SV Seeker

hdra

Anarchist
No marina has ever asked me about insurance as a transient, but they do want to see a policy before you become a tenant. He could get by if he keeps moving.
Not that he'll ever get this far, but we've recently discovered that on the west coast (SoCal & California & Hawaii, at least) marinas are really restricting transient dockage - over the past 3 or 4 years a number of marinas that we used to visit easily as a transient have decided to only allow permanent slips, so if you want to stay for two weeks you need to go through the whole application process, pay a deposit, and end up paying for (at a minimum) a whole month, and if you want to stop through again on your way back you have to just pay for the slip at a monthly rate until you get back because the process is such a pain in ass...

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
Not that he'll ever get this far, but we've recently discovered that on the west coast (SoCal & California & Hawaii, at least) marinas are really restricting transient dockage - over the past 3 or 4 years a number of marinas that we used to visit easily as a transient have decided to only allow permanent slips, so if you want to stay for two weeks you need to go through the whole application process, pay a deposit, and end up paying for (at a minimum) a whole month, and if you want to stop through again on your way back you have to just pay for the slip at a monthly rate until you get back because the process is such a pain in ass...
I've seen similar. We have a depth problem in my marina, and one night needed to just grab the overnight guest dock at a neighbor marina so we could get out at 8am. Thought a courtesy call "Hey, we'll around around 11pm, leave by 8am" would have been fine, as it had been in the past. Nope. Had to rent a slip for the overnight, including proof of insurance. Of course, we never saw anyone from the harbor office as we were in at 11 and out by 8. We could've just grabbed that guest dock...

Jim in Halifax

Super Anarchist
Nova Scotia
I've seen similar. We have a depth problem in my marina, and one night needed to just grab the overnight guest dock at a neighbor marina so we could get out at 8am. Thought a courtesy call "Hey, we'll around around 11pm, leave by 8am" would have been fine, as it had been in the past. Nope. Had to rent a slip for the overnight, including proof of insurance. Of course, we never saw anyone from the harbor office as we were in at 11 and out by 8. We could've just grabbed that guest dock...
In my part of the world, marinas and yacht clubs used to be casual operations, often started by boating enthusiasts, locals with a connection to the sea, family operations. A lot of places used to have a donation box and relied on the honour system. As the price of waterfront real estate has risen along with the price of 'entry level' boats and the income of new boaters, marinas have become more and more business-oriented and less and less sailing-oriented with, as everywhere now-a-days, bean counters cracking the whip. If you're hanging on an empty guest dock overnight, coming in after hours and gone early morning, its just chiselling to want to rent that slip for a day with all the attendant paper work and proof of insurance requirements.

Last edited:

socalrider

Super Anarchist
San Diego CA
I wonder if showing up in a disreputable home made contraption gets you more insurance questions than I get :unsure:
Yeah that's what I was thinking too... Certainly if someone pulls into a marina in a nice new-ish 40-50' Beneteau or Grand Banks the marina could pretty safely assume that the owner is insured & the boat won't sink at the dock. If I'm a dock manager & Seeker shows up requesting an 85' slip I'd certainly start asking questions...

Now that y'all mention it I've not been asked for proof of insurance when getting guest slips in Santa Barbara (great marina & reasonable guest rates btw). I've not tried for guest slips in any of the LA marinas as I've heard the prices are extortionate & I'd much rather be somewhere else. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Diarmuid

Super Anarchist
Laramie, WY, USA
MDR has (or used to have!) a few (8-10) transient slips right at the end of Burton Chace Park for something like $2/ft. There was a +/- 45 foot schooner in one of them, but its arse was hanging in the fairway a little.

See Level

Working to overcome my inner peace
Probably these guys

Screenshot_20220924-075439~2.png

low bum

Tennessee
Ah, Shogun - remember it well. I devoured the book as a teenager - if you powered your way through to the end you could almost speak basic conversational Japanese. After a while James Clavell just stopped translating.

I watched the freakshow video today where he fits a 24 volt alternator to his system and has a domino-series of alterations each with concomitant grinding, sparking failures. He's going to burn that thing to the waterline, which isn't easy with steel.

Latest posts