Sydney Gold Coast Race 2022

duncan (the other one)

Super Anarchist
Siderney
Does any part of the NoR alter IRC Rule 8.2.1 ?

Will any of the two handers race with an IRC TH certificate?

Will the division splits clarify or confuse?

Enquiring minds need to know.

Bill E Goat

Super Anarchist
Sydney
The models are all very different so a bit like statistics, give me the answer you want and I’ll find a model to provide it

terrafirma

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Wild Oats has done away with the dagger boards and gone back to a canard up front. Will be interesting to see how she goes and how the crews stack up on the Oats vs Comanche? Predict Wind showing a light start and a building of pressure as the head up the coast.

Last edited:

DickDastardly

Super Anarchist
Syderney
Wild Oats has done away with the dagger boards and gone back to a canard up front. Will be interesting to see how she goes and how the crews stack up on the Oats vs Comanche? Predict Wind showing a light start and a building of pressure as the head up the coast.
I could be wrong but that picture looks more like WOX than WOXI

terrafirma

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
I could be wrong but that picture looks more like WOX than WOXI
Yes your right. I didn't even look that closely other than the canard. This was on the front page under the 100's LOL. It didn't make sense Oats XI going back to a canard?

From the Front Page (Mind Your Back)

As the 100-foot mastodons prepare for battle in the 384nm Sydney-Gold Coast Race starting this Saturday, Wild Oats XI is finally back in the water after a two-year Covid layoff.

Nicknamed “The Swiss Army Knife” this much-modified Reichel-Pugh has, at various stages since its launch in 2005, sported every appendage known to man.

Its most recent go-fast foil is the towering front canard, shown above.

No doubt it helps the boat track and reduces leeway, but spare a thought for any foredeck crew who find themselves working up at the pointy end on a dark night.

WOXI has always had a tendency to nosedive. One big wave over the bow might make that foil and its supporting crane something of a hazard. Maybe that’s why the supermaxi has those nifty handrails along each gunnel? Click pic to take a closer look.

winch man

Australia
That is the 100, with the "Hamilton Island" branding on the hull.
They ditched the dagger board set up and went back to a single (steerable) canard a few years ago prior to the whole COVID shit show shutdown - see video below at around 10 secs:

Gorn FRANTIC!!

Super Anarchist
They ditched the dagger board set up and went back to a single (steerable) canard a few years ago prior to the whole COVID shit show shutdown - see video below at around 10 secs:

Same setup Blackjack is running
FB_IMG_1658930220497.jpg

terrafirma

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Ricco praising himself for the boat being so old but staying up to date in that video. Was quite funny because he praises North Sails and then himself.!

DickDastardly

Super Anarchist
Syderney
My bad. So we are more or less back at day 1 CBTF configuration - I assume they've lost the little daggerboard up front now too.

Chucky

Anarchist
Melbourne
Based on the current weather forecast there will be plenty of parking tickets in the firs 24 hours and then a nice 10 to 15 kts on the nose for Sunday and Monday.

terrafirma

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Based on the current weather forecast there will be plenty of parking tickets in the firs 24 hours and then a nice 10 to 15 kts on the nose for Sunday and Monday.
So Black Jack and Oats get the jump on Comanche and you'd think get far enough ahead to hold her off.