SV Seeker

low bum

Tennessee
Doug refutes the concept of the multi-part block and tackle, possibly the greatest labor saving device since the lever, by saying "you just do the same amount of work over a longer distance."  Which is of course precisely the point.  

Sail4beer

Super Anarchist
Toms River,NJ
I’d like to see FKT’s Colvin sometime. We had one at our boat shop that seemed well built and the kids thought it was the coolest pirate ship ever. Fun to sail and easy to set the rig. 

IStream

Super Anarchist
Doug refutes the concept of the multi-part block and tackle, possibly the greatest labor saving device since the lever, by saying "you just do the same amount of work over a longer distance."  Which is of course precisely the point.  
When all you have is a hydraulic pump, all the world looks black and white.

Last edited by a moderator:

Diarmuid

Super Anarchist
Laramie, WY, USA
And of course, Work = Force x Distance. "Work over distance" is just force. I'm sure Doug knows that. <_<

It's sort of like the phrase "value for money". Money is already included the value equation. Value = Stuff ÷ Money. It's a ratio. Value increases if you get more stuff or pay less money.

Voiled

After youtube-documenting the build of his boat for over a decade and launching it Doug doesn't know what his next video's should be about and is asking us for suggestions:

Israel Hands

Super Anarchist
coastal NC
Obviously...sail that boat on big open water ASAP!
1655295902919.png

AnIdiot

Second Drawer
Highlights a point often stated here: sometimes the point is to build a boat, not to use it.

It's going to be interesting to watch the transition for Tally Ho. I hope the post-launch activity is as watchable as the restoration/rebuild has been. 2027 centenary looking achievable, given that the rebuild will be done in two years...

Voiled

sometimes the point is to build a boat, not to use it
Doug has also been larping as a research vessel captain and treasure hunter for over a decade. And has already been sharing his newfound wisdom as a sailor after two trips with "Captain" C-Money.

Voiled

This suggestion stands out:

Commenter: USCG Inspection pay per view video.

SV Seeker: Sure. If they try to make me a commercial vessel again, that will be very exciting

i wonder how we should interpret "exiting"?

low bum

Tennessee
Highlights a point often stated here: sometimes the point is to build a boat, not to use it.

It's going to be interesting to watch the transition for Tally Ho. I hope the post-launch activity is as watchable as the restoration/rebuild has been. 2027 centenary looking achievable, given that the rebuild will be done in two years...

I'm sure he'll do a Fastnet, and there will be a lot of buildup to that event. I'm sure there will be cruising videos - he mentioned several times about having power generation so that he can film and edit a lot of footage, etc. I bet once construction costs drop this becomes highly profitable for him.