test later. But structurally it doesn't meet any standard for other than very limited use.

With his high level of publicity he might find someone who will sign off on just putting it in the river, but if he wants full comprehensive insurance ithey are going to want to see that he at least followed a design and build to ISO or class.
In the US the requirements to build a pleasure vessel are very relaxed. So if you want to insure a custom built pleasure boat you'll have to get it surveyed. But they won't care about stability. 

toddster

Super Anarchist
The Gorge
There is a whole ecosystem full of "researchers" who just use the tag to solicit donations to fund their endless vacations.

Oh, and "Raise Awareness" of course.   :rolleyes:

Good grief, I've gotta get me one of them 501(c)(3) thingies. 

chester

Super Anarchist
There is a whole ecosystem full of "researchers" who just use the tag to solicit donations to fund their endless vacations.

Oh, and "Raise Awareness" of course.   :rolleyes:

Good grief, I've gotta get me one of them 501(c)(3) thingies. 
501(c)(3) thingies for everyone!!! *crowd goes wild*

TwoLegged

Super Anarchist
It's sad to see such cynicism. :(

I assure you that my ten-year project to explore the suitability of a custom-built twin-hull sailing vessel for cruising west coast of Ireland in  is entirely scientific.  The Catamaran Atlantic Seaboard Hypothesis project will uphold high standards, so please donate generously.  Cheques should be made out to CASH.

estarzinger

Super Anarchist
explore the suitability of a custom-built twin-hull sailing vessel for cruising west coast of Ireland
I'm interested in exploring the suitability of a custom built climate controlled single malt locker to maintain flavor and drinking pleasure in extreme environments. This is an opportunity to get in on the ground floor of the founders stage of an extended effort, which will ofc later include optimal stowage for red wine. There will be a separate research project needing separate funding to answer the ages old question of the optimal amount and composition of water added to single malt. In addition to funding we will need a rotation of scantily clad beautiful young women and men to create the correct pleasurable testing environment - applications will be considered, musical skills are desired.

Last edited by a moderator:

TwoLegged

Super Anarchist
I'm interested in exploring the suitability of a custom built climate controlled single malt locker to maintain flavor and drinking pleasure in extreme environments. There will be a separate research project needing separate funding to answer the ages old question of the optimal amount and composition of water added to single malt.
The answer is to the second part is zero.  Single malt should be unpolluted.

But the malt locker idea sounds promising.  It will require regular sampling to assess quality, and obviously the locker needs to be tested on the finest malt.

estarzinger

Super Anarchist
The answer is to the second part is zero.  Single malt should be unpolluted.
Yes, that would probably be the scientific hypothesis to test - is certainly what the anecdotal subject matter experts told us in interviews during our drunken distillery crawls.  But there are other opinions out there which need rigorous testing - can that single answer really be true in all environments or is the truth more complicated?  It will be difficult and demanding work. We will need precision instruments to measure and dispense high precision very small increments of water. We will have to test the optimal shape of ice cubes for environments where the malt might potentially get too warm.

toddster

Super Anarchist
The Gorge
  It will be difficult and demanding work. We will need precision instruments to measure and dispense high precision very small increments of water. We will have to test the optimal shape of ice cubes for environments where the malt might potentially get too warm.
I'm in - I was looking for an excuse to keep a set of my adjustable micropipettors on board.  Can accurately and repeatably dispense fluid in volumes from 1 µl to 50 ml.

estarzinger

Super Anarchist
I'm in - I was looking for an excuse to keep a set of my adjustable micropipettors on board.  Can accurately and repeatably dispense fluid in volumes from 1 µl to 50 ml.
you were the one with the ESM?  We might find a good fun use for that - but that would create a need and truly exciting opportunity for an additional angel investor to get in early on this very exciting project.  We will be sure to keep the investors fully uptodate on our earth shattering and potentially disruptively innovative results, whenever we are not too drunk to operate the sat coms.

See Level

Super Anarchist
I think they should just turn it into a shrimp and bait shack

Screenshot_20210823-161404.png