Sydney to Hobart 2019

pulpit

Super Anarchist
For some context on the rating vs LOA limit discussion, Exile with a sugar scoop to take it to 66’ rates 1.42ish under IRC here in the states. 

WOXI and Comanche brush up against 2.0. 
If you go back into the 90’s the Hobart had a Upper speed limit / rating of about 1.600 from memory so all the front runners were at a even pace no matter what length they were. That’s why Sean Langman’s little 66 footer AAPT / Grundig / Xina was always on the heals of the maxi’s and was so close to knocking them off for line Honor’s 

Even Exile was running much bigger spinnakers and sails compared to Brindabella as the 1.600 rating just slowed Brindabella down. I’m shore if Brindabella was to have the same sail area to weight ratio as Exile or AAPT / Grundig / Xina she may of done a little better. Still you can’t make a silk perse out of a sow’s ear no matter how much sail area you through at it. 

It would be interesting to see what would happen if we through in a Upper rating / speed limit now to see how the supper maxi’s would compare, don’t you think ?

Pulpit 

pulpit

Super Anarchist
Why aren't these superyacht participating in this race.
Regulations ban out 100 feet plus yacht for sure but why?
http://theyachtphoto.com/Samurai/#SamuraiMichaelKurtz27.jpg View attachment 331728
Samurai 140 feet

That's the old Mari Cha IV. She was built like a brick shithouse.
I seem to remember that 1 year they did let a Super Yacht enter the race or sail as part of the race and I think it was “Mari Cha lV”. I think it was around the time that NZ was staging the Cup and it was a way to try and get some of the Supper Yacht in Australia. The NSW government were offering great deals to get the boats in Australia from memory and the CYC were asked help out by adding a Supper Yacht division for the race.

Pulpit

greasy al

Anarchist
I seem to remember that 1 year they did let a Super Yacht enter the race or sail as part of the race and I think it was “Mari Cha lV”. I think it was around the time that NZ was staging the Cup and it was a way to try and get some of the Supper Yacht in Australia. The NSW government were offering great deals to get the boats in Australia from memory and the CYC were asked help out by adding a Supper Yacht division for the race.

Pulpit
1999. Mari Cha 3, I think also 140 ft. Had it’s own division and start, about 10 mins before the main start. Smoked it down the coast in the northerly and tied up in Hobart before the 50 knot southerly smashed the back half of the fleet.

Next Level

Sydney
1999. Mari Cha 3, I think also 140 ft. Had it’s own division and start, about 10 mins before the main start. Smoked it down the coast in the northerly and tied up in Hobart before the 50 knot southerly smashed the back half of the fleet.
I think that’s right. The old Mari Cha before the refit.

[email protected]

Super Anarchist
43 south
If you go back into the 90’s the Hobart had a Upper speed limit / rating of about 1.600 from memory so all the front runners were at a even pace no matter what length they were. That’s why Sean Langman’s little 66 footer AAPT / Grundig / Xina was always on the heals of the maxi’s and was so close to knocking them off for line Honor’s 

Even Exile was running much bigger spinnakers and sails compared to Brindabella as the 1.600 rating just slowed Brindabella down. I’m shore if Brindabella was to have the same sail area to weight ratio as Exile or AAPT / Grundig / Xina she may of done a little better. Still you can’t make a silk perse out of a sow’s ear no matter how much sail area you through at it. 

It would be interesting to see what would happen if we through in a Upper rating / speed limit now to see how the supper maxi’s would compare, don’t you think ?

Pulpit 
I remember watching the start one year and Matador (yeah, the one that's now a backpacker bus out of Airlie) was sailing with a main that wasn't full hoist - the commentator noted that because of the rating limit she either had to sail with a fixed prop or fly smaller sails. That's probably the first time I tried (and failed) to get my head around handicap systems.

oneiron

I remember watching the start one year and Matador (yeah, the one that's now a backpacker bus out of Airlie) was sailing with a main that wasn't full hoist - the commentator noted that because of the rating limit she either had to sail with a fixed prop or fly smaller sails. That's probably the first time I tried (and failed) to get my head around handicap systems.

Schakel

Dayboat sailor
I am betting this is a dumb question but screw it I am asking anyway.

Considering WOXI suffered major structural failure causing them to withdraw from a qualifying race how are they then qualified for the S2H?

Next Level

Sydney
I am betting this is a dumb question but screw it I am asking anyway.

Considering WOXI suffered major structural failure causing them to withdraw from a qualifying race how are they then qualified for the S2H?
150 mile / 24hr passage will need to be done I’m guessing. A number of boats will need to do this to qualify for Hobart. 

yachtie2k4

Super Anarchist
I think that’s right. The old Mari Cha before the refit.
Mari cha 3 it was, 146 foot ketch  designed in 97 designed by philippe briand this is the website for her. Pretty sure they were used as the radio relay vessel as the Young Endeavor was doing something else and were not in the actual race but held the 'passage record' they beat nokia by 2hrs. https://www.mari-cha.com/#specifications.  Mari cha 4/samurai is 140ft designed by Mr Elliott. Iirc they couldn't build a sloop Rob as they didn't have manual grinders/winches at the time to handle anymore sail area so went with the schooner rig. During the refit they also removed the canting keel, might be part of the reason she is alot more tender now too!

JL92S

Super Anarchist
UK
Mari cha 3 it was, 146 foot ketch  designed in 97 designed by philippe briand this is the website for her. Pretty sure they were used as the radio relay vessel as the Young Endeavor was doing something else and were not in the actual race but held the 'passage record' they beat nokia by 2hrs. https://www.mari-cha.com/#specifications.  Mari cha 4/samurai is 140ft designed by Mr Elliott. Iirc they couldn't build a sloop Rob as they didn't have manual grinders/winches at the time to handle anymore sail area so went with the schooner rig. During the refit they also removed the canting keel, might be part of the reason she is alot more tender now too!
Who even signed off on the Samurai refit? 

Skipper_nz

So I know this happens before the Fastnet, but has there ever been safety inspections on the water pre race? 

Most of the tp52s only have 60-80L diesel tanks which is not enough for the rules, and I am guessing that they also don't have the capacity to carry the water required for the race. 

So I know this happens before the Fastnet, but has there ever been safety inspections on the water pre race? 

Most of the tp52s only have 60-80L diesel tanks which is not enough for the rules, and I am guessing that they also don't have the capacity to carry the water required for the race. 
Most boats are inspected in a marina before the race. But once they leave the dock.... no

Latest posts