SV Seeker

George Graves

I know junk rigs are suppose to be easier to sail, but this looks far from easy to manage. Lines going everywhere.

283765953_5609006235778155_7629219396902742314_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Fah Kiew Tu

Curmudgeon, First Rank
Tasmania, Australia
I know junk rigs are suppose to be easier to sail, but this looks far from easy to manage. Lines going everywhere.

View attachment 512772
There are a *lot* of bits of string on a junk rig, I assure you.

They're not all that simple to sail.

The rig is simple to build and relatively low tech. Learning to sail it is another matter.

One area they positively excel though, is reefing. The sail always comes down and there's nothing to do other than slack away on the halyard then tidy up the sheets. Or reef up a panel or 2 as I often do by hauling on the lazy jacks.

FWIW I can't sail for shit and don't pretend anything different.

FKT

Liquid

NFLTG
Over there

View attachment 512772
He's basically squatting in that little inlet because he was kicked off the dock, right?

Main junk sail resting on the solar panels.

What's the metal on metal grinding noise going to be like if it ever sails?

The lessons on fair leads, chafe, leverage and cleats will be rapid as they try to control just one sail from inside the single coach house winch... I wonder if they've weathered a good mid western thunderbumper yet.

The gang blank is really comical!

Liquid

NFLTG
Over there
NFI what you're talking about there... which probably answers your question anyway.

FKT
Down fucker: That which keeps the thing that wants to go up but you want it to stay down: Like a sail that's been reefed wants to go back up under halyard load.

Goose neck: The thingy that makes the rotation of the boom about the mast stay attached with smooth rotation.

Fah Kiew Tu

Curmudgeon, First Rank
Tasmania, Australia
Down fucker: That which keeps the thing that wants to go up but you want it to stay down: Like a sail that's been reefed wants to go back up under halyard load.

Goose neck: The thingy that makes the rotation of the boom about the mast stay attached with smooth rotation.
Don't have either of those things on my rig, don't need them either. It works fine without them.

Reefed sails never try going back up the mast.

FKT

Liquid

NFLTG
Over there
Don't have either of those things on my rig, don't need them either. It works fine without them.

Reefed sails never try going back up the mast.

FKT
Is it called a tack parrel? Page 13.

https://junkrigassociation.org/resources/Documents/Arne Kverneland's files/Chapter 7, Rigging the Sail.pdf

Fah Kiew Tu

Curmudgeon, First Rank
Tasmania, Australia
Is it called a tack parrel? Page 13.

https://junkrigassociation.org/resources/Documents/Arne Kverneland's files/Chapter 7, Rigging the Sail.pdf
Ah, you're thinking there's only one sort of junk rig I think. There are many variants.

The Hasler 'simplified' rig a la Annie Hill's BADGER and variants with cambered sails are quite different to the Colvin junk schooner rigs, and his big heavy displacement junk rigs are somewhat different again. Doug, were he paying attention, should have copied Colvin's big rig and it seems he has in part.

Anyway, mine has no downhaul on the lower batten (boom) and none of them have an equivalent to a gooseneck as the sail is hung not stretched. There is a yard hauling parrel (snotter) to pull the yard forward and against the mast.

Some people have downhauls but Tom dispensed with them, finding they added complication, the stress aided in breaking battens in a hard jibe and they only marginally improved upwind performance anyway.

On his rig.

The Hasler type rigs do things differently, maybe there such things are needed.

I'm off sailing on one of those in a few days as a friend of mine has a 'Badger' sister ship. With cambered sails and they don't seem to do all that much for upwind performance really so I didn't bother when I made a new smaller mainsail last year.

FKT

Voiled

When the inevitable showdown between the USCG and Seeker begins can at least someone bring a camera?

USCGcom.png

CoastGMagnet.png

The magnet part is unrelated but the conversation was published like this on reddit.

eliboat

Super Anarchist
Sticking to a now well known and widely used playbook by one particular group here in the US, Doug refers to all critical and concerned voices as “trolls”.    Watching his videos since being launched makes my head spin at the multiple levels of disaster he’s created.  On top of that he seems hell bent on proving out his competence and innate genius despite being far from either of those things. Just looking at that horrible thing sitting in the water makes me want to climb into a liferaft.  

Is there some specific reason why he's calling this a sailing vessel? Maybe regulatory? licensing? tax?

It doesn't seem, to my untutored eye, that much thought has been given to rigging Seeker, nor does Doug seem to be much of a sailor; I'm wondering if it's somehow easier to build or operate a boat that's supposedly a "sailboat" rather than a "motorboat".

Perhaps I'm letting my own narrow prejudices about rigs colour my judgement (I've never used a junk rig and don't really appreciate the benefits).

Alternatively, it could be that I'm overthinking this but it does appear to me that he may be underthinking it.

eliboat

Super Anarchist
Is there some specific reason why he's calling this a sailing vessel? Maybe regulatory? licensing? tax?

It doesn't seem, to my untutored eye, that much thought has been given to rigging Seeker, nor does Doug seem to be much of a sailor; I'm wondering if it's somehow easier to build or operate a boat that's supposedly a "sailboat" rather than a "motorboat".

Perhaps I'm letting my own narrow prejudices about rigs colour my judgement (I've never used a junk rig and don't really appreciate the benefits).

Alternatively, it could be that I'm overthinking this but it does appear to me that he may be underthinking it.
Doug will invent rigging along the way.  The fact that humans have been rigging and refining said rigging of sailing vessels for thousands of years will not stop Doug in his long quest for a Darwin Award.  

Jud - s/v Sputnik

Super Anarchist
Canada
I would like to hear a conversation between The Sailing Frenchman and Doug.  I can just see the dear Frenchman shaking his head, “Oh la la, Monsieur Doug!”

Latest posts