SV Seeker

Israel Hands

Super Anarchist
coastal NC
Lately there have been a lot of YT vlogger meetups, where the boaters get together and then cross-post the event. As you would expect, kinships blossom amongst similar yachtsmen. (Witness the example a few months ago in the San Blas islands, featuring Plukky from Sailing Into Freedom, Capt. Rick Moore, Zingaro boy and a chick who was loosely referred to as a dancer, and whatever shenanigans they got up to.)

So my question is: Who is going to be the first to debase themselves with a SV Seeker meetup? And where will it take place?

Fah Kiew Tu

Curmudgeon, First Rank
Tasmania, Australia
Doug now is in the Robert S. Kerr Reservoir for sail trials, which are postponed as during the couple of miles downriver from Three Forks Marina his transmission broke two times. (Edit, and his starter motor once).

He also broke the new 50hp Yamaha on his tender which he tried to use to tow him to his destination. In case you missed it, the Yamaha is the engine he forgot to put oil in on its first run.

A 15hp Tohatsu got him to where he's anchored now.

Pictured is the loosely stacked pile of lead near the bow for "trim", a great way to start sail trials on a boat with questionable stability.

View attachment 527129

Also pictured is the line he jury rigged to lift his anchor as even the upgraded hydraulic motor is not able to lift it.

Well, that's why you do trials - to find out what isn't working as expected. So situation normal in that regard.

I once had a new oceanography winch installed on a ship. The manufacturer had set the relief pressure way too low. Getting the cable back aboard was fun. Captains *hate* backing their ship down knowing there's cable waiting to wrap around the propellor. Fortunately we'd thought of this sort of issue - experience - and had only paid out 500m of cable before trying to get it back.

Doug's shit-show is an ongoing object lesson in what not to do but still, *some* fuck-ups always happen. I can recall one professionally designed & built ship that turned up after sea trials and acceptance and only THEN did they figure out that it wasn't possible to hook it up to the shore power outlet. Seems that had been overlooked. Ooops.

FKT

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
Doug's shit-show is an ongoing object lesson in what not to do but still, *some* fuck-ups always happen. I can recall one professionally designed & built ship that turned up after sea trials and acceptance and only THEN did they figure out that it wasn't possible to hook it up to the shore power outlet. Seems that had been overlooked. Ooops.
Well did they tick the option box "Shore power must work with shore supply"?

If not it's all the Owner's fault.

Fah Kiew Tu

Curmudgeon, First Rank
Tasmania, Australia
Well did they tick the option box "Shore power must work with shore supply"?

If not it's all the Owner's fault.
Yep I agree.

IIRC it was an oversight on the owner side and they got what they paid for. Just as in many things, that wasn't exactly what they needed.

Shit like that is why I prefer being a software designer. Nobody ever expects our stuff to work properly/fully the first (second, third....) time. And you make a shit-ton of money from the change requests.

Speaking of which I have a meeting in an hour to deliver a software upgrade and explain how a couple of the items on the request list are out of scope and therefore will cost a lot to implement. Partly because there's politics with Govt departments involved and partly because I don't want to deal with the bullshit. But I can definitely guarantee that it'll be expensive...

FKT

Fleetwood

Sydney, Oz
Shit like that is why I prefer being a software designer. Nobody ever expects our stuff to work properly/fully the first (second, third....) time. And you make a shit-ton of money from the change requests.
Is software covered under trade practice legislation regarding 'fit for purpose', i.e. must it work?

Diarmuid

Super Anarchist
Laramie, WY, USA
Is software covered under trade practice legislation regarding 'fit for purpose', i.e. must it work?
Someone hasn't read the Endless Scrolling Microsoft User Agreement.:LOL: It's okay -- no one does, and they count on that, and even if you did what could you do, and also you already accepted the User Agreement when you removed the cellophane wrapping/visited the webpage. A perfectly real and boilerplate line in nearly all software contracts:

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED “AS IS” AND LICENSOR MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES WITH RESPECT TO THE SOFTWARE, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THOSE OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

Fah Kiew Tu

Curmudgeon, First Rank
Tasmania, Australia

The bolded bit in no way implies or guarantees the following 'it must work' bit.

