SV Seeker

Fah Kiew Tu

Curmudgeon, First Rank
Tasmania, Australia
No one is claiming that Dug hasn't put forth a lot of effort.

Actually that's not true - a number have downplayed the effort he's put in to build that boat. They go quiet when asked how they know what's actually involved though, because they haven't actually built anything even close to as large/complex personally.

My boat is 1/2 the LOA and probably 1/10 the tonnage of Doug's BSO. And I KNOW what it took to build it.

I think his end result sucks and I think that he, personally, is the sort of know-it-all personality I go out of my way to avoid. But - I admire his work ethic and ability to stay on task.

FKT

Happy

Super Anarchist
Tropical Oz
Sure it was a huge build, taking loads of hard sustained effort and determination.

But the guy is a total asshole and the result is a total fuckup, in every way.

I don't have to have built a fucking 10' rowboat to see that.

dylan winter

Super Anarchist
this thread seems to drive people to anger for some reason

a lot of swearing and name calling

all I see is an eccentric high energy elderly man hving good fun with a few trumpists

better the money and effort goes to doug rather than the stop the steal fund

building a boat seems to trigger the worst in people.

i got some rude comments on this innocent little film

everything came under attack - from my garage to the way I paint the inside of a boat and the bad way I removed the boat from the ice covered canal.

D

Voiled

man hving good fun with a few trumpists

better the money and effort goes to doug rather than the stop the steal fund
When you look at his Patreon page and the accompanying video it is not hard to get another impression. An individual concerned with the state of our oceans would be willing to donate money based on how the project is presented there.

That in reality the money will be funding fun for trumpists makes it even worse.

Israel Hands

Super Anarchist
coastal NC
C’mon, be more positive, would ya? That’s how they do it down there. (But there’s no Daisy Duke on board yet.)

Whut?? The Boss don't shit in no buck-et
1662059234014.png

kent_island_sailor

Super Anarchist
Kent Island!
Sure it was a huge build, taking loads of hard sustained effort and determination.

But the guy is a total asshole and the result is a total fuckup, in every way.

I don't have to have built a fucking 10' rowboat to see that.
That's the POINT. Anyone can make a mess, but this is an enormous amount of time and energy donated to making this mess. Kind of like building a full-scale Saturn 5 rocket but doing it wrong, one can't help but wonder what that same time and energy could have accomplished with some guidance by someone who isn't an idiot.

Fah Kiew Tu

Curmudgeon, First Rank
Tasmania, Australia
That's the POINT. Anyone can make a mess, but this is an enormous amount of time and energy donated to making this mess. Kind of like building a full-scale Saturn 5 rocket but doing it wrong, one can't help but wonder what that same time and energy could have accomplished with some guidance by someone who isn't an idiot.

Yes exactly - I've little to no regard for the END PRODUCT.

However that doesn't detract from the EFFORT - which is what some people here were doing. It's a truly mammoth amount of work that's basically pissed away to no real outcome.

There were a number of times during his build that I just shook my head and thought - *why* did you do that?

Including right at the start when I'd heard he got advice from Brent on how an origami hull was the only way to go. It was all downhill from there.

FKT

Sail4beer

Usual suspect
Toms River,NJ
I’m glad that when I learned the marine trades, the builds were 1,500-2,000 man hour projects and there were plans and line drawings for every aspect of the build. There was nothing to screw up along the way by winging it and getting inventive to workaround other mistakes. Skills were learned and time not squandered on those projects.

Fah Kiew Tu

Curmudgeon, First Rank
Tasmania, Australia
I heard that Brent told him that 74 feet was too big for origami. But, it has been so long my memory could be shit.

Steve

You could be right - it's a long time since Doug started and I bothered following the origami guys on what was then a yahoo forum.

Not that it makes things any better, mind you. If even Brent Swain thinks it's a bad idea - and you go ahead and do it anyway - what can anyone say about that...

FKT

Voiled

However that doesn't detract from the EFFORT - which is what some people here were doing. It's a truly mammoth amount of work that's basically pissed away to no real outcome.
Within an hours drive from where i live there are multiple yards churning out boats comparable in size to Seeker to a quality standard infinity higher. They do so in small teams in time periods measured in months instead of years.

Many of the guys working there were requited directly from school and are productive within a year. Most of them become qualified tradesmen within tree years and masters of their craft in ten.

Doug has tried to become a boatbuilder for 15 years now. And has almost nothing to show for. This is partly because of his lack of effort. He puts more though and effort in video production than in trying to learn to weld.

This is what his mizzen mast looked like after he tried to "weld it in":
hqrx2kpapzg91.jpg

1662129085418.png

Ignoring the fact that someone who studied sailboat design for 15 years is welding in his free standing masts this way (edit: also mind the horizontal grinding marks above the weld at the zone where the highest stresses are to be expected), if this is what you produce after 14 years of learning to weld you did not put a lot of effort in.

I stand by my point, if you look how much work actually went into Seeker, the thousands of hours others contributed and spread that effort out over 15 years it's not a whole lot.

Just look at the videos he uploaded the last six months, what he made in that time. Even if you don't subtract the work others did for him (most of it) its a measly bit.

Last edited: