Sydney to Hobart 2019

Livia

Super Anarchist
Southern Ocean
hoppy said:
All that stuff depends on the boat you have. For example, my old Jeanneau would not need a new main (built solid for high wind cruising) but it would need a smaller headsail and storm sails. However, if you had something like the S38 that recently sold in Melbourne, it's likely that a full wardrobe would be required. On the other hand, a boat that recently did the race may be ok sail wise.

Comms is covered in 2) Upgrade boat to cat 1 (depends on boat, as per special regs requirements)

I'm trying to understand the non-boat upgrade items.
Hoppy that is not the comms upgrade I was talking about

your cruising main would not last the distance

and from experience I can say it is cheaper and better to buy the boat with no sails 

sails deteriates even if sitting in the shed

bayboy

So by the sounds of it if you want to do a Hobart you need a syndicate of people just to afford the trip.

HILLY

HILLY
Lake Macquarie
VOA said:
ZuesII won in ‘81 overall. Can you still take an old 1/2? I don’t think so
Kind of, Gun Runner a Jarkan 9.25, just won Corinthian, But an old race half tonner would probably have to go through some measurement hassles, re: scantlings / stability.

It would be great to see a division of old halfs, 3/4er's and 1 tonners do the 75th. Bring back the Gruelling,, just for 1 race..

Have at it, you could start here, I'm sure an old East Coast 31 would pass all tests, bullet proof bloody things.

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/eastcoast-31-classic-grp-half-tonner/207344

SPORTSCAR

Super Anarchist
VOA said:
Anyone who applies to enter a Hobart with a Half Tonner should be taken away in a straight-jacket and committed for their own protection.

Having said that, kudos to the GunRunner dudes, impressive effort. Great boats those 925s, Kanga-Built and bloody near bullet proof.

Livia

Super Anarchist
Southern Ocean
VOA said:
THe very old 1/2 tonner like a currawong make stability but later one will not

Scantling rules does not apply.

But sporty how is that different from any other private owner who wants to take anything less than a 52 to Hobart these days!

Spend lots of money, finish days behind the big boats with no hope of a win.

Livia

Super Anarchist
Southern Ocean
Min 115 for Hobart post 98..
The real question is how you get to the number.

Changes to the screening test make it complete bullshit.

Just get a designer to sign off on a dodgy gz curve and you are all good.

A number of older boats with previously clear AVS have struggled to now make 115 with the change in inclination procedure.

And the solutions demonstrate the process is bullshit.

In one case putting 120kg of lead a metre forward of the mast made the boat have a higher AVS.

Next Level

Sydney
The real question is how you get to the number.

Changes to the screening test make it complete bullshit.

Just get a designer to sign off on a dodgy gz curve and you are all good.

A number of older boats with previously clear AVS have struggled to now make 115 with the change in inclination procedure.

And the solutions demonstrate the process is bullshit.

In one case putting 120kg of lead a metre forward of the mast made the boat have a higher AVS.
Where is the most accurate info for individual designs RM and STIX??

A list of stock production boats stability would be interesting to compare when looking for a affordable boat when putting a campaign together.

Livia

Super Anarchist
Southern Ocean
Having done the numbers few years ago the equation is this.

an old 1/2 toner will be about 0.8500 and a 100 foot canter is 1.650 plus so if  Wild Oats take 2 1/2 days you get to finish on New Year’s Eve and win.

Zues 2 finished 2nd in 2002 to Quest and had a very slow run up the river, I was in the jury room at the RYCT with my back to the window while the jury kept looking past me at Zues 2 as it crept to the finish.