Sydney to Hobart 2017

Hank

From the sailing instructions...

Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race 2017
Sailing Instructions
20. ALTERNATIVE PENALTIES
(Amends RRS 44, 63.1 and 64)
20.1 BEFORE CLEARING TURNING MARKS Z/Y.
(a) For an infringement of Part 2 of the RRS that occurs after the Preparatory Signal and 
prior to the boat clearing the relevant seamark (Mark Z/ Mark Y), the Two Turns Penalty 
under RRS 44.2 shall apply.
(b) A boat which is found after a protest hearing to have infringed a rule of Part 2 of the 
RRS after the Preparatory Signal and prior to the boat clearing the relevant seamark 
(Mark Z/ Mark Y), shall receive a time penalty of not less than 5 minutes added to the 
boat’s elapsed time.................

____'___'_______'

Was the foul committed prior to the turning mark? If so Oats needed to the turns ASAP! No 5 minute penalty prior to the turning marks! Oats should be DSQed! I hope it goes to the room!

How do you read this ???? 

maybe so,  but it also a classy move to not impede the starboard tack yacht holding its course with an aggressively close tack. I think it will come down to the skipper.  What will he want to be remembered for?   And what past do the skippers have with each other?  
Absolutely, a complete dick move by Richo, just looks a bit like sour grapes to win in the room after such an epic race.

I honestly thought the Big C had it in the bag respect to the old RP shitter to come back.

savoir

Super Anarchist
If you want a laugh for Aussies put it on ABC News 24 they’ve dragged some old pissed bloke Patrick into the studio from a long customs house lunch to commentate the finish. I’m sure he’s about 2 bottles of red in. Tipping the ABC weren’t ready for an early record finish. It’s commical. 
Patrick Bollen perchance ?

jack_sparrow

Super Anarchist
While we wait this out with both boats in the creek with WOXI in front, little breeze and the outgoing tide now starting to rush and around 6 1/2 miles to the finish. Anchors will now be deployed on deck.

So while we wait this out.

There have been a barrage of references to the International Jury (IJ) that determine the Indians protest over WOXI's "le Bow Fuck", and by the Sailing Instructions (SI's)  a potential time penalty against WOXI of not less than 5 minutes, and where disqualification cannot be discounted. That has all come about because WOXI elected to not do two (2) 360 degree turns. Do your own calculation for Richo not having done that. What a dick some will no doubt say.

First who is the IJ? They are body nominated by the Race Organiser (RO), via the RO's Race Committee (RC) to Australian Sailing, an affiliate of World Sailing (WS) for approval. Once approved the decisions of the IJ are final and there is no appeal

This process should not be confused with WS sanctioned events like the VOR, AC etc where WS nominate their own IJ with the IJ having the support of a Investigating Officer(s). The IJ for the S2H are currently sitting in Hobart downing coloured drinks by the hotel pool.

Second, there is debate that if Comanche do get over the line first, then they will drop their protest. 

What everyone forgets is that if that was to occur, then the RC with the video evidence of the incident, have no option but to then refer it to the IJ, on account of its impact on placings, particularly LH's for boats like BJ etc, potential 3rd party Rule 69's about bringing the sport into disrepute etc. 

If the RC didn't lodge that protest having regard for the above they would be run out of town.

So who makes up the approved and sanctioned  IJ for this event? They are as follows;

To be continued..I have to grab a cup of tea.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts