Sydney To Hobart 2018

jack_sparrow

Super Anarchist
Most boring thread hijack in SA history. 
Scan I think it was you who derailed it with the perennial lead up complaint being barriers to participation for the S2H which, following the Flow Chart on the wall behind the bar leads to what those barriers are, then to analysis of them (and that a 50 years ago  reference is a mandatory inclusion for those with grey hair), then the technical shit added to keep @shaggybaxter running out to buy more tissues, and all interspersed with a fight at some point, but always ending with debate on who has has the best pair of tits in the bar....

Mate you need to follow the chart.

images (80).jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Livia

Super Anarchist
Southern Ocean
Most boring thread hijack in SA history. 
Young Scanas, one day soon if you are really unlucky you will really be getting the shit kicked out of you miles from nowhere. Like really bad.

That old Codan 8525 on the Rumcar will be quite important to you.

If for no other reason you will hear the reassuring sound of other people getting the shit kicked out of them.

Youngsters today Jack!

SCANAS

Super Anarchist
Brisbane
Young Scanas, one day soon if you are really unlucky you will really be getting the shit kicked out of you miles from nowhere. Like really bad.

That old Codan 8525 on the Rumcar will be quite important to you.

If for no other reason you will hear the reassuring sound of other people getting the shit kicked out of them.

Youngsters today Jack!
My brain is small & all this HF info is squeezing out what you taught me about lanolin & rigging last weekend!

In all seriousness I have been listening, have committed into memory to charge batteries before sked, radio test as late in day (or night) away from Marina & separate DSC receiver. 

jack_sparrow

Super Anarchist
Youngsters today Jack!
Lydia the interesting thing is just a few years or so after a thing called the Internet came into being, in 1998 the Smart Phone or even the GoPro hadn't yet been invented.

My guess is if there ever was, heaven forbid, a replay of 98 to happen, then after watching a few "on-board" UTube vids, any discussion about safety shit in SI's being a barrier to race participation would around the world cease overnight.

Livia

Super Anarchist
Southern Ocean
Nothing like a poor HF transmission to transmit the fear in someone’s voice!

Sorry had to be said.

Like 98 just as most emergencies, all semblance of radio discipline just disappeared.

jack_sparrow

Super Anarchist

Sorry had to be said.

Like 98 just as most emergencies, all semblance of radio discipline just disappeared.
Unfortunately that "fear" can be unintentionaly disguised via 'voice only HF".

Instead of reading a DSC HF or Inmarsat C  page on the screen that was sent out on all channels with the push of a red button saying, " Mayday, We are sinking," along with vessel name and GPS coordinates, and for SAR vessel particulars, plus photo, POB etc if registered. However on voice HF all that was heard were the garbled words from some soul in an American accent recieved on one frequency saying,  "We are drinking".

The immediate thought upon anyone hearing that was; "what the fuck is some unknown prick in Texas on the piss at some cowboy BBQ doing on a marine safety channel, someone needs to tell that cockhead to fuck off"

An exaggeration maybe but not outside the realms of possibility and simply reinforces  your point about 98 being, "all semblance of radio discipline just disappeared".

If the RC of the S2H is set on believing the S2H race is a Cat 1 Race, then why are they still using ancient technology, and technology that was abandoned by the world wide SAR community shortly after the 98 S2H? That was nearly 20 years ago and by phasing in DSC HF and finally 5 years ago mandated by World Sailing for Cat 1 & 2 in Offshore Regs?

The answer is simple. The numbskulls at the CYC by going for some low hanging communication fruit are both reducing costs of entry but on the other hand are desperately trying for some bizzare reason to hang on to the tag the S2H is a Cat 1 race, just like the RORC's  Cat 1 Trans Atlantic? One is over 1000's of miles with no SAR infrastucture within cooee but has a communication platform that addresses that. The other is a coastal sprint with SAR infrastucture to burn but has a communication platform that ignores that. That is fucking bizzare.

The irony is some may understand that and don't enter, particularly smaller boats or people like Scanas being forced to get his old Codan 8525 to work, probably spend more money on unsupported legacy stuff, compared to simply saving money upgrading to some form of approved GMDSS platform.

The CYC has a Cat 1 dick envy issue that could well prove a catastrofuck.

Rant over and BTW Lydia I can't work out between us both who is supposed to be the straight man?

hqdefault (1).jpg

DickDastardly

Super Anarchist
Syderney

Sorry had to be said.

Having been a radio operator on a boat in that race I'd disagree.  It was pretty good in my recollectin, not perfect obviously, but generally good as we all realised the value of keeping things calm pretty quickly.

crafty_otter

melbourne
For interest in adding fuel to this dumpster fire. 

Latest Boating WA news letter

"The Maritime Agency Forum have recently endorsed the decision to cease 24 hour voice monitoring of HF radio across Australia by 31 December 2020. This is based on the limited use of HF and improvement in alternate technologies"

"DoT wishes to provide a list of current alternatives to provide vessels owners time to adjust to these changes. Please note there is no proposal to amend legislation as HF and any alternatives are seen as secondary communication devices to an EPIRB in an emergency situation."

jack_sparrow

Super Anarchist
"The Maritime Agency Forum have recently endorsed the decision to cease 24 hour voice monitoring of HF radio across Australia by 31 December 2020. This is based on the limited use of HF and improvement in alternate technologies"
Crafty never heard of an outfit called the Maritime Agency Forum? Do you have a linky?

That aside I suspect that news letter refers to the National Coast Radio network which is a State based voice net (non-DSC) for HF and VHF. It used to have half a dozen stations around Australia including Charleville And Wiluna catering for HF voice 24/7. The others are already 12 hours per day I think and only Wiluna and Charleville exist now doing that 24/7  and simply as an adjunct to their being Australia's only 24/7 SOLAS and non-SOLAS (small craft <300t) stations for DSC HF plus Bureau of Meteorology coastal and high seas HF voice forecasts. 

southerncross

Super Anarchist
calling for mudslides in the burn areas tomorrow. fall is a crazy crossover of santa ana conditions  ( hot, dry , windy) and then subside to normal fall , cooler , possibly wet. after it burns, you can piss on a hillside and cause a slide with all the vegetation gone. sucks.
Yeah. Fuck all that.  I'm out. Beautiful place to live but deadly. Sounds like most of the women in my life.

olaf hart

Super Anarchist
On the ladder wire groundplane trick, I was under the impression it should be under the waterline like the KISS thing,  not under the gunwhales.

Any of you learned gentlemen wish to comment?

BTW I will now show my aged 8525 more respect.

Recidivist

Super Anarchist
That may well be...but I think the weather there this time of year doesn't translate that well to turning right on 26 Dec.
And that, Jack, is just the point.

I gave up cold water sailing many years ago, and happily traded those Tshirts for Raja Muda and Kings Cup ones.  Snorkelling in Banda Naira or the Tanimbars beats the crap out of hunkering down in Wineglass Bay!

And Pangkor to Penang usually starts very light and slowly builds, so what Team Scally is seeing in the video isn't unusual.  But holy fuck!  If they get caught up in a storm (Sumatran), they'll be dousing cloth faster than you need to in a Hobart. (Actually, they'll be finished before the storms come through, so no likelihood of cartwheeling it).

longy

Overlord of Anarchy
San Diego
On the ladder wire groundplane trick, I was under the impression it should be under the waterline like the KISS thing,  not under the gunwhales.

Any of you learned gentlemen wish to comment?

BTW I will now show my aged 8525 more respect.
When we tested the KISS snake it was laid out under the W/L

Latest posts