1663439945564.png

1663439959666.png

1663440037739.png

1663440068462.png

1663440108237.png

Fah Kiew Tu

Curmudgeon, First Rank
Tasmania, Australia

I wondered who'd stolen one of my guard ducks. Fortunately the companionway duck is still present and performing guard duties.

Though if Doug is going to use little yellow ducks, I might have to retire mine. Which is annoying because I've got lots, they all have names, and they all had to be lined up with their beaks in perfect alignment before the boat was officially finished.

FKT

Black Sox

Super Anarchist
Dublin, Ireland
Pedant hat on and here we go.

My understanding of the Irish language, and I do have some, is that Diarmuid is the original, Irish, spelling of the anglicised Dermot.

Dermot is pronounced, as you say, to rhyme with Kermit.

But, here at least, we'd pronounce Diarmuid as "Deermwij" or similar depending on where in the country you get your accent.

Hope this doesn't cause offence...

Diarmuid

Super Anarchist
Laramie, WY, USA
Pedant hat on and here we go.

My understanding of the Irish language, and I do have some, is that Diarmuid is the original, Irish, spelling of the anglicised Dermot.

Dermot is pronounced, as you say, to rhyme with Kermit.

But, here at least, we'd pronounce Diarmuid as "Deermwij" or similar depending on where in the country you get your accent.

Hope this doesn't cause offence...
"At odd times he wrote in a mocking miachstúir {mixture} of English-Irish or English speilt as Irish."

The reciprocal tension of Irish wrestling with the Latin alphabet and English speakers trying to render same back into their own phonetics is very nearly the whole point of Finnegans Wake. :p

And, be dermot, who come to the keep of his inn only the niece- of-his-in-law, the prankquean.

Last edited:

Autonomous

Turgid Member
PNW
I had a short gig driving truck for a fucktard and his fucktard mechanic.
They wanted to replace a RT 610 transmission with a RT 910. The transmission was not the problem it was the FT owner that was a shit driver that kept ruining good trannies. He thought a bigger trans would cure the problem.
I told them not to but what did I know? The truck was down most of the week and they had to go back to the 610.
Next up, a truck with a 8V92 Detroit started making a deathly rattle. I immediately shut it down and pulled over.
I told the brain trust not to fire it up but to tow it in and tear into the engine. FT #1 and FT #2 had other plans. They put a rod through the side of the block right there.
The boss got pissed at me and we soon parted.

Why did I print this novel? Dunno, just that serial fucktardery came to mind.