Sydney To Hobart 2018

Cal20sailor

Super Anarchist
Detroit
Shame that WOXI team think they have to break the rules in order to win! Two years in a row now, last year the gamble didn't pay off and yet, they would have been better off by following all the rules. This year again.... The Oats boys should back themselves more me thinks?!?
Don't compare the two!  Last year was a total fuck up or freeze up in a very normal P/S situation.  The AIS thing, if true was a calculated move and quite the opposite.  I cannot believe anyone would be that stupid with the eyes of the world upon them, but you know your guys better than I do.  

jack_sparrow

Super Anarchist
11.4 Changes to Special Regulations

Special Regulation 4.09 (a): An AIS Transponder shall be carried and be switched on, such that it is receiving and transmitting.

“It’s not a mandatory thing … we were in sight of each other the whole race, it was that close,” Richards said.

Fuck what is it with this guy? He is he going for some S2H arrogant cunt record?

This is not going away.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cal20sailor

Super Anarchist
Detroit
6 hours I think, but it could be any of the contestants. I still think the race committee should investigate! This was an infringement against the whole fleet.
And any member of the fleet can protest and claim that they only had learned less than 6 hrs previously.  This sucks.  

paps49

Super Anarchist
Adelaide Australia
11.4 Changes to Special Regulations

Special Regulation 4.09 (a): An AIS Transponder shall be carried and be switched on, such that it is receiving and transmitting.

“It’s not a mandatory thing … we were in sight of each other the whole race, it was that close,” Richards said.

Fuck what is it with this guy? He is he going for some S2H arrogant cunt record?
Trying to improve on his own record perhaps?

lahana

Failed State
Don't compare the two!  Last year was a total fuck up or freeze up in a very normal P/S situation.  The AIS thing, if true was a calculated move and quite the opposite.  I cannot believe anyone would be that stupid with the eyes of the world upon them, but you know your guys better than I do.  
You're right, different type of incident. Was trying to explain why the arrogance of the team?! Last year they could have done a 360deg and got on with it... and still won LH.

SC65

how can you “encourage” the RC to investigate if not filing a protest? a statement on social media doesn’t seem to be the right way either. 

Unfortunately, now I think the RC probably needs to investigate just to maintain the integrity of the race. It would be nice if racing could finish without these sorts of incidents.

As I am a dinghy sailor who doesn't need AIS, perhaps someone more knowledgeable can answer this for me: Do the Class B transceivers that they are carrying act as a black box type recorder? if so it should be relatively easy for the committee to download a record of the events . You never know maybe it turns out that Black Jack has the faulty unit and not WOXI

stufishing

Brisbane
how can you “encourage” the RC to investigate if not filing a protest? a statement on social media doesn’t seem to be the right way either. 
I guess they are not the type wanting to be seen to win by protesting on a technicality. Perhaps they feel they have given WOXI the chance to respond by doing it this way. I reckon initial response "not a mandatory thing" may make it clear what their next move has to be!

trt131

Super Anarchist
As I said earlier AIS is an anti-collision device, it is not a device for tactical decisions (although some do use it this way).  So was there a chance of a collision at any stage due to no AIS signal being received.