Sydney to Hobart 2010

quote]transmission could not always be heard until she reached Tasman Island.
they were satisfied at that time that the radio was operational and had a signal strength fit for the ensuing purpose. [/quote
Am I the first to say that this was all a big publicity stunt by the race organisers. Its funny that both the line honours and one of the pre race favourites are the only ones to be singled out.

Also did Ran also go through the same series of events that WOXI went through? or was there a separate hearing/decision for that one too?
agree...

does anyone else find it strange that nothing has been reported about the Ran protest?

does anyone else find it strange that none of what 'actually' happened with WOX1 was not disseminated more widely?

Doesn't JBW talk to anyone on the Race committee until after the race?

cpq4

Behind you
quote]transmission could not always be heard until she reached Tasman Island.
they were satisfied at that time that the radio was operational and had a signal strength fit for the ensuing purpose. [/quote
Am I the first to say that this was all a big publicity stunt by the race organisers. Its funny that both the line honours and one of the pre race favourites are the only ones to be singled out.

Also did Ran also go through the same series of events that WOXI went through? or was there a separate hearing/decision for that one too?
agree...

does anyone else find it strange that nothing has been reported about the Ran protest?

does anyone else find it strange that none of what 'actually' happened with WOX1 was not disseminated more widely?

Doesn't JBW talk to anyone on the Race committee until after the race?

Are you on drugs?

What hasn't been reported?

FACTS FOUND:  

1. RAN reported by HF radio and received acknowledgement from Hobart radio while in the vicinity of Gabo Island as required by sailing instruction 44.2 and reported all was well and she was proceeding in the race.

2. RAN reported at all subsequent schedules by telephone due to malfunction of her HF radio.

BACKGROUND

Following the CYCA enquiry into the Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race 1998 the CYCA instituted a number of safety measures including a number of requirements for boats to address when passing Green Cape.

These requirements are included in sailing instruction 44 for the Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race 2010 (copy attached) and include a requirement that a boat has to assess whether ‘its HF Radio is operational and has a signal strength fit for the ensuing purpose’

CONCLUSIONS AND RULES THAT APPLY:

RAN satisfied the requirements of sailing instruction 44.2 and maintained scheduled reports as provided by sailing instruction 40.6.

DECISION:

Protest dismissed.

The International Jury: John Kirkjian (Chairman), John Rountree, Ronnie McCracken, Selvam Mookken, Tony Mooney.

Fucking dope smoking hippies

StowAway

According to the tracker, Terra Firma and Vamp have been in sight of the finish for over an hour now. Is there no wind at the finish?
Now the tracker is saying that Terra Firma finished at eight thirty. How hard is it to have some manual input into the website, when a boat actually finishes the race?

Last edited by a moderator:

savoir

Super Anarchist
...meanwhile back to the race... anyone got a weather update? how is it looking for those on the way in, Has Victoire got it in the bag?

I think that Secret Men's Business 3.5 could put the Champagne in the fridge now, judging by the boat speed down the East Coast it is getting a lot softer out there, can't see Victoire getting in by 3am tomorrow.
Here's hopin'... trying to follow this from Norway (-19 btw) and Yacht Tracker is not the best of guides! I've been watching SMB and thought they'd blown it early. Kempy must have been praying to the right wind gods :)

Don't worry mamd, the people watching the race from Sydney, from Hobart and from all parts in between see the same tracker that you do. The only difference is that you have to chip the ice off your keyboard before starting . . . . . . . well unless you have one of those fancy heated ones.

Kozikas

Look sailing events could be done better with sat radio better trackers and more live viewing but it all comes down to costs and most yacht clubs just don't have the dollar to spend so it's up to ppl to gather info when they can and until someone can step in to run these type of things.

(p)Irate

Super Anarchist
Got friends on Aurora who did no worse

last year than WOXI this year but got 30% penalty. She's The Culprit got taken out last year by the "race winner" but conveniently a patsy was DSQ. No corruption in sailing...

mezaire

Super Anarchist
Tasmania
While I congratulate WO and her crew for winning 5, this decision makes no sense to me.

Both WO and RAN had issues with their HF's at Green Cape but were able to remedy, this bit site fine with me.

But what DOES NOT is the fact that both boats had problems with their HF's after Green Cape and performed radio sched's with sat phones......WHAT??

So all of a sudden you need your HF to enter Bass Strait but not to cross it, or go down the East Coast??? If a boat did not have a sat phone and had the same issues then they would of been scrubbed or retired, as some boats did.

The use of sat phones should of been taken as irrelevant in the hearing. If you miss a sched due to HF radio failure then you either take a penalty of are DNF. As far as I can read from the hearing reports is that RAN definately missed scheds and used her Sat phone and I'm pretty sure WO did too.

Looks like money talks.

So what's allowed??? My mate is in the race, somewhere off Maria and their HF won't work for a sched so he calls me on his 3G mobile and asks me to call CYCA and relay their position, is this OK??

Rant over....

Mez

House Salad

Anarchist
WLIS
My guess is that Richard's argument will be:

1. the HF Radio was operational but signal strength was weak

2. My assessment under 44.1 was that the signal strength was fit for purpose because we had a Sat Phone that we could use for longer range communications.

3. we could not raise JBW so called Hobart Race Control and reported compliance, based on my assessment.

4. 44.2 does not state how we need to call Hobart Race Control, therefore HRC should have recorded us as complied with 44.1 and 44.2, therefore no grounds for scoring DNF.
Exactly!

TPG

Super Anarchist
canter takes line honors

canter takes 2nd in irc

canters take 1st and 2nd in orci

commence whining. :lol:

So what's allowed??? My mate is in the race, somewhere off Maria and their HF won't work for a sched so he calls me on his 3G mobile and asks me to call CYCA and relay their position, is this OK??
Tell your mate to spend the 20 fucking bucks a day for a satphone rental.

RHough

Super Anarchist
Is anyone else old enough to remember the '79 Fastnet?

IIRC one of the reasons that working long range communication equipment was NOT required was that it would add to the expense of competing. We all know how that worked out.

My personal experience is that my HF radio is more reliable than my Sat Phone. If a top program like WO cannot manage to have a *reliable* HF radio what example are they setting? The radio is under MY control, the damn satellites are not. Why would I rely on someone's sat network in an emergency? Sure EPIRB's use satellites, but that is a last resort used *after* the HF radio has stopped working, not instead of the HF radio.

If an idiot like me can have a reliable HF radio, why is it too much to ask of Cat 1 racing boats?

R

TPG

Super Anarchist

IIRC one of the reasons that working long range communication equipment was NOT required was that it would add to the expense of competing. We all know how that worked out.

My personal experience is that my HF radio is more reliable than my Sat Phone. If a top program like WO cannot manage to have a *reliable* HF radio what example are they setting? The radio is under MY control, the damn satellites are not. Why would I rely on someone's sat network in an emergency? Sure EPIRB's use satellites, but that is a last resort used *after* the HF radio has stopped working, not instead of the HF radio.

If an idiot like me can have a reliable HF radio, why is it too much to ask of Cat 1 racing boats?

R

You can't control propagation.

RHough

Super Anarchist

R

You can't control propagation.
True. The HF radio however is a broadcast, a phone call is not. If propagation is poor to the station you are trying to reach, there is a good chance that *someone* will hear you. Not so with a phone call.

I have some control over propagation with frequency selection. I have no control over the satellite network.

As I understand the intent of the rule, it is to require reliable safety and emergency equipment. If the HF radio is not reliable then the intent has not been met. It is every skippers choice to continue any passage, as I understand it, some boats that did not have reliable HF radios chose to retire. WO statement indicates that they felt there radio was reliable enough but not reliable enough for scheduled check ins? How does that fit with what the intent of the rule?

1. WILD OATS XI attempted to radio in at Green Cape by HF Radio without success. 

2. WILD OATS XI then contacted the race director by phone in the vicinity of Green Cape and was advised to not continue if the HF radio was not working properly.

3. They then altered course for approximately 20 minutes and found what they believed to be the problem with the radio and that was fixed.

4. Only after fixing the radio and obtaining acknowledgement from Hobart radio at 9:04 that the reception on 6516kHz was received, did they resume racing.

5. WILD OATS XI continued to have intermittent problems with the radio and could hear the remaining radio schedules but her transmission could not always be heard until she reached Tasman Island. She did make alternative arrangements to report to JBW by phone at those times.

This sounds like a failed/failing bit of required safety equipment. It sounds like they chose to continue sailing *even though they knew* the radio was not reliable. Did they place getting line honours above safety? That is how it appears to me. What message does this send to others?

If the SI's allowed alternative arrangements, why did the RC file the protest?If the SI's did not allow alternative arrangements, why was an exception made?

I have no bone to pick with WO or any other boat. Lack of a communication requirement was a factor in the '79 Fastnet disaster. This rule for S-H was added in response to people dying in '98. Leaders should set good examples. Retiring from first because your HF radio was not reliable sets a good example. Continuing with failing safety gear does not, it only serves to lure other skippers into making poor choices.

R

RHough

Super Anarchist

R
===========

Why don't you contact Mark Richards and get the facts rather than insinuate some kind of lapse on their part?
Did you read the facts found?

No insinuation by me. WO said the radio did not work reliably, that's why they used the Sat Phone. Why the RC accepted those calls is a completely separate subject.