SV Seeker

Diarmuid

Super Anarchist
Laramie, WY, USA
Is there some specific reason why he's calling this a sailing vessel? Maybe regulatory? licensing? tax?

It doesn't seem, to my untutored eye, that much thought has been given to rigging Seeker, nor does Doug seem to be much of a sailor; I'm wondering if it's somehow easier to build or operate a boat that's supposedly a "sailboat" rather than a "motorboat".
Nah. Here in Amurrica, we draw no old-world class distinctions between sail and power boaters. Idiots may choose the type of vessel that most appeals to their complete and utter incompetence. Now, the built-in technical challenges of sailing craft might appeal to a certain sort of thoughtful, deliberate, small-c conservative moron who respects his witless elders and soaks in lore & wisdom from generations of morons who have been doing stupid shit in sailboats since that punter Amenemhat III pushed the steering oar the wrong way and accidentally rammed Aswan.

Motorboats, OTOH, offer a sort of turn-key & small-d democratic entrée into the Stupid Boaters Club. Any slope-browed git with opposable thumbs may climb into a Sea Ray and fuck up immediately, with no learning curve or training whatsoever -- and many seize the opportunity with both dexterous hands. A powered vessel is a tool, and the purpose of tools is to multiply the damage dumb people inflict.

Doug is a motorboater by birthright and personality. But he is determined to build a sailboat and be a sailor, which is sweet and sad. There's a Cargo Cult sort of longing at work, like the peoples of the 1940s New Guinea highlands who lashed sticks together to mimic airplanes that flew over their villages and occasionally rained canned ham upon them. Seeker is a fetish object, built by a man who has never seen a sailboat close up but knows he wants some of that, whatever that is.

Last edited by a moderator:

Santanasailor

Charter Member. Scow Mafia
North Louisiana
Rhetorical question

Why do people who do not sail, not familiar with sailboats, feel they have to build their own?

And not purchase a ready built sailing craft, at a fair savings, which could be put towards sailing lessons.   

johnsonjay17

He is using awning material for the sails.  Enough said. 
That is a good choice for a Junk Rig.

image.png

IStream

Super Anarchist
Apropos of nothing, whatever became of that dude who built a steel "boat" using 2x2 wood "frames" up in the mountains? Wasn't he gonna "launch" it somewhere in the PNW soon?

Nirvana1

Kentucky
Here is a picture of some top gun sails on our old schooner.

View attachment 513881
Thank you for sharing.  They look well made.  Did the material have any notable benefits or detriments in your experience?  What are the tan spots?

My main concern with SV Seeker and Top Gun is that they are adding a heavy fabric to already heavy masts and battens on a vessel that looks tender in the videos that have been posted.  I'm seeing no efforts being made to address stability concerns.  

Can the cloth sneak through?  Probably, its not tissue paper or a plastic garbage bag.  Does it represent another questionable design choice?  To me, yes.

I apologize for my prior lack of clarity and misstatements.  

Fah Kiew Tu

Curmudgeon, First Rank
Tasmania, Australia
Have you used “top gun” for making sails?  Have any pics?
Yes and yes.

Have you built a sail of your own? Any sail?

Have you built a junk rig sail?

Have you built a boat?

I expect the answers are 'NO' so your comments & opinions aren't based on anything except something you've read, and that's not stuff on the JRA.

I've no time for Doug and his 'vessel' so am not defending him, but some of these attacks on stuff like this just demonstrate plain ignorance, nothing more.

FKT

eliboat

Super Anarchist
Yes and yes.

Have you built a sail of your own? Any sail?

Have you built a junk rig sail?

Have you built a boat?

I expect the answers are 'NO' so your comments & opinions aren't based on anything except something you've read, and that's not stuff on the JRA.

I've no time for Doug and his 'vessel' so am not defending him, but some of these attacks on stuff like this just demonstrate plain ignorance, nothing more.

FKT
You ever dump a bunch of lead ingots in your fuel tanks or weld a tractor seat to the top of your steel light pole mast though????

FKT, and others with familiarity, can you give us the run down on the sailing characteristics of a classic junk, properly rigged? Do they go to weather? If so how close to the wind? How are they on a breezy run in heavy seas? How are they lying to in a blow? Do they function in light wind? Thanks!

Leeroy Jenkins

Super Anarchist
Vancouver
FKT, and others with familiarity, can you give us the run down on the sailing characteristics of a classic junk, properly rigged? Do they go to weather? If so how close to the wind? How are they on a breezy run in heavy seas? How are they lying to in a blow? Do they function in light wind? Thanks!
He's just gonna tell you that you he built his own steel sailboat and you don't know shit. 

Happy

Super Anarchist
Tropical Oz
He's just gonna tell you that you he built his own steel sailboat and you don't know shit. 
Nah, he just did that.

It would be interesting to know from first-hand experience. I've never sailed on a junk, and there's a lot to like about the rig. The total cost would be less than just the mast of a Bermudan rig.

The Colvin junk rig is slightly different, stayed masts and a jib on the Gazelle. 

Tell us about it, FKT?