Sydney to Hobart 2017

terrafirma

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
There was a vid earlier showing Comanche and WOXI smoking downwind, in roughly the same area.  Comanche had fuckloads of water hosing the crew - quite bow down, whilst Oats was relatively dry - they were both doing around 30 from memory
In the end it was proven that Oats was actually faster in some of those running conditions and the Oats bow is no longer burying which means speed gains. Although the conditions were mostly dead running I was surprised Oats was able to stay with Comanche and actually gain at times. The Oats boys will be buoyant about this for future races. 

jack_sparrow

Super Anarchist
Although the conditions were mostly dead running I was surprised Oats was able to stay with Comanche and actually gain at times.
Not so much faster but could nearly match, match or even exceed Comanche in BS depending on breeze, all when going deeper. Look at the extra miles but with better BS/VMG Comanche had to sail to just get around the corner in front.

Last edited by a moderator:

duncan (the other one)

Super Anarchist
Siderney
Not so much faster but could nearly match, match or even exceed Comanche in BS depending on breeze, all when going deeper. Look at the extra miles but with better BS/VMG Comanche had to sail to just get around the corner in front.
a la...

WOXI.png

comanche.png

terrafirma

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Yep a masterclass in coming up with the best track for the plow.
Interesting as all the early vids I saw of the Indian showed the bow out of the water but in those conditions and sailing as deep as possible she became a plow. There’s no doubting her best has been seen beam reaching. At least the Oats changes have been vindicated especially when you look at how Black Jack was left behind this year. Oats will be looking to make some small gains in the light if they can. 

jack_sparrow

Super Anarchist
look at how Black Jack was left behind this year.
Wasn't that a complete and utter disappointment. Don't think they will be sitting around leaving it the way it is. That said, it is a pretty big call to make major or well considered mods unless you have given it a workout or you like tearing up money and time.

SCANAS

Super Anarchist
Brisbane
Wasn't that a complete and utter disappointment. Don't think they will be sitting around leaving it the way it is. That said, it is a pretty big call to make major or well considered mods unless you have given it a workout or you like tearing up money and time.
I think you'll see a new finer bow like WOXI. Sounds like they like the front board ie lack of drag, If you are going to keep the light air game down probably not too much else. 

Dont forget race record was broken last two years so not typical weather. 

Easy to see them getting out in front & holding the other 2-3 off. 

HMM263

Isla Nubla
On 1/27/2018 at 3:47 AM, jack_sparrow said:

The Which Watch My Watch is Better people keep punching them out.

Finally seen this JS, what a vid! Why does the squeaky bum vids with Patrice and Mascalzone look so much more enjoyable than the 100ft vids?

DickDastardly

Super Anarchist
Syderney
Interesting as all the early vids I saw of the Indian showed the bow out of the water but in those conditions and sailing as deep as possible she became a plow. There’s no doubting her best has been seen beam reaching. At least the Oats changes have been vindicated especially when you look at how Black Jack was left behind this year. Oats will be looking to make some small gains in the light if they can. 
Oats has no option but to sail deep as they simply haven't the righting moment to sail tighter angles.  It's very clear how much lower they can sail from those plots - thanks forthe post Duncan!  Naturally, the Indian's optimal angles will always be much higher as it needs to exploit its big RM and reduce wetted area through running heel angles.

Hence WOXI runs loose luff kites as well as zeroes.  The Indian only runs Xeros, ditto Blackjack.  Blackjack could well benefit from some big loose luff kites as it has even less RM than WOXI and is lighter.

jackolantern

Super Anarchist
Comanche has a big top down furling A4 that was not on display in that video or indeed ever in this race. I wonder if they found it was too round to be useful offshore or if it was dropped off the boat for rating/weight reasons. The "Keef!" sail

PIL...... I know we don't deserve it... but... I'm curious. 

Seems like they didn't want to give up the tungsten bulb, but limited draft with the original keel means (obviously) less righting moment. Light air yes she's faster but probably from 10 knots upwards no chance whatsoever. The size difference in the rigs between BJ and the other 100's was striking. 

PIL66 - XL2

Super Anarchist
Stralya
Oats has no option but to sail deep as they simply haven't the righting moment to sail tighter angles.  It's very clear how much lower they can sail from those plots - thanks forthe post Duncan!  Naturally, the Indian's optimal angles will always be much higher as it needs to exploit its big RM and reduce wetted area through running heel angles.

Hence WOXI runs loose luff kites as well as zeroes.  The Indian only runs Xeros, ditto Blackjack.  Blackjack could well benefit from some big loose luff kites as it has even less RM than WOXI and is lighter.
Agree DD

I think and have heard somewhere that much was probably learnt from that hit out...

Comanche has a big top down furling A4 that was not on display in that video or indeed ever in this race. I wonder if they found it was too round to be useful offshore or if it was dropped off the boat for rating/weight reasons. The "Keef!" sail

PIL...... I know we don't deserve it... but... I'm curious. 
I believe you are correct Jocko and will ask / confirm if I get the opportunity... maybe today.. 

Agree also with Captain Jack that blackjack was disappointing. I bet on Croaky for the win years back more due to the fact that the Alfa boys were racing week in week out but now regardless of crew, I believe that WO mods for down wind running were undeniably successful...  

jack_sparrow

Super Anarchist
This is a 25min behind the scenes number. Odd how they produce these so long after the event.