I provide source code. EVERY source code file explicitly disclaims any fitness for purpose and/or guarantees of anything really. It explicitly says there will be bugs both known & unknown and as you have the source code and permission to find/fix them, knock yourself out.

Anyone who isn't happy with that is at perfect liberty to write their own code. In fact I wish they would. But funnily they generally don't.

FKT

Fleetwood

Sydney, Oz
I provide source code. EVERY source code file explicitly disclaims any fitness for purpose and/or guarantees of anything really. It explicitly says there will be bugs both known & unknown and as you have the source code and permission to find/fix them, knock yourself out.

Anyone who isn't happy with that is at perfect liberty to write their own code. In fact I wish they would. But funnily they generally don't.
Fixing software seems to be a bit of a problem in the bush:
Even if you want to/able to, you aren't allowed to.

Not that our friend on SV Seeker has much software, proprietary or other!

Fah Kiew Tu

Curmudgeon, First Rank
Tasmania, Australia
Fixing software seems to be a bit of a problem in the bush:
Even if you want to/able to, you aren't allowed to.

Not that our friend on SV Seeker has much software, proprietary or other!

Yeah the right to repair movement is pushing shit uphill.

I'm absolutely 100% in support of them, FWIW. But it's not how the big companies like to do things.

It's one thing having a tractor do a 'Error 129855' and stop in a paddock. Imagine your boat coming in through a bar and the engine shutting down because of some alarm condition you couldn't diagnose or clear. Fuck that.

FKT

Fleetwood

Sydney, Oz
Yep, if I didn't install it or can't understand it then I don't want it on my boat. Means I have less and less on it as time goes on....

(A mate with a Mercedes SUV was visiting a friend's farm outside Tamworth a while ago. Turned off the engine, got out of the car and closed the door. The car went on strike, couldn't open the doors or anything. Towed to Mercedes Tamworth, no luck, towed to Sydney dealer, 3 months later was fixed with a new part from Germany. He sold it.)

Fah Kiew Tu

Curmudgeon, First Rank
Tasmania, Australia
Yep, if I didn't install it or can't understand it then I don't want it on my boat. Means I have less and less on it as time goes on....

(A mate with a Mercedes SUV was visiting a friend's farm outside Tamworth a while ago. Turned off the engine, got out of the car and closed the door. The car went on strike, couldn't open the doors or anything. Towed to Mercedes Tamworth, no luck, towed to Sydney dealer, 3 months later was fixed with a new part from Germany. He sold it.)

Friend of mine has an Audi, similar horror story.... think I'll just keep my 2003 Isuzu 4WD turbo diesel flat tray. Not much electronics there.

OTOH I keep adding more to my boat but mostly it's stuff I've built or code I've written, so I know exactly who to blame and what to do if (when) it stops working. Give it the tried and true float test...

FKT

Black Sox

Super Anarchist
Dublin, Ireland

As against that, (sort of), I acquired a new-to-me car, and it had the keyless ignition thing. A wonderful novelty. I collected it after a service and when I was halfway home the garage called me (and the call came through to the car’s speakers!!!) to tell me that they still had the car’s key. The car was running when I collected it…

Voiled

• Doug's videos are labeled "A Masterclass in Marine Engineering" by his fans
  • Despite being a Master Marine Engineer he forgot to put oil in his new 50hp Yamaha on it's first run
  • The Yamaha failed after a couple of hours
  • Doug arranged people to help him get the thing from his anchored out BSO to his truck
  • And arranged a return to Yamaha under warranty
Latest update by our Master Marine Engineer after someone asked him if the problem really only was water in the fuel:

"Yup. One of the fuel cans had a bunch in it"

Only a short while ago he had problems with his main engine. He put diesel in tanks that had been rusting out and collecting crud and gallons water for years. He didn't clean or even drain his tanks of water before launch.

Last edited:

10thTonner

Hazard to Navigation
South of Spandau
Yeah the right to repair movement is pushing shit uphill.

I'm absolutely 100% in support of them, FWIW. But it's not how the big companies like to do things.

It's one thing having a tractor do a 'Error 129855' and stop in a paddock. Imagine your boat coming in through a bar and the engine shutting down because of some alarm condition you couldn't diagnose or clear. Fuck that.

FKT
That’s why I will never ever have a Torqueedo on board.