Sydney to Hobart 2019

duncan (the other one)

Super Anarchist
Siderney
The year I'm thinking of they had it set right up inside of Clarke island, out by Shark where the Wednesday start would have been a better choice, ended up with a boat through their window if I remember rightly...
Indeed...  that's what happens when a swan 65 (?) tries to mount a 34 footer and ends up dragging it along backwards by the backstay.

Weather's looking a bit sporty for Fri night.. might be postponed?

trt131

Super Anarchist
The year I'm thinking of they had it set right up inside of Clarke island, out by Shark where the Wednesday start would have been a better choice, ended up with a boat through their window if I remember rightly...
Jon,

I think your memory needs a little attention.  That start was off Point Piper with the start boat close to the point and the pin end close to the shipping channel, no where near Clarke Island.  Duncan is correct about the incident.  I think the issue was it being a qualifier and a lot of boats not being regular racers not know how to start within the rules.

SCANAS

Super Anarchist
Brisbane
I think the issue was it being a qualifier and a lot of boats not being regular racers not know how to start within the rules.
Fuck if that was the issue they shouldn’t be going on to start on the busiest start line in Aus for mixed fleet!  

terrafirma

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
yeah, and then what, keep it at anchor and not sail it ever because I can't afford to do anything with it.... ;)
Perhaps that's the reason he's not sailing it too often? Then again Oats, BJ and Comanche haven't been out that much this year. You'd think he'd do the Cabbage Race as a warm up? Running costs for a 100 footer are hundred's of thousands..

The Dark Knight

Super Anarchist
Brisvegas
Perhaps that's the reason he's not sailing it too often? Then again Oats, BJ and Comanche haven't been out that much this year. You'd think he'd do the Cabbage Race as a warm up? Running costs for a 100 footer are hundred's of thousands..
BJ & Oats have been getting make overs and perhaps C has not been out because Cooney has been playing with his other toys? The Oatleys have WOX to play with.

Better to buy a boat you can afford to sail

JonRowe

Super Anarchist
Offshore.
I think your memory needs a little attention.  That start was off Point Piper with the start boat close to the point and the pin end close to the shipping channel, no where near Clarke Island.  Duncan is correct about the incident.  I think the issue was it being a qualifier and a lot of boats not being regular racers not know how to start within the rules.
It was a couple of years ago so I'll admit to being hazy but I recall it being much further back towards clark than the point.

The issue was not the number of boats per se, it was two 100fters having a battle on the line causing the fleet to try to squeeze into the other half of the line above them. On the general recall I seem to remember them then starting a bit behind everyone and no issues occurred. Of course if I'm remembering right anyway, lots happened since then ;)

JonRowe

Super Anarchist
Offshore.
What's the go with Infotrack? Do they race at all during the year or just do a qualification race and then the S2H?
They've done the Goldcoast race too in the past? And some "corporate entertainment", I had thought it might have a crack at Hammo given some past "bar karate" but I guess it was talked out of it.

Bill E Goat

Super Anarchist
Sydney
Will be interesting to see if the postpone Cabbage Tree Race till tomorrow morning seeing as the Predictwind forecast is 25 gusting 35, bet they are not keen on sending 67 yachts out in that

image.png

trt131

Super Anarchist
I note that there has been a Gale Warning issued for the Hunter Coast today.  It will probably pass through quite quickly though.