Sydney To Hobart 2018

11.4 Changes to Special Regulations

Special Regulation 4.09 (a): An AIS Transponder shall be carried and be switched on, such that it is receiving and transmitting.

“It’s not a mandatory thing … we were in sight of each other the whole race, it was that close,” Richards said.

Fuck what is it with this guy? He is he going for some S2H arrogant cunt record?

This is not going away.

He’d better brush up on his definitions. 
If it goes to the PC, it’s not looking good on the defence front. Flippant, throw away comments in the public domain are costly. 

RYA Race Management Guide 2017–2020:
1.4. TERMINOLOGY
‘Shall’ - mandatory action
‘Will’ - intended action
‘Should’ - best endeavours
‘May’ - optional action

[email protected]

Super Anarchist
43 south
Alive just north of White Rock

20181228_141818.jpg

20181228_141946.jpg

Francis Vaughan

Super Anarchist
11.4 Changes to Special Regulations

Special Regulation 4.09 (a): An AIS Transponder shall be carried and be switched on, such that it is receiving and transmitting.

“It’s not a mandatory thing … we were in sight of each other the whole race, it was that close,” Richards said.

Fuck what is it with this guy? He is he going for some S2H arrogant cunt record?

This is not going away.
I was of the opinion that it should probably get a slap on the wrist and a warning until he said this. Things break. But he is essentially saying that he knew it was off and possibly that it was a deliberate act. If true this should not go away. It isn't about cheating. As we saw in the VOR,  AIS is a critical part of the MOB rescue system. Had they lost someone overboard at night they would not have been able to locate them until the AIS was back on-line. Now maybe they somehow had it set to receive only, in which case it does become a deliberate act of cheating. But to deliberately disable a safety system is something that cannot be allowed to go away.

trt131

Super Anarchist
I was of the opinion that it should probably get a slap on the wrist and a warning until he said this. Things break. But he is essentially saying that he knew it was off and possibly that it was a deliberate act. If true this should not go away. It isn't about cheating. As we saw in the VOR,  AIS is a critical part of the MOB rescue system. Had they lost someone overboard at night they would not have been able to locate them until the AIS was back on-line. Now maybe they somehow had it set to receive only, in which case it does become a deliberate act of cheating. But to deliberately disable a safety system is something that cannot be allowed to go away.
Didnt he answer the question about the tracker and not the AIS.

Cal20sailor

Super Anarchist
Detroit
Well, from the other side of the globe I saw their updated positions every 10 mins so I highly doubt he was talking about the tracker being off.  

It's stupid beyond belief that they would have shut it off but that apparently is what they did contravening the rules.  Actions have consequences.  

Last edited by a moderator:

us7070

Super Anarchist
I was of the opinion that it should probably get a slap on the wrist and a warning until he said this. Things break. But he is essentially saying that he knew it was off and possibly that it was a deliberate act. If true this should not go away. It isn't about cheating. As we saw in the VOR,  AIS is a critical part of the MOB rescue system. Had they lost someone overboard at night they would not have been able to locate them until the AIS was back on-line. Now maybe they somehow had it set to receive only, in which case it does become a deliberate act of cheating. But to deliberately disable a safety system is something
like i said in several posts above...

nearly all race boats have a switch to turn AIS transmit off

it leaves AIS reception on.., and  the woxi navigator was certainly looking at AIS positions of other boats the whole race.

Some races don't require AIS transmission for all or part of the race.., but you always want to receive. Bermuda race for example requires you to transmit at the start and finish.., but not in between. However many boats transmit the whole race anyway.., so you want to be able to receive without transmitting - hence the switch

us7070

Super Anarchist
if he answered about the tracker he was wrong about that  - doesn't he read the SI's?

no tracker is a DSQ (stated explicitly).., if i were the skipper .., I would know about that....

jackolantern

Super Anarchist
if he answered about the tracker he was wrong about that  - doesn't he read the SI's?

no tracker is a DSQ (stated explicitly).., if i were the skipper .., I would know about that....
Serious question, when do you think Ricko read the SIs last? 

Cal20sailor

Super Anarchist
Detroit

No shit.  Unless I am mistaken, this race is THE SHOW.  The Daytona 500, Indianapolis 500, Kentucky Derby, World Series, Superbowl of sailing.  How do you fuck up something so simple?  Just don't get it.  

Alex W

Super Anarchist
Seattle, WA
What’s the deal with boats being in multiple handicap divisions?  For instance Joy Ride (a Seattle boat that I know and have crewed on) is in IRC3 and ORCi4. 

Can a boat podium in two fleets?

I’m used to seeing two handicap systems mixed, but I haven’t seen boats registered into multiple systems before. 

paps49

Super Anarchist
Adelaide Australia
hoppy said:
My reading of the forecast is that the winner is going to be a boat that get in before the Derwent shuts down tonight. A few days ago the forecast had a fresh northerly to take the IRC 3 & 4 boats home with speed, but now they look like they will have light conditions and more parking to do. 
Yes, I'd rather be Alive than Itchy right now.

Rantifarian

Rantifarian
What’s the deal with boats being in multiple handicap divisions?  For instance Joy Ride (a Seattle boat that I know and have crewed on) is in IRC3 and ORCi4. 

Can a boat podium in two fleets?

I’m used to seeing two handicap systems mixed, but I haven’t seen boats registered into multiple systems before. 
You can run in as many divisions as you want for most passage races in Aus, since it's all run at the same time and just different numbers crunched at the end. It will usually cost you a few dollars though