Sydney To Hobart 2018

SPORTSCAR

Super Anarchist
hoppy said:
is this a sell out by the CYCA or ch7 playing hardball?
After viewing that atrocious start coverage with incessant advertising I have to wonder if CYCA is in fact trousering a share of the Advertising revenue?

Otherwise, as the controlling body and owner of the event, why do they condone that sort of coverage year after year despite the annual howls of protest.

SPORTSCAR

Super Anarchist
Off on a 9 hour Road Trip, Melbourne to sunny Ulladulla to meet Patriot who are on their way there under emergency steering after losing their rudder last night. All are safe and well on board but understandably devastated. I am taking rum and champagne with me as consoling fluid to assist them in their hour of need. 
Back home after a 1640Km round trip drive from Melbourne to Ulladulla to bring back race sails and gear, and Mrs S, from the rudderless Patriot. A temporary rudder will be fitted tomorrow and she will make her way under steam to Sydney for a more permanent repair. Crew understandably shattered but discussions re next year already taking place. 

Sorry to see 2 Unlimited suffered a similar fate and wish them well making it to port

We are on the Bass Strait  ferry to Devonport tomorrow morning and then on to Hobart to pick up the other gear, delivery sails etc sent down in the container and to drown sorrows at one or all of the waterfront inebriatoriums.

Last edited by a moderator:

jack_sparrow

Super Anarchist
Pot of mussels on the stove, still 36C outside I'm going to drown my sorrows. Can we bowl India out for under 500?
Interesting that flicked a parallel switch in my head.

Sailing largely a self policing sport when it comes to cheating. Also one with one of its lead characters not one who readily elicits much sympathy as a consequence of recent actions in the eyes of some.

Maybe Richo sanded the AIS away with a little bit of yellow sandpaper?

Then there is the question of ruling bodies being forced to react to controversy. Maybe the President of Australian Sailing and Vice-Chair of World Sailing’s Oceanic & Offshore Committee might be presented with a shit sandwich, not a rum and coke to digest, when he steps off Ichi in an hour or so.

jack_sparrow

Super Anarchist
Ugly finish for ichi and friends, every time I look at the tracker speeds are dropping. They have been about an hour away for an hour!
For every mile they go they drop a knot in BS. At 3.5nm DTG doing 3.1 kt they will coast over. Definitely WOX got #2 spot.

Rushman

FIIGS
Melbourne, Aust
Back home after a 1640Km round trip drive from Melbourne to Ulladulla to bring back sails and gear, and Mrs S, from the rudderless Patriot. A temporary rudder will be fitted tomorrow and she will make her way under steam to Sydney for a more permanent repair. Crew understandably shattered but discussions re next year already taking place. 
I wondered who that was trying to play chicken with me on the Princes Hwy this afternoon.

You win, I only did 815km today to pick up a Hobie 16

Sidecar

…………………………
Tasmania
Great result for a Tasmanian who also wanted the girls to do well...... Well done to both of them.

Ichi Ban did well to come as close as they did.

Maw

Well, that's the hard part out of the way, having the balls to protest it.

Regardless of the outcome, that was the very right and very smart thing to do by the RC.

Hope it doesn't open up a rat hole, ie: who-else-was-naughty?

Maw

image.png