SV Seeker

Leeroy Jenkins

Super Anarchist
Vancouver
I'm going to ask anyone who disagrees to post details of what they, personally, with their own hands and money, have built.

you, personally, have never built a sailboat from scratch

you've never built anything

asked how they know what's actually involved though, because they haven't actually built anything

you guys who haven't ever managed to build anything
1662235177265.png

1662235177265.png

dfw_sailor

Super Anarchist
DFW
Ok, I’m

America Great Again?

(Oops, that was so out of bounds, but such a great set up it’s almost a cheap shot.)

:)
Not a cheap shot.. just calling it - it is what it is. Murica, the land of the free to be stupid, and have other suckers pay you for it because they really wish they could stick it to the know it alls as well.

It's redneck as redneck can be. Just like spending 4 hours fixing an old mower and selling it for 20 bucks, for doughnut and artificial alcohol money.

robtoujours

Anarchist
Somewhere
Just saw an incredible interview with the chap that BY HIMSELF built a 100 foot cat (not sailing, but engine based)...

self taught.. nice:

Fascinating. The 70s really were a different era.

He bought a Formosa 51 in Taiwan at the yard - had no idea how to sail. Rigged her by taking out the binoculars and looking at other peoples boats. Proceeds to sail straight into storm. And so on..

Very interesting interview!

Fah Kiew Tu

Curmudgeon, First Rank
Tasmania, Australia

He bought a Formosa 51 in Taiwan at the yard - had no idea how to sail. Rigged her by taking out the binoculars and looking at other peoples boats. Proceeds to sail straight into storm. And so on..

I recommend reading 'Solitaire Spirit' by Les Powles. An Englishman who built a boat without knowing how to sail or navigate and set off anyway. He ended up doing 2 circumnavigations after some - err - early problems with his nav calculations.

FKT

h20man

Anarchy Organiser
ocean

I saw that the interview was over 2 hours and thought.... I can't spend this time.. I had seen the other videos he posted of the build and cut and transport and launch... Started listening... and could not stop... Incredible stories.. Turns out he lost the boat in March 2019 to some shady people... then got it back and sold it... Just an amazing chap... that actually DID something... (not just built something).

paps49

Super Anarchist
Adelaide Australia
Just saw an incredible interview with the chap that BY HIMSELF built a 100 foot cat (not sailing, but engine based)...

self taught.. nice:

That's crazy, I know Clyde and had no idea about any of this. I met him in Manila when he had the Formosa and when he abandoned sailing it home I helped him load it on the ship to take it home. Later when my girlfriend and I arrived in LA on the boat we were sailing on we moved into his place and I worked at the Trike factory for about a year. Lost touch with him when I moved back to Oz.

h20man

Anarchy Organiser
ocean
That's crazy, I know Clyde and had no idea about any of this. I met him in Manila when he had the Formosa and when he abandoned sailing it home I helped him load it on the ship to take it home. Later when my girlfriend and I arrived in LA on the boat we were sailing on we moved into his place and I worked at the Trike factory for about a year. Lost touch with him when I moved back to Oz.
missed that part of not sailing all the way to US. I guess.. if he did not know how to sail prior to this... he .... probably could not use a sextant and would not have been able to find his way to LA.... You should see his other videos.. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBzzXv9jt_FqIqpglxjfykw

paps49

Super Anarchist
Adelaide Australia
missed that part of not sailing all the way to US. I guess.. if he did not know how to sail prior to this... he .... probably could not use a sextant and would not have been able to find his way to LA.... You should see his other videos.. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBzzXv9jt_FqIqpglxjfykw
Yes, his crew were very inexperienced. There was a defined window for leaving the Philippines to hook up with the current and wind pattern for the trip. This coincided with the beginning of the Typhoon season so you had to time your departure carefully. Clyde got impatient and left early and they got hammered everyone sick as dogs, even the monkey carked it.
Can't recall who was navigating but yes good point.

Autonomous

Turgid Member
PNW
FWIW that No-Spill brand gas tank is the bomb for filling little outboards with a built in tank.
It's the only post EPA Portable tank I've had where the spout works without drama. It also has a feature that prevents overfilling.
Of course Doug had to fuck it up.

Latest posts