SV Seeker

low bum

Tennessee
I think partly the hydraulic winch is too weak to operate with a full drum. By keeping the length of chain and rode minimized he keeps the diameter small and hopefully he can actually raise his anchor off the bottom. He was jumping up and down on the chain earlier, trying to milk it onto the drum while the winch laboriously rotated one click at a time.

Israel Hands

Super Anarchist
coastal NC
I just can't get over the all the idiots who comment on how Doug is their hero. Proves that Barnum is right...and I guess that's how Doug stays funded.
Occasionally a good comment gets through though:

Lee Oldershaw

2 days ago
85 year old lifetime boater with 100 ton USCG Masters license and retired airline captain here. This boat is presently not river-worthy let alone seaworthy. The propulsion is an unreliable system of nightmare complexity. This is a big heavy boat that ought to cruise at over 9 knots. You should know the height of your mast within at least 6 inches. This can be calculated along a measured length of dock with a sextant. Patchwork improvisation and repair will not solve this vessels shortcomings. Somebody had to say this.

SV Seeker

SV Seeker

2 days ago

Dude pieces of paper do noting to impress me. From where I'm standing you're letting your fear talk. I instead contacted the Tulsa and Little Rock Corp districts and confirmed the bridge heights after seeing a cell that was incorrectly marked. Even then it was prudent to proceed with caution as we did. Next time maybe you should get clarification before running to wrong conclusions. Don't they teach that the USCG Masters?

Rasputin22

Rasputin22
Planes tend to be a bit more decisive in their behaviour than boats.
Doug probably thinks that this is a 'float plane'

1657570198353.png

socalrider

Super Anarchist
San Diego CA
Does 40 feet of chain for a 74 foot, 65 ton boat sound right to you?
I thought I was pushing my luck with 40' of chain for my old 10T 41' sailboat.

Biggest issue I had was anchoring in the deep water off Catalina island I'd randomly drift all over the place in the still evening air while my neighbors with 300' of chain rode would be locked in place or slowly moving in tandem. Made everyone nervous even though I'd calculated my circle properly. Usually ended up grabbing a mooring ball.

I'd not want to be anchored in the same area code as (the almost certainly uninsured) SV Seeker.

Diarmuid

Super Anarchist
Laramie, WY, USA
It boggles the mind. He isn't even finished building it and the vessel keeps breaking down.
Carry on!
Seeker is the most fucked up thing to come out of Oklahoma since the Flaming Lips.

(Watch the whole video. Yes, it's painful. But you will be a changed person at the end of it. "No more hallucinogens for me," you'll vow.)

Autonomous

Turgid Member
PNW
Nope, couldn't watch it through.

So, how do you tell when an Oakie chick is on the rag?
Easy, she's only wearing one sock.

socalrider

Super Anarchist
San Diego CA
Seeker is the most fucked up thing to come out of Oklahoma since the Flaming Lips.

(Watch the whole video. Yes, it's painful. But you will be a changed person at the end of it. "No more hallucinogens for me," you'll vow.)

Hey now, don't be comparing the Flaming Lips to SV Seeker.

Some of their stuff is questionable/unlistenable, but The Soft Bulletin and Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots are masterpieces.

In music, the chances of creating something new and beautiful by blazing your own trail are much better than in boatbuilding. And the odds of killing someone other than yourself in the process are close to zero.

Israel Hands

Super Anarchist
coastal NC
More artwork by reddit user www.reddit.com/u/proto57

zlwmjd7365b91.jpg

Line of last resort being a disgruntled croc really got me.
That's a freaking masterpiece! I keep looking at it and bursting out laughing.

It's really too bad that the average Youtube-Seeker viewer doesn't get to see all the entertainment created from this farcical journey. It's a multi-channel version of MST3K that is following a real-life huckster on a quest.

h20man

Anarchy Organiser
ocean
I think he's cruising around this little lake and thinking "Yup I built this.... and it's still a piece of shit"
@Zonker I always respected you till now… You seem like such a smart guy…. What made you reach the conclusion that he THINKS. ?

If he was capable of thought he would get a good NA to help him from the start…

more of a reactive type of chap, no?

Kind of living in a cartoon fantasyland, where normal rules don’t apply.

The disaster is going to be when his fantasyland and the physics of ‘our reality’ collide, resulting in a black hole sucking sv seeker into the netherworld.

hopefully no lives shall be lost….

Al Paca

Super Anarchist
El Lay
I saw the Flaming Lips around 2000/2001. They were damn good. And before they went on Mr Coyne was out in the audience enjoying The Cramps.

Latest posts