SV Seeker

Israel Hands

Super Anarchist
coastal NC
Doug says he's learned something. Buy real Racor filters instead of cheap Chinese knockoffs.
It appears that his hobbits have deserted him, so he's just videoing himself dinghy-ing back and forth.

IStream

Super Anarchist
Buying a cheap Chinese knockoff filter head: maybe.
Buying a cheap Chinese counterfeit filter: never.

IStream

Super Anarchist
A hell of a lot more than Doug's. That's why I have a genuine Racor dual 500 turbine setup with genuine Racor filters, which I change on the regular.

Diarmuid

Super Anarchist
Laramie, WY, USA
"ya gotta prove what ya say sometimes 'cause it just get ridiculous" said without a hint of irony.
I often think Dougster is perfectly lacking in self-awareness. Other times, I suspect he knows he's a fraud and that the entire enterprise is fucked to a fare-thee-well, and that worries me more than the other case. :confused:

All The King's Men is tragedy not because Willie Stark believed he was a messiah -- but because he knew he wasn't, and that eventually the machine he set in motion would destroy him.

toddster

Super Anarchist
The Gorge
Hard to be a redneck Crowhurst when the whole world is watching in real-time high-def.

Although fly-over country may be, in some ways, as good as the deep blue sea.

Sail4beer

Usual suspect
Toms River,NJ
@alpaca

What did you sail today?
Nothing.

Imbecile

Keep in mind that Sculpin’s boat was stolen last year and sailed into a Hurricane and lost. It was national news. He has a new boat apparently, so you should choose a better target.

alphafb552

Super Anarchist
Fryslan boppe!
I took it as mocking Doug - he's been building a boat for ages, but hasn't managed to sail the fucking thing. His whole "what did you build today" thing... I didn't build anything, I went sailing!
Perhaps he realises he is approaching the end of the build which has supported his YouTube channel till now. Soon he will have to find a different way to create content, while avoiding alienating and losing his viewers. I suspect there are more welders and tinkerers among his subscribers than sailors.

Mads from Sail Life seems to be experiencing the same challenge these days. He’s now back into ‘fun DIY video’ territory while preparing the boat for the treck to the Caribbean: he appears to be relieved to be back in familiar territory content wise.

Diarmuid

Super Anarchist
Laramie, WY, USA
@alpaca

What did you sail today?
Nothing.

Imbecile

Keep in mind that Sculpin’s boat was stolen last year and sailed into a Hurricane and lost. It was national news. He has a new boat apparently, so you should choose a better target.
Yeah, I think that challenge was aimed back at Doug, not at Sculpin.

low bum

Tennessee
Perhaps he realises he is approaching the end of the build which has supported his YouTube channel till now. Soon he will have to find a different way to create content, while avoiding alienating and losing his viewers. I suspect there are more welders and tinkerers among his subscribers than sailors.

Mads from Sail Life seems to be experiencing the same challenge these days. He’s now back into ‘fun DIY video’ territory while preparing the boat for the treck to the Caribbean: he appears to be relieved to be back in familiar territory content wise.
It's like I said, when the sailing starts, the viewership stops. People don't actually care about sailing. They'd rather watch you varnish. The main exception to this that I've seen is Erik Aanderaa, and he hasn't put up any content in months.

low bum

Tennessee
Doug is now motoring down the Arkansas River. It looks like he's anchored at a public use area in Ft. Smith, Arkansas. Made about 6 knots all day. Maybe he has the drivetrain figured out to some extent.

robtoujours

Communist
Undercover

These creators are finding that you are what you do. The 10,000 man hours effect.

Mads should start some business rebuilding old yachts, he would get rich doing it. James Baldwin of Atomvoyages fame does this for people in his yard - he’s in his 70s.

Anyway someone asked if Doug has self-awareness - narcissists don’t have cognitive abilities ordinary people do. Empathy being the big one. But self-awareness? Rather limited, same as a small child. Life is more instinctive for them. Think of when you were on LSD but without the colours and synaesthesia. “Microdosing” doesn’t count, I am talking Boomer era experiences here.

Santanasailor

Charter Member. Scow Mafia
North Louisiana
Doug is now motoring down the Arkansas River. It looks like he's anchored at a public use area in Ft. Smith, Arkansas. Made about 6 knots all day. Maybe he has the drivetrain figured out to some extent.
Heck, the current is that strong.
When (if) that POS makes it to the Mississippi it’s gonna be like Mr Toads Wild Ride. I can hardly wait.
That is until he meets up with a multi barge tow and he can't get his "creation" out of the way. (Current has a way of sending you off in directions you never intended)