Sydney Gold Coast Race 2022

The Dark Knight

Super Anarchist
Brisvegas
It's looking like Moneypenny is the winner.

Wasn't one of the prizes for the winner a stay for 4 at some resort in Tassie that Langman owns? Maybe he'll give it to his crew?

LionIsland

Pittwater
You people know stuff. About a dozen have retired. Did they run out of patience and or did they get the stuffing shaken out of them and stuff let go from all the flopping about in buggerall breeze? Although I gotta say pretty impressed that they seem to have always been moving.

Maybe tonight might be a little slow going.

Btw how much tide was there this year that had the bulk of them rock hopping?

Rushman

FIIGS
Melbourne, Aust
You people know stuff. About a dozen have retired. Did they run out of patience and or did they get the stuffing shaken out of them and stuff let go from all the flopping about in buggerall breeze? Although I gotta say pretty impressed that they seem to have always been moving.

East Coast Current DUUUDDDEEEEEE
(the turtles in Finding Nemo know all about it)

Frogman56

Anarchist
Sydney
... Yup

EAC running around 2 knots S within 10 miles of the coast at some points e.g. near Byron

.. and it runs 24/7 on that axis, in theory linearly correlated to water depth out to the continental shelf

LionIsland

Pittwater
Yeah yeah very good.
Tide, current, you say “tomato” I say “toma(r)to”, what evs. No need to get pedantic about semantics.

The point of the question wasn’t to get technical on the name of the type of water flow down the coast. But to ask how hard was it flowing (2 knots you say!! Bloody hell! What a pain!) and why has there been a dozen retirements in what would appear to be mild conditions. Boredom? low food and water? shit breaking? Commitments scheduling?

As far as I can see, every time I check in, they’ve all been moving along over the ground quite well, despite the "tide" (yeah yeah, shaddup would ya- the East Coast Current) against them so I’d conclude that, by and large, they haven’t had many glassy periods which can test even the most patient sailors.

I haven’t been there but it seems it’s been light breeze yes, coming from where they want to go to, yes, but large swells, bounce back and glass outs, no.

I’d go so far as to conclude quite good conditions, quite fun technically for racing, albeit a bit slow although 2 days for the fast boats up to 4 days for the others to get up the the coast ain’t that bad. Sure beats getting bashed up.

4 days!
The tracker still has the last couple getting in Thursday!

Give me a couple of days of hard slog followed by a couple in the bar, rather than 4 or 5 days drifting around any time! And yes Ive been there in under 2 day on an old 2 tonner and run out of food a couple of times so I've tried both ends of the spectrum.

HILLY

HILLY
Lake Macquarie

Right at the bottom of the Standings page is a section called Race Organisers Notes, it contains the retirees and reasons when given.

LionIsland

Pittwater
Huh! Look at that. It does too. Only when I look on ‘puter or IPad but not on iPhone.
Thanks.
So about 50% are time constraints. 25% rigging issues.

Bill E Goat

Super Anarchist
Sydney
Well 48 hours of shit, then 24 hours of great sailing. So that makes you forget about the shit when you were saying to yourself f'uck I'm not doing this again"
Now after drinking your body weight in rum your mind erases the shit 48 hours and start to
PXL_20220801_233424933.jpg
PXL_20220802_004339465.jpg
do it all again