Sydney to Hobart 2019

PIL66 - XL2

Super Anarchist
Stralya
Shockwave. 

yandy104896.jpg
Very late program.  No crew confirmed.. rig yet to go in.. no training.... 

Recidivist

Super Anarchist
Thanks guys.  Boats get re-optimised all the time, but it seems Maverick's in the ball park with a TP52, and so her performance in that race was about what should be expected.  I wasn't sure if she was killing it, or barking.  Neither, it seems.

dachopper

Super Anarchist
What's it rate?

No, really.  I was watching it on the tracker in the recent Newcastle/Bird Island race - until they broke something they were hanging on well a couple of miles behind Gweilo the TP52, but I couldn't find ratings to indicate whether they should have been there or not.

Oh, and in that race, Celestial put in a very good performance - was that the ex-Ambition, or the previous Celestial?  Anyone know?
Well... From one of the Euro races, their beam reach speed is incredible..... 60 foot botin catching incredible.... for a 46 footer that is.

Most of the other big races they have done.... wind has generally been light with the odd exception, so maybe we see the full potential of a DSS optimized boat for once....... something tells me the IMOCA 60 style foils are the way to go though!

Last edited by a moderator:

duncan (the other one)

Super Anarchist
Siderney
Well... From one of the Euro races, their beam reach speed is incredible..... 60 foot botin catching incredible.... for a 46 footer that is.

Most of the other big races they have done.... wind has generally been light with the odd exception, so maybe we see the full potential of a DSS optimized boat for once....... something tells me the IMOCA 60 style foils are the way to go though!
it'll wholly depend on how the major offshore rating systems (IRC) treat them.

History tells us fast-for-their-length boats are one-trick ponies that never rate well overall, and therefore don't end up being too popular.

Last edited by a moderator:

terrafirma

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
it'll wholly depend on how the major offshore rating systems (IRC) treat them.

History tells us fast-for-their-length boats are one-trick ponies that never rate well overall, and therefore don't end up being too popular.
Yes the problem for Maverick is that they must carry the handicap of a 52 footer with them all the time despite only performing like a 52 footer some of the time. They are penalized for the DSS however it only works in some conditions not all. I would like to know what their results have been in light air races etc?

DickDastardly

Super Anarchist
Syderney
Yes the problem for Maverick is that they must carry the handicap of a 52 footer with them all the time despite only performing like a 52 footer some of the time. They are penalized for the DSS however it only works in some conditions not all. I would like to know what their results have been in light air races etc?
That's not a DSS-specific argument, it's a single number handicap argument.   A heavy cruiser-racer has a fixed handicap delta vs a TP25, in some weather condition/course combos the cruiser-racer will always win and in others, the TP52 will always win.  A DSS boat certainly makes that delta more extreme given that its RM varies with speed, unlike a non-DSS boat. 

A single number handicap is necessarily an average across up, down and reaching conditions and a range of wind strengths.  It will always struggle to fairly handicap disparate boats so weather vs course geometry become the main determinants of success in a lot of races.  That as much less the case in IOR type forming days, but I don't know anyone who wants to go back there.

duncan (the other one)

Super Anarchist
Siderney
That's not a DSS-specific argument, it's a single number handicap argument.   A heavy cruiser-racer has a fixed handicap delta vs a TP25, in some weather condition/course combos the cruiser-racer will always win and in others, the TP52 will always win.  A DSS boat certainly makes that delta more extreme given that its RM varies with speed, unlike a non-DSS boat. 

A single number handicap is necessarily an average across up, down and reaching conditions and a range of wind strengths.  It will always struggle to fairly handicap disparate boats so weather vs course geometry become the main determinants of success in a lot of races.  That as much less the case in IOR type forming days, but I don't know anyone who wants to go back there.
IMS post-constructed weather.

You know you want to

The Dark Knight

Super Anarchist
Brisvegas

You know you want to
by the time the millennials and subsequent generations are dominating boat ownership and racing, there will be a new handicap system that calculates the results so that it's a dead heat for first for all competitors, so everyone is a winner. DNF competitors will also be promoted to winner so as to not make them feel left out.

For the 100th S2H there will be 200 tattersalls prizes handed out The golden age of yachting to come..... 

DickDastardly

Super Anarchist
Syderney

You know you want to
I daren't mention it...and it's a proven turkey in any case.

There's no perfect answer.  Closest is probably grouping boats of similar DLR/Sailing Characteristics together in Divisions rather than by size.  This is sort-of done in some races.  It does mean that the overall winner and placegetters will probably cluster in one division but that's no less an evil than presently IMHO.

Flippin Out

Anarchist
What's it rate?

No, really.  I was watching it on the tracker in the recent Newcastle/Bird Island race - until they broke something they were hanging on well a couple of miles behind Gweilo the TP52, but I couldn't find ratings to indicate whether they should have been there or not.

Oh, and in that race, Celestial put in a very good performance - was that the ex-Ambition, or the previous Celestial?  Anyone know?
Ambition still in it's pen at Sandy Yacht Club as of last night.

SPORTSCAR

Super Anarchist
by the time the millennials and subsequent generations are dominating boat ownership and racing, there will be a new handicap system that calculates the results so that it's a dead heat for first for all competitors, so everyone is a winner. DNF competitors will also be promoted to winner so as to not make them feel left out.

For the 100th S2H there will be 200 tattersalls prizes handed out The golden age of yachting to come..... 
Any chance of you lining up for the 100th Great Race in your newly acquired $80k TP52?

Livia

Super Anarchist
Southern Ocean
I daren't mention it...and it's a proven turkey in any case.

There's no perfect answer.  Closest is probably grouping boats of similar DLR/Sailing Characteristics together in Divisions rather than by size.  This is sort-of done in some races.  It does mean that the overall winner and placegetters will probably cluster in one division but that's no less an evil than presently IMHO.
It is simple, IRC in a long race you just gamble hard.

optimise the boat for a set of conditions really hard

get that you win if not bad luck

this is the biggest failing of IRC.

At least IOR for its fault kept all boats whether 30 feet of 70 fleet in a pretty tight envelope

sure weather will always play a big part but the differences now are so exaggerated.