SV Seeker

Dilligaf0220

Super Anarchist
Not The Caribbean
Does anybody know if snow melt in June raise the water level in whatever river they are in? Might be stuck for a while. 

I also liked the too short bridle on the towing rope that squished the outboard cover.
  Any snow that would affect that far down the Mississippi locks & system is done...now.

Water levels are only going to drop.  This is as high as they are going to get.

Voiled

The barge incident took place in late May. Floods were because of extended periods of heavy rain. But you're right, it's unlikely enough rain will fall the coming month to course very significant changes in water level.

V21

GA
Bit late, but why the fuck is the fwd mast raked so far fwd is that how it's going to stay ? What the fuck is that yellow ladder thing on the stb side ? How are they going to sheet the aft most sail that hangs way off the stern ?

hoektron

Gulf Coast, TX
Bit late, but why the fuck is the fwd mast raked so far fwd is that how it's going to stay ? What the fuck is that yellow ladder thing on the stb side ? How are they going to sheet the aft most sail that hangs way off the stern ?
Buckle up and get some popcorn, this project is like a fuckup fractal.

George Graves

Junk rig  It's to make up for not a forward jib/jenny.  Balance the sail plan. That's the idea - Not that the maker of this boat has any clue about sail plans or rigging.  He read it in a book, and thought it would look cool.  Like the mermaids on the side of his "work boat"

dylan winter

Super Anarchist
Now come on lads

gotta admit that it is quite a thing he built

bigger and more astonishing than anything I have ever built.

All my projects had flaws.....some larger than others.  I built a 15 foot coble that was a bit of a horlicks in retrospect. I was bloody pleased the day aome-one gave me £500 and  drove it away on a £1,000 trailer  from my shed.

but his is bigger, sort of magnificent 

and he shared the experience of getting it this far for your edification and exposed himself to endless pages of oftentimes well crafted derisiion.

his boat, for it is most certainly all his,   has provided us old sofa voyeurs with many more hours of entertainment 

his is a story well told.

goodonimisay

d

Last edited by a moderator:

George Graves

He got kicked out of the marina he was in for doing work on his boat.  Engine is still not working - so towed it to a new one. 

uv0kqvfad4w81.png

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
I guess the "torque converter eliminator" didn't work.

Wonder if he can find a sucker er benefactor to buy him a marine transmission?

Fah Kiew Tu

Curmudgeon, First Rank
Tasmania, Australia
Bit late, but why the fuck is the fwd mast raked so far fwd is that how it's going to stay ?
Take a look at more junk rigs and you'll find this isn't unusual at all on big heavy seagoing vessels.

Now whether Doug has done this *properly* and understands the reasons it's done - no comment.

I'm no expert but there is a pretty good explanation in one of Tom Colvin's books.

FKT

dfw_sailor

Super Anarchist
DFW
3 hours ago, dylan winter said:

Now come on lads

gotta admit that it is quite a thing he built

Sorry Dylan. I can't get beyond the stupidity of someone wasting huge amounts of resources, moolah and disciples' hours because he wilfully ignored hard earned / common sense advice.

No inventor should carry through a dream without first understanding the lay of the land, and prototyping the heck out of an unproven concept first.