SV Seeker

Rasputin22

Rasputin22
Why didn't he realize after about the third Titleist golf ball with the rubber bands inside that he should just not try and use other Titleist balls to drill into. What the hell is in those other golf balls that he can machine through to make his parrels?

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
I'm not sure the wind was ever pushing on the sail very much (angle was wrong and wind was very light).

I am very looking forward to seeing it sail with full sails on the lake he is heading toward. Schadenfreude.

Se7en

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
"She's tender... I could do the stability tests, I haven't done that yet. But maybe we'll just go out and sail her, that's how to find out"

I seriously am struggling to believe;
1. that reading this thread has finally induced me to watch part of a video.
and
2. That in the 90 seconds of video I did watch, the above wasn't the stupidest thing I heard!

I have a 15 YO son who is trying to impress a girl. I need to tell him that against all expectations, he isn't responsible for the dumbest thing I've sen today

h20man

Anarchy Organiser
ocean
"She's tender... I could do the stability tests, I haven't done that yet. But maybe we'll just go out and sail her, that's how to find out"

I seriously am struggling to believe;
1. that reading this thread has finally induced me to watch part of a video.
and
2. That in the 90 seconds of video I did watch, the above wasn't the stupidest thing I heard!

I have a 15 YO son who is trying to impress a girl. I need to tell him that against all expectations, he isn't responsible for the dumbest thing I've sen today
I think the quote was (from captions on video)
00:10:13.680 --> 00:10:17.200
every once in a while the wind
comes up a little bit she heals

00:10:17.200 --> 00:10:21.200
it's nice not much which is
really good she's not healing much

00:10:23.600 --> 00:10:30.640
that's surprising i thought she'd go over further
now because she is tender tinder means that the

00:10:30.640 --> 00:10:35.680
the boat rolls easily and a lot of that has to do
with the twin keels and we could do the stability

00:10:35.680 --> 00:10:40.800
test i haven't done them but you know what let
me just get out there and say that that's really

00:10:40.800 --> 00:10:45.840
the best way to figure out how tender she is well
the sails are coming along nicely we've got a lot

00:10:45.840 --> 00:10:50.480
more to do on them yet because there's just lots
of lines and everything but we're getting ready

00:10:50.480 --> 00:10:54.960
to go on down to lake kerr and that will give us
the ability to sail around a little bit and we can

00:10:54.960 --> 00:11:00.160
figure out where the sheets and things go because
really there's no plans this boat is it's a one

00:11:00.160 --> 00:11:04.880
of a kind and we're not building from any set
of plans it's being put together as we go along

00:11:04.880 --> 00:11:10.240
we built the whole thing like that from first
piece of steel on up and i think you know a lot

00:11:10.240 --> 00:11:15.760
of people forget that the best characteristic
we have of being humans is the ability to

00:11:15.760 --> 00:11:21.200
create something new and if that scares you then
keep watching us because we do it all the time
( @Zonker ) I am not a marine architect... and I know you are pretty smart... so is it true that the 'tenderness' is due to the twin keels?

Would that mean that by removing them it would not be so tender?

Getting very confused here....

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
No the tenderness is mostly not enough beam (initial stability) and probably a lot of weight up high.

A keel only starts providing stability when the boat heels. At very small angles of heel they aren't doing much. Having twin keels has nothing to do with it. Having twin keels also means roll MOTION is reduced compared to a single centerline keel. But if you split the ballast weight from a single keel on centerline and put it in 2 keels canted out, the stability effect is the same. Just more wetted surface area.

Having no design and saying "we'll learn as we go" is the mark of a moron. Learn from other's mistakes, not your own.

Liquid

NFLTG
Over there
ugh... I actually watched the raising sails vid.

I think he said it will have sheets attached to each batten on port and starboard so they make sure to not break the solar panels...

WetSnail

I think he said it will have sheets attached to each batten on port and starboard so they make sure to not break the solar panels...
Attaching a sheetlet to each batten drastically reduces the load on the sail. (A sheetlet is a line that connects two or three battens.) But if you then want a single sheet that gathers the load from the sheetlets, then you need some space behind the leach. Doug has placed the sails too close for that, and so he needs double sheets. That is standard practice for closely spaced junk sails.

Fah Kiew Tu

Curmudgeon, First Rank
Tasmania, Australia
Attaching a sheetlet to each batten drastically reduces the load on the sail. (A sheetlet is a line that connects two or three battens.) But if you then want a single sheet that gathers the load from the sheetlets, then you need some space behind the leach. Doug has placed the sails too close for that, and so he needs double sheets. That is standard practice for closely spaced junk sails.
Yeah - my sails are double sheeted and I find them much more controllable than the single sheet setup off of the far ends of the battens as per the Hasler type rigs. I've sailed on both types.

Doug's setup - no comment. Let's see that thing actually sailing...

FKT

Liquid

NFLTG
Over there
Attaching a sheetlet to each batten drastically reduces the load on the sail.

Huh, multiple sheets reduce load on the sail? WTF?

I get multiple sheets reduce load on each sheet but how do multi sheets reduce load across the entire sail? Max load is at the sheet turning block.

Last edited:

Liquid

NFLTG
Over there
Yeah - my sails are double sheet.... <SNIP>

Doug's setup - no comment. Let's see that thing actually sailing...

FKT

Sure, OK, no comment, but let's see your rigging then or a sailing pic!

You are junk sailor but can't show us 'proper rigging' of your junk rig? Is there really no 'proper rigging' of a junk, hence the name 'junk rig'?

I'll show you mine: Here's my conversion to a central control pod on an older '00, I-14, 12 years ago:

14er.jpg

It was a tensioned forestay rig that we had 5 'gear' deck marks for. I wanna say L2R: Jib down fucker, Jib up fucker, Vang then cunno. But I was just the stick pusher-puller...

Your turn

Last edited:

Dilligaf0220

Super Anarchist
Not The Caribbean
ugh... I actually watched the raising sails vid.

At this point it needs to be asked, which raising sails vid? The guy that steps a mast without attaching even all the hardware points you could mount anything, raises sails, kinda, with no sheets...
...it's almost as if he's milking everything he can get, with zero intention of ever leaving the cheap wharf he has now this year.

low bum

Tennessee
Well he'll never get a scrap of insurance beyond liability, and he may not get that for a home built boat that can't pass a survey. Obviously he's a fantasist but he could never take paying passengers, so this is all just a Boy's Own Adventure.

I'm still amazed that he thinks he's doing himself a favor by avoiding the multi part block and tackle, as though this were some great cosmic con game that he alone is on to, and will not be taken in. Not for him, the fool's game of the 4 part purchase. The back of his hand to the lever, the screw, the inclined plane - all implements of some tyrannical overlord, one to which he has gotten wise.

Latest posts