Sydney to Hobart 2019

Francis Vaughan

Super Anarchist
Depends upon your perception of extended periods. All well and good if the race is little more than an overnighter at 20+ knots in a maxi. The guys in Gun Runner probably have a rather different view.

1_&_in

Super Anarchist
Feilberg,

Yes, the Indian did have a shocker at the start, just remember It's not who's first out of the harbour that wins this race, but who's  first across the finish line that matters ( or Protest outcomes ). 

It's great to see Jim as a  owner / driver steering his own boat at the start in a big race don't you think ?

One could say that the he needs to look at his crew if they had to take over at 3.30 to go don't you think ? 

After all he is paying the bills so he should be able to what ever he wants, and there are plenty of owners that pay crew to tell they what to do when racing at top levels, just look at TP52's so why can't he do the same thing.

When you look at the Big Indian and Jim looking at moving it on ? Jim has done a awesome job in the last year in getting the boat going faster and improving her light weather performance . Jim has spend plenty of coin to get it to were it is now and I can see him beginning to question him self as to if he keeps the boat or not. It's not the cost in dollars  that's the problem as He has plenty of coin and he  has spent plenty of time in the last year on the boat as well. Yes, as a super maxi owner he's learning how much it cost to be at the front of the fleet and stay there. The biggest problem that I see he has is it's the wrong design of boat for Australia. The Indian was designed as a flat out record chaser for the big down wind races and when you look at most of our major races in Australia it's not the right boat. Oats, BJ, Wild thing and Scallywag are all better designs for our normal races and conditions. So as far as passing it on to a new owner, I can understand that as well. 

So lets see what happens and watch this space as far as the Big Indian.

Pulpit
Nice.

the start is so important. 

as you say he's dripping cash everywhere on that boat to give it the best chance, hired all the right people. Why after all that effort would you not give your team the best possible chance and put number 1 starting helm on? 

In that fleet of 100s the start area is tiny and he's up against the best.

Good luck to him in my opinion he blew that race.

You ask about the crew, you are kidding mate they would have had to take a safe option.

You did watch it right?

Anyway as u say he "pay the cost to be the boss"

Have a great day!

Last edited by a moderator:

pulpit

Super Anarchist
37 minutes ago, Feilberg said:

Nice.

the start is so important. 

as you say he's dripping cash everywhere on that boat to give it the best chance, hired all the right people. Why after all that effort would you not give your team the best possible chance and put number 1 starting helm on? 

In that fleet of 100s the start area is tiny and he's up against the best.

Good luck to him in my opinion he blew that race.

You ask about the crew, you are kidding mate they would have had to take a safe option.

You did watch it right?

Mate I have seen the start and yes maybe the crew starting was the better and safer option. The thing is he had hired the best for the race in Jamie Spithill, the thing is Jamie had to pull out due to injury and not much time to get Kenny or anyone else.

I hope that he keeps the boat and gives it a red hot go as it’s great to see the 100’s finally matching up to each other and this year was very close. I wonder how the 100’s will go in a real Southey buster and how the old pocket maxis or Volvo 70’s will fair. You can only slow these boats down so much in a blow before damage will start to take them out. 

Pulpit

Next Level

Sydney
Anyone know of a S38 / first 40 or similar available for the 75th? I’ve been doing a little bit of digging but haven’t gotten very far as yet...

pulpit

Super Anarchist
Anyone know of a S38 / first 40 or similar available for the 75th? I’ve been doing a little bit of digging but haven’t gotten very far as yet...

Ask Hoppy. He has their details plastered on his bedroom ceiling.
Now, now, if it as on the roof, hoppy’s misses would have to look at it every time they have sex and he was on top. It’s got to be on the wall, that way every time she puts the strap on, Hoppy can look at them and think of England. Lol

pulpit

Curious

Anarchist
Yeah, I would have laminated that hull and deck in my 20's so that's a concern, the 70's were a bit of a blur. Hornet a few spots up would be a safer bet I reccon, all timber, no cigarette butts in her layup!
Was Hornet the Dunc 3/4 ton plug?

Curious

Anarchist
I think she may have been in Hobart but I'm not sure whether there was just an S&S36 of that name or two boats of that name.

The Duncos were pretty tough I thought,you can't have been doing too bad a job.

LB 15

Cunt
You might find a private owner who will rent you the keys to their boat for the Hobart but no charter company in Aus is going to let a bunch of punters bash the shit out of a business asset with out a Pro skipper on board. If you want to go bareboating Croatia is nice but you will need an ICC.  I have had two enquires about our BH 41 for the Hobart.I said you can charter it for 90k or buy it for 80.